DVDVR Message Board

Studio Ghibli closing

odessasteps

From ANN:

Studio Ghibli representative director and co-founder Toshio Suzuki appeared on the TBS television program Jōnetsu Tairiku on Sunday to discuss the studio's future after Hayao Miyazaki's retirement from directing feature films.

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that they may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.

Suzuki did not downplay the significance of Miyazaki's retirement. Still, he added, "On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing [movies] forever. However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

I've heard many rumblings that is they DID cease production, that Disney would pick it up.  They were the ones who distributed and dubbed all of the films in the States.  Seems like it would be a low cost, reasonable reward pickup.

Cagliostro (my favorite Miyazaki film, funnily) wasn't Ghibli's, but might as well be, considering Miyazaki became nearly synonymous with the studio. My favorite Ghibli movie is Totoro, if anyone cares (NO ONE DOES).

I'd glad they aren't closing, or I hope they won't close, or whatever. I'm unsure of what's happening here, but I would hate to lose such a bright light on the world of anime and animation in general, especially now that anime seems destined to continue sinking in the La Brea tar pit that is endless sister-con/teenage-titty show hell.