DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2k15

RonL21

I am still highly enjoying this game, almost in spite of itself sometimes.

In MyCareer, you basically get three one-month angles a year, working up from NXT to Main Event to Superstars to SmackDown to Raw.  The other times, you either do dark matches or "tune up" matches (on TV, at least) while Vickie Guerrero keeps telling you "Nice match, we'll see if you're in line for a push" and repeat.

That sounds either like the most boring idea ever... or possibly the most brilliantly accurate simulation of an actual WWE career in history.  

I mean, it's Zack Ryder's career, but it's disturbingly dead on..

Watching these videos, the thing that sticks out most to me is how excruciatingly terrible Michael Cole is at voice work.

Love him or hate him, Lawler actually sounds like he's calling the match, Cole sounds like he doesn't want to be there at all.  Perhaps he should invest in some acting or improv lessons.

turns out the career mode immediately triumphantly ends if you win the WWE title; this is unspeakably stupid

the voice work is somehow mostly pretty good on the showcase mode cutscenes, insofar as it sounds like Cole and Lawler spontaneously calling what is happening. The in-match stuff seems to be mostly terrible because they've been given incredibly stupid stuff to say in the first place, like Lawler saying Jericho's deadly Codebreaker is a form of a backbreaker, or the overlong, unsolicited lists of all of a wrestler's deadly signature moves/2011 PPV matches without any regard to the context of the ongoing match

The actual matches are fuckin A if you don't accidentally get pinned by something lame though, had such a good little man vs big man match against Rusev for the NXT title, he was the first guy to kick out of my finisher in career mode and he would've pinned me off a top rope cross body reversal if I he wasn't too gassed to pull me away from the ropes for the pin

It's way more difficult to get pinned by something lame as the kickout meter adjusts according to what move you just received. Had a bunch of really fun matches even in showcase mode with the CPU on normal.

The Royal Rumble match is so fucking fun with this new stamina system.

I was Dbrine and they fucking had me enter as number one. I got all the way to 28 before SHAWN MICHAELS eliminated me. Fucking Crypt Keeper looking piece of shit.

Could you do downed submission finishers in previous games? I tried going for the Walls of Jericho and I got a lame leg kick animation which consumed my finisher. Same thing happened with Flair and the Figure 4. That's my only complaint with the Rumble.

I guess I'm an idiot, I can't figure out how to be a heel in My Career. I'm taunting like crazy and getting DQ'd with chairshots, but Vickie keeps telling me the match was awful and my meter is in the middle.

My thinking is that this can only happen in the cutscenes when you are given a choice to do something (shake Bryan's hands/kick him in the balls). 

I think the mode has a lot of potential but they have to keep polishing it. 

I guess I'm an idiot, I can't figure out how to be a heel in My Career. I'm taunting like crazy and getting DQ'd with chairshots, but Vickie keeps telling me the match was awful and my meter is in the middle.

The ring post big boot OMG always gets you some heel points.

I'm sorry but Cena had it coming

Power Move Pro Wrestling reference! That game fucking ruled! I still randomly blurt out some of the things the audience would yell.

Don't forget the ring announcer: "He gets all of the ladies...and some of the men! LANCE DEW-LOCKKKKK!"

• Like 1

YES! And referee Rothburn Salley. What a great game. The Toukon series was a nice change of pace from the Aki games. The N64 New Japan game had that wicked animated booklet with the cool cartoons of each guy. I think I was most hyped about getting that when I bought it all those years ago.

I wonder how 2K reacts to the mediocre-to-negative reviews and nuclear heat they're getting from their fanbase (apparently the 2K forums are a gong show). Do companies generally put more money into struggling franchises to turn the corner or do they just hope for a better go 'round? I know a lot of people said they were going to cancel their preorders but I think there was enough of a dedicated fanbase that they made decent coin. Going from what 2K did with their hockey and baseball games in the past, I doubt we'll see a dramatic turn about. It's pretty amazing that there are still animations from the first flippin' Smackdown game in 2K15. That's just mind-boggling.

Well, I get the feeling that 2K gets a shit ton of money from this game, with the WWE contract.  The hockey and baseball games were different, because there was a competitor on the market making a superior game.  There is no such competitor in wrestling.  So my hope is that they put the same dedication they have to the NBA license behind this.

• Like 1

Not to mention that the people complaining are probably less than 10% of their sales base, and I feel like I'm being generous saying that much. And of those 10%, probably close to half don't even have legit complaints.

It probably has the effect of water rolling off a duck's back.

I got a copy for ~$45, and it should be coming today. I'm excited in spite of all the limitations and stuff, we'll see I guess.