DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

USA won the Roller Derby World Cup this past weekend, they defeated England in the finals and Australia defeated Canada for third. Lots of lopsided bouts including Sweden pitching a shutout against Japan (459 to 0) but there was some exciting ones too.

I coached Greece(in the process of getting dual citizenship) and we ended up third in our group and lost in a consolation game to Colombia.

Group Play(40 minute bouts)

Belgium 174 - Greece 96

Greece 125 - Italy 82

Australia 449 - Greece 17

Consolation Bout(60 minutes)

Colombia 305 - Greece 136

The event was an amazing experience for everyone involved but the organization and business aspect of it left a bad taste in my mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

The PDC World Darts Championship starts today! Drunk loogans and announcers shouting out "onnnnnneeeee hunnndddrrreedd and eeeeiiiggggghhhtttyyyyy". I wish there was a way I could stream this at work. :)

I love that it looks like rows of 8 foot folding tables on the floor of an arena with nothing more than pitchers of beer and tons of drunken fans screaming.

John Part loses on day 1, and my wagers ended up being 3-2. Unfortunately for me, two of my winners were massive favorite, so I only broke even on Day 1 of the PDC World Championship.

Day 2 today has a stacked lineup, with Peter Wright and Phil Taylor as the headliners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There was an incident at the Tim Horton's Brier the other night, where Northern Ontario players actually hit the legs of Ontario players who, when after throwing their stone, would kneel on the ice, leaving knee marks in the ice. After requesting that they stop, when the request fell on deaf ears, it was time to start smacking people with brooms!

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/contact-controversy-at-the-brier--did-northern-ontario-cross-a-physical-line-in-its-game-against-ontario-063642140.html

Guest The Magnificent 7

Kind of refreshing in that curling story that there's a debate about the ethics / Corinthian values of the sport and it's not just win at all costs / cheat to win excuses like in most of the major sports these days.  It does my head in when announcers excuse divers in football as "giving the referee something to think about / a decision to make." 

• 1 month later...

The season finished and the ladies finished...fifth.

Above local rivals Bedford, and above the SCUM of Leighton Buzzard.

And Mrs Red has been nominated for the town's sport awards.

Matter of fact...

www.lutonsportsnetwork.com/home/luton-sports-personality-of-2014-pg-2/

If you could vote for Helen Beattie as Sport club member of the year, I'd fucking love you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have gotten into this college softball with this year's tournament. Just as in women's college basketball, these women put all of their heart and soul into their sport making it a blast to watch. The 2015 college World Series consists of 5 SEC, 2 PAC-10 teams and Michigan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Caught a Gotham Girls bout for the first time in a few years on Coney Island over the weekend... they thrashed Denver in the main event, and their B team and junior team did similar nuke jobs in the preliminaries. They are a freakin' juggernaut.

I bring this up because I had the opportunity to watch the Legends (cough cough) Football League on Fuse last weekend while the fiancee had a girls' night out... the contrast between the two leagues is more than a little depressing, even given that it's entirely different sports. I feel sorry for their players because they clearly want to be taken seriously, but it's impossible given what they're wearing and the kind of crowds the league caters to. You'd think there might be a market for a women's football league that didn't involve the players dressing up like a bad "Swank" pictorial (I, uh, read it for the articles). Contrast that with roller derby... it's women going out there without any cheesecake, no exposed skin beyond their arms and maybe bike shorts, and just wrecking everyone on the track. Cindy absolutely loves it and has said she'd have joined a league if it were around in this form in her college days.

Anyhoo, WFTDA Nationals are set for St. Paul in November. Gotham, Rose City (Portland), London and Victorian Roller Derby League (Melbourne) are the top regional seeds. Be there aloha.

• 2 weeks later...

God damn women's gymnastics is a joke right now. Here is the state of it going into the world championships roughly off of the top of my head.

1. USA.

2. Hit By A Car.

3. China.

4. Russia.

5. Fourth Place Forever AKA: Romania.

6. UK.

7. Italy.

8. Australia.

9. Hit By A Second Car.

10. Everyone Else But South America and Cuba

11. Argentina.

12. Shawn Johnson who is broken down and retired.

13. Al Trautwig.

14. Cuba.

15. Columbia.

At this rate the U.S. Could send Simone Biles and a bunch of juniors and probably still win the gold come Rio.

Yay for us I guess.

Endurance sport nerd.  Aside from the weird crossfit/obstacle race things (Spartan), I'll try or watch anything related to running/cycling/swimming. Really into marathons and triathlons (done about 20 marathons, finished a few half-ironman tris.  Hope to do a full Ironman in the next two or three years).  Also really into the less mainstream offshoots.  To wit:

open-water swimming (sucker for the marathon swims like English channel)

trail/fell running

ultramarathons

running across the US

Hill/mountain running/

Tour de France is seriously my favorite sporting event.  Hawaii Ironman 2nd.  Super Bowl and NCAA basketball tournament 3rd and 4th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...