DVDVR Message Board

Worst Indy push you've ever seen...

If I ran a wrestling promotion I don't think I'd choose "DOA" for its name.

Hey, I didn't name it, I just worked for it. :)

DOA Pro Wrestling was formed by a group of wrestlers that all quit the shitty NWWA promotion at the same time to form their own group.  They were told that their new promotion would be DOA inside of two months.  And thus, it became DOA Pro Wrestling.  

• Like 2

Da Hit Squad.

Just two short obese guys constantly using AJPW finishes as mid-match moves.

Aw. At least one of them lurks here.

and not just AJPW finishes, the motherfucking burning hammer.. Kobashi's super exclusive emergency finisher, appropriated and reduced to shit

they got massive pops back in the day & knew how to fire up smark crowds, though, but I don't know if that's a mega compliment :)

To be fair, Maff wasn't busting out the Burning Hammer mid-match. That was always his finisher, and it was protected accordingly.

I'm reminded of a guy who briefly showed up on the local indy scene for five minutes around 8-9 years ago who wanted to start a DVD/VOD service called Wrestle UK, and since the acronym would be "WUK", he kept going on about the merchandising possibilities of shirts that said "WUK OFF" and "WUK YOU". THAT's the dirt worst I ever heard. Who would even wear something like that? It didn't even make any wuking sense!

In 2000 I attended an indy show in Northern Michigan. Main event was Typhoon vs Tatanka, semi-main was a tag team match of Sabu/Bruce Hart vs. Brutus Beefcake/Greg Valentine. The promoters rented a frigging BOXING ring from a local gym so damn near anything involving running the ropes or climbing the ropes looked like shit, though god bless him that didn't stop Sabu from making three attempts at a springboard bodypress to the outside onto Beefcake, who didn't make any effort to protect Sabu when the rope sagged forward and he went splat on the floor. No give to the mat either so bumps had to suck ass that night.

Anyhoo, the name of the promotion was the Renegades Alliance of Wrestling.

So all the flyers had pics of Tatanka, Sabu, Valentine/Beefcake, Terry Funk (who brawled all over the arena with Bruce Hart and then got a private plane to work a WCW PPV later that night against Kevin Nash), with giant letters:

"R.A.W. is coming to town!"

And onto the worst indy push, I would just say any shitty booker/indy owner that brings in ex-WWE/WCW/ECW talent a couple times a year to job to him. Good work, you're a mark who paid a bunch of cash so you can say that you beat Sandman, Raven, Buff Bagwell, and Jim Neidhart. The locals are well aware that you're probably going to beat Brodus Clay when he comes to town next month. And you've done absolutely nothing else in wrestling worth noting.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone better in the know can elaborate on Australia's WCW/IPW federation.

"Hawk"...guy who was like 70 and never sold for anyone and always in the main event, coincidentally owner.

His son, Cruz, who wasn't a bad worker, but also always in the main event, had an odd Jason-like gimmick, and from all reports a piece of shit - would shoot on guys who got better reactions than he did - know a few young guys who ended up with a broken nose or jaw because he was an unprofessional fuck. 

And onto the worst indy push, I would just say any shitty booker/indy owner that brings in ex-WWE/WCW/ECW talent a couple times a year to job to him. Good work, you're a mark who paid a bunch of cash so you can say that you beat Sandman, Raven, Buff Bagwell, and Jim Neidhart. The locals are well aware that you're probably going to beat Brodus Clay when he comes to town next month. And you've done absolutely nothing else in wrestling worth noting.

There's a wannabe "wrestling" "promoter" going by Iron Buddah up here.  Or Von Hess.  Or Von Hess Sullivan.  Or whatever the fuck he calls himself these days.  He runs a barely-above-backyard "promotion" called SCW, that used to run on reservations and in literal backyards so they wouldn't get whacked by the commission.  (There's tons of Indian land in the area, and fly-by-night places would use them to avoid the commission).  When that stopped up, he started doing "charity" shows since he can't legally charge for admission (which still violates the commission rules, but he hasn't been brought up yet).

Anyway, he's now bragged for close to five years about pinning Raven.  In his own promotion.  In a match he booked.  Against a guy he paid for himself.

This is also the fuck that challenged a number of my friends to fights, sometimes literally with a tire iron in his hand, only to back down when one of them actually called him on it.

Fuck, I hate Washington.  If anyone ever asks, I trained on the road in Oregon or in Canada.  

Hopefully someone better in the know can elaborate on Australia's WCW/IPW federation.

"Hawk"...guy who was like 70 and never sold for anyone and always in the main event, coincidentally owner.

His son, Cruz, who wasn't a bad worker, but also always in the main event, had an odd Jason-like gimmick, and from all reports a piece of shit - would shoot on guys who got better reactions than he did - know a few young guys who ended up with a broken nose or jaw because he was an unprofessional fuck. 

I'm assuming this is different than the Jim Barnett "WCW" in Australia.  Or is it?

In 2000 I attended an indy show in Northern Michigan. Main event was Typhoon vs Tatanka, semi-main was a tag team match of Sabu/Bruce Hart vs. Brutus Beefcake/Greg Valentine. The promoters rented a frigging BOXING ring from a local gym so damn near anything involving running the ropes or climbing the ropes looked like shit, though god bless him that didn't stop Sabu from making three attempts at a springboard bodypress to the outside onto Beefcake, who didn't make any effort to protect Sabu when the rope sagged forward and he went splat on the floor. No give to the mat either so bumps had to suck ass that night.

Anyhoo, the name of the promotion was the Renegades Alliance of Wrestling.

So all the flyers had pics of Tatanka, Sabu, Valentine/Beefcake, Terry Funk (who brawled all over the arena with Bruce Hart and then got a private plane to work a WCW PPV later that night against Kevin Nash), with giant letters:

"R.A.W. is coming to town!"

Also at this show. May have been backstage when Sabu called Beefcake a "fucking pussy" right to his face, to which Brutus just shrugged and walked away.

• Like 1