DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Since WWE made big deals about signing KENTA and Devitt does that mean their gonna let them go by their names in WWE or are they still gonna give them dumb WWE-ized names? I know they like to own guys names for marketing reasons but when you're really the only game in town does it really matter if you don't own all the wrestlers names? Like someone said what's the point of changing Monty Brown's name to Marcus Cor Von other than to own Marcus Cor Von but still talk about what he really did in the NFL?

I would guess Triple H wants them to keep their names and Vincr wants to change them.

Since his character will probably be some sort of Irish stereotype, they could do worse than just letting him work as "Fergal Devitt."  Though I suppose they wouldn't do that since you can't copyright real names. He worked under "Fergal" in the California indys before he went to Japan.  Always thought that was a better name to go by.  Never cared for "Prince".

ATNEK the Asian Assassin sounds about right;

I'm skeptical they'll know what to do with a Japanese wrestler who can't be pushed as a "feared foreign monster" type.

Since WWE made big deals about signing KENTA and Devitt does that mean their gonna let them go by their names in WWE or are they still gonna give them dumb WWE-ized names?

Define "made big deals" about their signings? There were articles on WWE.com which I'm sure hundreds of people have read, but they haven't said a thing on TV about it.

I'm skeptical they'll know what to do with a Japanese wrestler who can't be pushed as a "feared foreign monster" type.

They did a good job with Yoshi Tatsu for about 5 minutes....

Tajiri had more good than bad during his run.

Since his character will probably be some sort of Irish stereotype, they could do worse than just letting him work as "Fergal Devitt."  Though I suppose they wouldn't do that since you can't copyright real names. He worked under "Fergal" in the California indys before he went to Japan.  Always thought that was a better name to go by.  Never cared for "Prince".

I figured they changed it from Fergal to Prince simply because Fergal was too hard to say with a Japanese accent.

In response to an earlier comment...why does Triple H get a pass for some of his shitty decisions while Vince takes the heat? Signing these guys to the WWE doesn't seem that difficult (look on Internet, see that Kenta and Steen have popularity, offer them more money to come to number one company). Getting them over, like he failed to do with pet projects like Brodus or Sin Cara, seems to be the issue and that's his fail.

Brodus debuted as a mid-card fun babyface and got over, not every guy who shows up is supposed to be groomed for the main event. The original Sin Cara didn't work out for a great number of reasons, just about all of which can be solely blamed on Sin Cara. He was a disaster from his debut on TV and steadily got worse.

Brodus debuted as a mid-card fun babyface and got over, not every guy who shows up is supposed to be groomed for the main event. The original Sin Cara didn't work out for a great number of reasons, just about all of which can be solely blamed on Sin Cara. He was a disaster from his debut on TV and steadily got worse.

Actually, Brodus was repackaged as a dancing fool by Hunter, as well as the blue lighting and horrendous trampoline into the ring for Sin Cara. He pushed them, they were his guys, they failed. Ok, someone who actually knows the history and facts, why have the new fans sided with Hunter and dismiss Vince (with his years of success) as the crazy old codger? It seems curious to me as I don't see it. The NXT guys who have gotten over had success in the indies...where are the stars developed there? Adam Rose?

They should give Devitt a Fergie gimmick. I bet Vince just learned about the Black Eyed Peas a month or two ago. "So I hear you like to play dress up."

Would coming out with a wet crotch be PG?

Of course, Vince did it first anyway.

Actually, Brodus was repackaged as a dancing fool by Hunter, as well as the blue lighting and horrendous trampoline into the ring for Sin Cara. He pushed them, they were his guys, they failed. Ok, someone who actually knows the history and facts, why have the new fans sided with Hunter and dismiss Vince (with his years of success) as the crazy old codger? It seems curious to me as I don't see it. The NXT guys who have gotten over had success in the indies...where are the stars developed there? Adam Rose?

Given the rather notable lack of actual talent Brodus had, the Funkasaurus character had a pretty decent run for awhile, certainly better than if he'd just gone out as fat guy monster heel #48. I'm not sure he can be called a failure on HHH's part.

And, since it passed you by the first time, 99% of what was wrong with Sin Cara was not the gimmick.

There's plenty of shit Hunter gets wrong, but Brodus and Sin Cara aren't them.

In response to an earlier comment...why does Triple H get a pass for some of his shitty decisions while Vince takes the heat? Signing these guys to the WWE doesn't seem that difficult (look on Internet, see that Kenta and Steen have popularity, offer them more money to come to number one company). Getting them over, like he failed to do with pet projects like Brodus or Sin Cara, seems to be the issue and that's his fail.

A big instance for it is armchair booking, IMO: Most transactions in sports or stupid booking decisions get maligned with it, and there's usually that twinge of "I wouldn't have done that, so it must suck".

With Vince's shitty decisions, they're things only Vince or Dunn would have- so there's a scapegoat and knowing that "well, if I had Vince's power, I'd do something different and it'd be a new boom period."

HHH, though- when he's failing with people like Sin Cara, Tensai, or Kharma- on the one hand, they're failures- but fans who play EWR inherently kind of know if they had HHH's position, they'd have probably done the same thing and hired Mistico/Bernard/Kong just like HHH. 

Put it together, it's a lot easier to forgive knowing that on paper, HHH made the right decisions- they just didn't turn out right.

• Like 1

NXT is a lot easier to book than Raw though. You are, for the most part, just booking weekly TV shows or now I guess they are booking to the Live Specials but those only happen like 4-6 times a year. Not every 3-4 weeks.

And the audience is far easier to please.

• Like 1