DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

IFVxdib.jpg

Ronnie O'Sullivan just won the World Snooker Championship for a record-tying 7th time, 21 years after his first world title. Also the oldest world champion at 46.

The GOAT. The records Ronnie O'Sullivan holds:

The best there has ever been or ever will be. A genius.

Edited by The Natural

O'Sullivan has now also won an unsurpassed 21 titles across snooker's prestigious 'Triple Crown' events - the World Championship, the UK Championship and the invitational Masters - three more than Hendry's 18 and six more than Davis achieved.

014f00c6-abd8-480c-aab2-2857cff498a7.png

Ronnie O'Sullivan only loss was to Mark Selby in 2014, 18-14.

One more note - Rich Strike was in 17th place when the horses took the final turn.  

Also, the Superfecta paid out ~$321,500 for a $2 bet. 

Some degenerate bought a lot of NFT apes Saturday night. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a move that's going to have really far reaching ripple effects, I'm afraid.... 

FINA, the international swimming board, has banned any trans-identifying female athlete from competition in their preferred gender identity, if they did not begin transitioning with hormone therapy before they entered puberty.  

So far, this will only affect non-Olympic international swim meets, but could be used as justification for banning trans-identifying athletes throughout the world of international sports.  

I just get the horrible, sinking feeling that 20-30 years from now, the vast majority people are going to look back on this decision with the same horror and revulsion that people have when they said unfathomably stupid things like black people are better athletes because of the extra bone in their ankle, etc. etc.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 6/21/2022 at 9:48 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

In a move that's going to have really far reaching ripple effects, I'm afraid.... 

FINA, the international swimming board, has banned any trans-identifying female athlete from competition in their preferred gender identity, if they did not begin transitioning with hormone therapy before they entered puberty.  

So far, this will only affect non-Olympic international swim meets, but could be used as justification for banning trans-identifying athletes throughout the world of international sports.  

I just get the horrible, sinking feeling that 20-30 years from now, the vast majority people are going to look back on this decision with the same horror and revulsion that people have when they said unfathomably stupid things like black people are better athletes because of the extra bone in their ankle, etc. etc.  

Assuming people have discovered that trans folks are actually, y'know, human beings by then. Part of me hopes that the gigantic backlash against trans folks will generate a similar backlash against those bigots, but the people who seem to be shrugging their shoulders about the attempts to criminalize healthcare for trans kids in states by going "well why don't you just move" (answer: because it's expensive, and you eventually run out of places to move) don't seem to get why it's important.

Anyway, physicians and endocrinologists have been slowly adopting hormonal treatment like puberty blockers, but not at a pace enough to justify something like this. Really nothing is enough to justify something like this. But hey, since when has scientific study ever gotten in the way of bigotry?

I'm very tired.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYFnKKKX0AAqg7l?format=jpg&name=small

Jake Wightman is the first British World Champion in the 1500 meters since Steve Cram who won it in 1983, 39 years ago. BTW, who called Wightman’s gold medal-winning race tonight? Steve Cram on BBC Sport.