DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

from the Daily Mirror:

Some big transfer news coming out of Old Trafford where Howard Webb has announced his retirement from refereeing.

The 43-year-old has been blowing his whistle and showing three yellow cards to players for a quarter of a century.

He's finally hung up his cards to take up a role as ... *deep breath* ... Technical Director of Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

*exhales*

It will be a huge blow for new United boss Louis van Gaal as he prepares for the new season.

:D

Guest The Magnificent 7

Peter Lawwell can GTF. 

Artmedia Bratislava was a kick in the balls, but this is worse because you know Deila will get the blame when all he's been given is a free transfer and a backup GK in preparation for the CL qualifiers.  Fuck off Lawwell.  This is squarely on you and the board.

Pete, how do you feel about Lampard on loan to Man City?

Honestly, I'm not expecting him to get a whole lot of playing time... they are stacked at central midfield with Yaya, Fernandinho, Fernando, Javi etc. He's a warm body more than anything else.

At Yankees game tonight. Everyone around me noted the soccer lines, noted that Liverpool had played here, but had no idea who their opponent was.

Rumblings are that City want to sign Falcao on a loan deal (to get around FFP), at which point they'll sell Jovetic to Juventus. Intriguing.

The Guardian has a blurb on Liverpool inquiring into Falcao only to be told he's off to Madrid. I don't see why Monaco would loan him out, just like Madrid won't loan out Di Maria to PSG either. The FFP restrictions haven't done much (Mangala and Luiz) but I would at least hope they'd stop those teams from multiple mega-stupid purchases. Jovetic will be awesome if he actually gets a run of games and remains healthy doing so. He was absolutely brilliant for the Viola and his ability to drift off the front line and feed teammates is essential in a modern striker.

So, if Liverpool have 50m to drop on Falcao, I wonder who the fallback option is. Reus is ideal but ain't going to happen. Lacazette is nice and all but I'm not sure he's what we need at the moment. It's atypical for Liverpool to be purchasing pre-established stars, but I think we need somebody that's proven to bang in goals and link up play right now if we're to match last season's league performance and fare okay in the CL. Sure, not bleeding goals as often as last season is part of the answer, but a somewhat frail Daniel Sturridge and old man Lambert ain't going to cut it. Not sure a 28-year-old coming off major knee surgery is the way to go either, so I'm not too disappointed about Falcao.

Seeing Donovan's quotes, it's quite obvious that he's just burned out... sounds like he no longer had the fire to play at the top of his form (he used the phrasing "obligated to keep playing", and it sounds like that's why Klinsmann didn't pick him for the WC.

Now that he had decided to retire, he's relaxed and playing better.

So the guy was suspended, but neither his team nor UEFA noticed it until he made the lineup and played? Idiots, the lot of them. Imagine getting tossed out of the Champions League because a guy played two minutes in a tie you won 6-1. How stupid would that make you feel?

So the guy was suspended, but neither his team nor UEFA noticed it until he made the lineup and played? Idiots, the lot of them. Imagine getting tossed out of the Champions League because a guy played two minutes in a tie you won 6-1. How stupid would that make you feel?

How stupid does the team that lost 6-1 feel playing in the next round?