DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

So now people think Mr. Perfect can't work? Internet wrestling discussion is scraping the bottom of the barrel. We need a new boom period and fast..

I don't think anyone said he can't work. Hell, I think he was amazing but, yes, some of his flippy bumps were sorta cartoony and silly looking.

So now people think Mr. Perfect can't work? Internet wrestling discussion is scraping the bottom of the barrel. We need a new boom period and fast..

I don't think anyone said he can't work. Hell, I think he was amazing but, yes, some of his flippy bumps we sorta cartoony and silly looking.

To be fair, he was also wrestling in a silly and cartoony era. It fit with everything else that was going on.

2a8q3oh.gif

Rude had great hilarious sells, this is a variation on a spot I'm used to see that that's new.  The old one is the chin lock where the face is starting to power up so you do the crotch drop on their back a few times and then they flip over and put up their knees and the heel lands nads first on the knees.  Rude also sold a great atomic drop.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that Hennig couldn't work. I would, however, say that he was much, much better pre-88 than during 88-91. I'd also say he was better in 1993 than in 1988-91. The Mr. Perfect run that most people remember fondly isn't nearly as strong as what people remember it to be. The matches just aren't there, though there are a couple I really love like the December MSG match vs Piper. Hm, what else. I'd say that you can't unsee AWA Hennig, and it's obvious how neutered he was in WWF. In fact, I might say that he was more neutered than any wrestler I can think of upon jumping to WWF. I would say that John Nord had a better Summer 91 - Summer 92 than Hennig had a Summer 90 - Summer 91. 

Rude had great hilarious sells, this is a variation on a spot I'm used to see that that's new.  The old one is the chin lock where the face is starting to power up so you do the crotch drop on their back a few times and then they flip over and put up their knees and the heel lands nads first on the knees.  Rude also sold a great atomic drop.

God, nobody sold an atomic drop like Ravishing Rick Rude.  i used to tell people at the DOA school to watch him just for that.  And for a million other reasons, because Rick Rude was fucking awesome.

Yes, and it was the crappest bladejob ever by Rocky. like a tiny little baby trickle. a minus number on the muta scale if you will.

I always had a pet theory about this - Rock had such an oddly smooth forehead (and used so much oil) that the blood would just sort of bead off him, like he was covered with Rain-X or something.  

I thought it was really interesting on Austin's podcast when Morton said that the way to sell as a babyface wasn't to do some incredible flip bump but instead to just keel over as realistically as possible. Obviously it's different as a heel, but it's easy to think that a guy like Ziggler or mid-career Hennig would be natural faces due to their bumptaking and maybe there's a disconnect there.

I think Morton has a point there. Keeling over realistically sells a heel as more brutal and calculating which works well for a face while taking a ridiculous flip bump off of a punch or chop sells a face as being super strong (like in the Hennig gif) which works well for a heel. Basically more subtle selling works better for a face whereas over the top flips and flops work better for a heel.

Does anyone have the animated gif of Del Rio's first match (I think, maybe his second) in WWE, when he did the wink to his opponent on the apron before shoving them off? 

I thought it was really interesting on Austin's podcast when Morton said that the way to sell as a babyface wasn't to do some incredible flip bump but instead to just keel over as realistically as possible. Obviously it's different as a heel, but it's easy to think that a guy like Ziggler or mid-career Hennig would be natural faces due to their bumptaking and maybe there's a disconnect there.

I think Morton has a point there. Keeling over realistically sells a heel as more brutal and calculating which works well for a face while taking a ridiculous flip bump off of a punch or chop sells a face as being super strong (like in the Hennig gif) which works well for a heel. Basically more subtle selling works better for a face whereas over the top flips and flops work better for a heel.

I really want to go back and watch some Rockers matches now because off the top of my head, I don't entirely remember how Michaels sold as a FIP, but if I had to guess, it'd be over the top.