DVDVR Message Board

Worst Indy push you've ever seen...

Does Dragon Soldier B count?

I was at that show, and putting aside the fact that the crowd actually expected a ROH guy to win, the guy is really good.

You may be the first person I've ever seen use the words "very good" to describe Kendo Kashin.

I was at the show also, and absolutely hated him.  I would think sometimes why, and am not sure if it was because he was bad or because with all the other matches he was just trolling us.  I've heard of Kendo, but didn't realize it was him until after the show.  But going from a Danielson/Spanky match to him it certainly stood out.  I'd need to see the match as it's been nine years.

I'd go with Jim Christian from Eastern Wrestling Alliance in Maryland.  I know he's not well-known, but he's and old wrestling promoter who books himself to be the hero that saves the day.  Can't wrestle, has no reason to be anywhere near the show.  I tend to go there and channel my inner MST3K.  It's a small indy that sucks, but this guy being the top hero certainly won't do them any favors.

I don't follow the indy scene as well as you guys, but that's my pick off the top of my head.

Faroh of Phunk,yeah he spells it that way. 

Multiple time NWA MS State champ,but only because his mom owned the MS NWA fed for years. He is barely 5'4",comes out to "Jigga Juice",wearing tights that look like he stole them from some 1980s Utah jobber,and those gas station t-shirts with "witty" sayings on them. The only good thing he has is he has an ok amount of natural charisma. That is it.Some of the absolutely worst indie matches I have seen had Faroh in them. The worst part is his home fed,which quit the NWA back when the shit when down with Colt and Pearce in Australia,has spun off 3 or 4 feds. All of which use Faroh as their main event talent. Even when none of the feds using him can draw more than 30 people.

I will probably get heat for this but I am going to say Cheetah Master.

You'll only get heat because you mention Cheetah Master but overlook JJ the Ring Crew Guy

plus, CM wasn't that bad....he would have been better if it wasn't for constant battles with Athlete's food

I dunno.  I did watch the Maximo's put themselves over Ultimo Dragon.

And a guy that booked a *really* low rent indy have himself as champ.  Course, he did actually book himself to lose at some points and actually looked bigger than most guys in the joint.

I also remember when Corluzzo's NWA tried to push Jason Knight, fresh off of leaving ECW the first time, as a credible threat to Severn.

Hey Mister Cryptic we want some dirt not a tease of dirt

Sorry, didn't mean to be all cryptic. :)  It was more a comment that for all the big stuff you hear, all the shitty fly-by-nighters with no physique and even less training end up with pushes because either they own the promotion, are related to the owner of the promotion, drank with the owner of the promotion, put posters up that week, sold two or three tickets to fans, or whatnot.  Mostly whatnot.

As Jim Cornette once said, the guys that know how don't have the money, and the guys that have the money don't know how.  Pretty much every promotion around here save three don't have the money AND they don't know how.  

(ECCW, DOA, and WCWC, in case anyone was wondering.  Any other promotion in BC, WA or OR is a complete waste of time and, in 99% of the cases, don't deserve to be called "promotions.")

Jay Lethal probably.  The guy isn't terrible but he does absolutely nothing for me.

What ever happened to that guy?  I remember him being touted as an indy superstar before indy superstars were really a thing.  The only matches of his I've seen were some stuff from 2001ish ECWA but it seemed like he'd be a natural fit to go to ROH or Chikara.

Jay Lethal probably.  The guy isn't terrible but he does absolutely nothing for me.

What ever happened to that guy?  I remember him being touted as an indy superstar before indy superstars were really a thing.  The only matches of his I've seen were some stuff from 2001ish ECWA but it seemed like he'd be a natural fit to go to ROH or Chikara.

AFAIK, he is still the owner of a fitness center in Delaware.  I think the real indy superstars in Cheetah Master's life were the guys like Reckless Youth and Simon Diamond that could carry him to great performances.

You'll only get heat because you mention Cheetah Master but overlook JJ the Ring Crew Guy

I've only seen these two in one match, which was a handicap match with Cheetah Master vs JJ and a guy called Patch, who was easily the worst man in the ring, though I don't know if he ever got any kind of push

Jimmy Rave, BJ Whitmer, Jack Evans and Carnage Crew were all fast-forward material for me in the 2003-2008 ROH days. Worst indy guy I ever saw was probably General Trent Steele but I didn't follow his "home" promotion enough for him to be overbearing, he'd just show up on other local cards or DVDs. Him vs. Playboy Johnny Love was a disaster, but that was mostly down to Love forgetting to kick out, twice.

I'd do champions of combat

CoC

I would go with Championship American Wrestling Khaos for my wrestling fed.  My MMA fed would be American Shootfighting Syndicate

Just don't book an invasion angle...

A promotion started up around a decade ago just an hour up the road from me called Cream of Wrestling. Their logo said "COW - Putting the beef back into wrestling!" And there was me thinking TNA was the dumbest name possible for a promotion...

• Like 1

Jimmy Rave, BJ Whitmer, Jack Evans and Carnage Crew were all fast-forward material for me in the 2003-2008 ROH days. Worst indy guy I ever saw was probably General Trent Steele but I didn't follow his "home" promotion enough for him to be overbearing, he'd just show up on other local cards or DVDs. Him vs. Playboy Johnny Love was a disaster, but that was mostly down to Love forgetting to kick out, twice.

I'd do champions of combat

CoC

I would go with Championship American Wrestling Khaos for my wrestling fed. My MMA fed would be American Shootfighting Syndicate

Just don't book an invasion angle...

A promotion started up around a decade ago just an hour up the road from me called Cream of Wrestling. Their logo said "COW - Putting the beef back into wrestling!" And there was me thinking TNA was the dumbest name possible for a promotion...
Evans and Whitmer were both in too much cool shit for me to ever buy ad being bad, let alone on a list like this. Rave was pretty damn great in the Embassy. And I'll go ahead and do the "The Carnage Crew fucking ruled" statement before someone else I know does.

And really, if wanted to play the odd pushes in RoH history, do ewe have to go any further the Sal Rinauro and Tony Mamaluke, RoH Tag Team Champions.

When I was at the height of being an obnoxious smark, I was at an ROH show and Carnage Crew came out for their match. I flipped them off during the intros and said, "you two can't fucking work." Well HC Loc happened to notice this, called me Ric Flair and challenged me to come into the ring. I didn't because they're professional wrestlers who would obliterate me in an instant and I was just an obnoxious kid.

They won the tag titles about five minutes later and hugged the guy sitting in front of me while I sat there stunned. I sucked.

I LOVED Jack Evans though. He didn't wrestle every ROH show so it always seemed like a treat when you'd get to see him. I loved his teamwork with Roderick Strong and thought Jack just did cool shit. He was like a better Amazing Red.

ROH kinda got really lucky in 2004. When TNA pulled AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Amazing Red and others, ROH replaced them with Austin Aries, Alex Shelley and Jack Evans, all arguably better versions of the guys they replaced. Not so lucky by 2008 though.

Generation Next in General might be RoHs finest booking moment. Made 4 guys, and each and every one of them got over and stayed over, even if all of there careers have taken them in different directions.

But yeah, the Carnage Crew to me is clearly that team that if you are looking for great in ring matches, yeah, you'll be let down. But they weren't there for that. RoH was so great in there stretch run because they had everything you could be looking for, and the Carnage Crew were clearly contributors in the brawling aspect.

• Like 1

Da Hit Squad.

Just two short obese guys constantly using AJPW finishes as mid-match moves.

Aw. At least one of them lurks here.

and not just AJPW finishes, the motherfucking burning hammer.. Kobashi's super exclusive emergency finisher, appropriated and reduced to shit

they got massive pops back in the day & knew how to fire up smark crowds, though, but I don't know if that's a mega compliment :)