DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Between the Dynamic Dudes and Dean Douglas, Troy Martin should avoid any alliterative jobs or job titles beginning with "D" in his future. If someone asks him to manage a Dunkin' Donuts, he should turn down the job offer and maybe also head for the hills or hide out in a bunker somewhere. 

• Like 1

This is a blog post written about the days of WCW Australia which ran from 1964 to 1978. Just reading this has me hoping that one day we will have access to these tapes some how.

http://www.heresyourproof.com.au/blog/74-where-anything-can-happen-and-probably-will

My favorite part -

Mexican grappler Pepper Gomez was billed as “the man with the cast-iron stomach.” In a televised match-up, Kowalski had been unable to apply a claw hold to Pepper’s abdomen, presumably because of its ferrous character. With a draw announced, Gomez challenged the Killer to jump onto his mid-section from the top turnbuckle. As Kowalski steadied his huge frame in the ring corner he flashed the studio audience an evil leer – before delivering a knee drop to the throat of the unsuspecting Gomez. Making his way to the locker room as his victim convulsed in the ring, Killer let forth a stream of invective, boasting that he had rendered another adversary speechless. 

Per Meltzer:

"Details are still sketchy regarding Thursday's firing of Al Rodriguez (Alberto Del Rio) by WWE.

The story going around is that he slapped a a Social Media manager, at this week's television, but there are a variety of different stories going around regarding what led to this.

Based on sketchy stories and what wrestlers have been talking about, at catering, somebody asked the person to clean off his plate.  The person joked something along the lines of how that's Del Rio's job.  Del Rio found out and confronted him.  As the story goes, he  didn't apologize and then smiled at him, and Del Rio slapped him."

Nice.  Guy made a fat joke and thought he was a tough guy.  Alberto slapped the shit out of him.  That is great.  These fucking backstage nerds need to learn their place and realize that with out guys like ADR they wouldn't be working.  ADR has a rep as being one of the tough guys backstage, why would you fuck with him??  

• Like 2

Per Meltzer:

"Details are still sketchy regarding Thursday's firing of Al Rodriguez (Alberto Del Rio) by WWE.

The story going around is that he slapped a a Social Media manager, at this week's television, but there are a variety of different stories going around regarding what led to this.

Based on sketchy stories and what wrestlers have been talking about, at catering, somebody asked the person to clean off his plate.  The person joked something along the lines of how that's Del Rio's job.  Del Rio found out and confronted him.  As the story goes, he  didn't apologize and then smiled at him, and Del Rio slapped him."

01.jpg

He should've seen it coming.

I'm amused that Del Rio was fired for "unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee." Isn't that his job?

• Like 1

Nice.  Guy made a fat joke and thought he was a tough guy.  Alberto slapped the shit out of him.  That is great.  These fucking backstage nerds need to learn their place and realize that with out guys like ADR they wouldn't be working.  ADR has a rep as being one of the tough guys backstage, why would you fuck with him??  

Actually, I'd say that was less a fat joke and more of a Mexican joke which tells me that smarmy little prick is lucky ADR didn't pop his head off like a bottle top. If this is true and can be proven, the WWE may have a bit of a problem on it's hands.

• Like 6

Actually, I'd say that was less a fat joke and more of a Mexican joke which tells me that smarmy little prick is lucky ADR didn't pop his head off like a bottle top. If this is true and can be proven, the WWE may have a bit of a problem on it's hands.

I didn;t even think about that.  I hope ADR got a good shit in.  

• Like 1

It's definitely not hard to see how it could be taken racially, although, clearly, none of us know for sure how the guy meant it. 

At any rate, I'd guess there is a very good chance that Del Rio took it that way, which would explain him being pissed off.  On the other hand, you can't go around slapping the shit out of people who say stupid things in the real world.

Reading that sounds really racist. It felt like ADR was on the way out anyway, I'm sure he's made more than enough "Fuck You" money, so why not put some little punk bitch in their place and get out early? I wish I could do that.

Now I don't know which bully is the bully and which victim is the victim.  We've got a downtrodden minority who's also a wealthy badass.  We've got a fat defenseless nerd who's also a fucking race-baiting troll.   And somewhere in all of this we've got a snitch running back and forth just trying to get someone beaten up or fired.

Dammit.  Be a star isn't supposed to be this complicated.

The only real takeaway is that they need some of the parents to volunteer to be cafeteria monitors.

• Like 3

In corporate America (which WWE is now very much apart of now), you report that shit to HR or his immediate supervisor. 

Turns out Del Rio has "HR" tattooed on one fist and (in really tiny letters) "Your immediate supervisor" tattooed on the other.

• Like 12

Reading that sounds really racist. It felt like ADR was on the way out anyway, I'm sure he's made more than enough "Fuck You" money, so why not put some little punk bitch in their place and get out early? I wish I could do that.

Yeah, and I'm sure that even if he doesn't want to go back to Mexico, someone who can work, was on WWE TV for years and has the ability to work a puro-friendly style could be in NJPW within seconds of his non compete ending. So don't cry for ADR.

THAT SAID, if homeboy really made a Mexicans do domestic work joke and didn't apologize, he got off light and as a man I can't really knock Del Rio for his actions.

Yeah, and I'm sure that even if he doesn't want to go back to Mexico, someone who can work, was on WWE TV for years and has the ability to work a puro-friendly style could be in NJPW within seconds of his non compete ending. So don't cry for ADR.

THAT SAID, if homeboy really made a Mexicans do domestic work joke and didn't apologize, he got off light and as a man I can't really knock Del Rio for his actions.

Actually if that was the case, couldn't we potentially end up with a Bill Watts-ian lawsuit?

Actually if that was the case, couldn't we potentially end up with a Bill Watts-ian lawsuit?

We don't know the fate of the other employee, it's possible that he got fired too. 

This is how I picture it going down (replace "is it fake" with "clean my plate")

(And Dr. D was fired for that too)

Not to ruin the joke or anything but I think he was actually fired for picking a fight with Mr. T.  But yeah, Shults is a racist motherfucker.

This is how I picture it going down (replace "is it fake" with "clean my plate")

(And Dr. D was fired for that too)

Not to ruin the joke or anything but I think he was actually fired for picking a fight with Mr. T.  But yeah, Shults is a racist motherfucker.

I've heard conflicting stories, I just went with that one for the sake of the joke.

The story doesn't sit right with me. I 100% believe that someone made a racist joke, because people are horrible (and make no mistake, that was totally a racist joke). That being said, I don't believe that someone who made such a terrible joke wouldn't immediately crap his pants when actually confronted by Del Rio. He just stood there smiling? Shit like that doesn't happen outside of a wrestling ring. It's like he was waiting his turn to cut a promo getting his heat back. 

• Like 1