DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Such a joke.

Speaking of which, top flight teams will be using Football Manager's data indirectly. Prozone Recruitment will be incorporating the FM database into theirs and a bunch of Premier League teams employ Prozone.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The soccer folder is like a refuge.  I'm not sure why I venture outside of it anymore. 

Anyway, Celtic this week were like those two women here in Indiana who escaped dying by train by laying on the tracks on that bridge, with the train rolling over them. Unharmed, then they found a lottery ticket worth over 10 million on the way home (Forster money). 

And decided to spend their incredibly good fortune on a 1985 Yugo. 

In - Aleksander Tonev (loan - Villa)

- Some Belgian youngster from City (loan)

A couple of the guys I work with are huge into club football. I've watched a fair bit of EPL the past couple seasons and the Champions League but I'm thinking about getting into it a lot more. MLS isn't cutting it and the World Cup has left me with an itch..  It's too bad I still don't fully understand how contracts/transfers work. I know some have been helpful in previous months in explaining it but I still need to do more reading as those types of things [just like offseason football or free agency in the NBA] really interest me.

A couple of the guys I work with are huge into club football. I've watched a fair bit of EPL the past couple seasons and the Champions League but I'm thinking about getting into it a lot more. MLS isn't cutting it and the World Cup has left me with an itch..  It's too bad I still don't fully understand how contracts/transfers work. I know some have been helpful in previous months in explaining it but I still need to do more reading as those types of things [just like offseason football or free agency in the NBA] really interest me.

I'll just be over here watching how this plays out.

It's too bad I still don't fully understand how contracts/transfers work.

Avoid being a fan of the 2 big clubs from Spain.

Raul Jimenez from Club America has been transferred to Atletico Madrid.

.  It's too bad I still don't fully understand how contracts/transfers work. I know some have been helpful in previous months in explaining it but I still need to do more reading as those types of things [just like offseason football or free agency in the NBA] really interest me.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

Did Shane Long really go for 12m?  Football is so incredibly fucked beyond belief. 

And I really like Shane Long. 

Milton Keynes won today 3-1.  Bummer. 

Did Shane Long really go for 12m?  Football is so incredibly fucked beyond belief. 

And I really like Shane Long. 

Milton Keynes won today 3-1.  Bummer. 

BPL is incredibly exiting to look at. Even during the transfer windows, the most ridiculous and over the top stuff takes place here. Well, apart from PSG and Monaco, maybe.

The Bundesliga is starting to get there, with Bayern splashing the cash they have earned over the years, teams like Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Hoffenheim having some major corporate backing and the big traditional clubs like Dortmund, Schalke and Hamburg either working with debts to an extent or using other sorts of financial backing.

Another day in German football, another champion retiring. Per Mertesacker calls an end to a long career in the black-and-white. The big old giraffe is going to focus on his club career in the future. I guess, subconciously, he is also making way for younger and more agile center backs. He stated that he preferred ending his international career as long as it´s on his own terms.

On another note, while Dortmund´s super cup win over Bayern was an official game, the real involvement of Bundesliga clubs started today with the first round of the German cup. Mainz, who had just failed to qualify for the EURO league, had a spectacular setback. They went out to third division Chemnitzer FC after a 5-4 loss in the penalty shoot-out. The real sensation however was that the penalty-shootout had one goal less than the 120 minutes played beforehand. After Mainz went up 2-0 right after the half, Chemnitz tied the game within 6 minutes after Mainz´s second, only to conceed with less than 20 minutes to go. With two minutes remaining, a really late goal sent the match into extra time. Here, the underdogs took the lead twice against previous seasons seventh placed Bundesliga team, once from a Mainz-own goal, then with only one minute remaining. Mainz equalized with a shot coming from their own half when the Chemnitz-goalie was off his line after a clearance, only to be eliminated in pks. Crazy stuff!

• Like 2

They're looking good, especially adjusting to a new formation.

Biggest difference from last year, they're adjusting tatically during the game.

That and having 2 U21's starting.

EDIT: *Sigh* Then again...  Its only the first game.