DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

FSW Nouveau, Were you even watching back when Punk had the WWE title for over a year and was the main event in MAYBE half the PPVs he was in, while Cena main-evented in throwaway matches like Big Show and Johnny Ace?

I know you said you got less invested in their booking over time, but Jesus Christ, you sound like you just started watching for the first time in a decade.

Why do I care who closes the PPV? Punk had plenty of TV time, a lengthy title reign with strong booking, and fought guys the IWC would largely say were dream opponents. He also got to be the only man not named Cena to go one-on-one with the Great One. For a glass-half-full guy like me, it was a dream run.

Nobody thinks Jericho-Trips was the main event of WM18 because it closed the show. Nobody thinks Edge-Taker was the drawing attraction of WM24 because it was the last match. But Cena headlining over Punk a few times while embroiled in major angles (yes, Johnny Ace getting his comeuppance was a major angle) is somehow a crime against humanity. 

I've never understood why people get so up in arms about how many times Punk got to close out a PPV. It's a non-issue to me. 

Even before Bryan was hurt, his first title feud was against god damned Kane. 

Yeah. Cena's never had to polish a turd before. It's all top shelf for the Champ. Poor Bryan. 

How in gods name did they take the great reviews in Summerslam, in part because Lesnar destroyed the man everyone is sick of, and take it as a sign to go CENA CENA HE'S OUR MAN, IF HE CAN'T DO IT, HE'LL DO IT ANYWAY!

Cena's still bankable. Heating him up again to take another loss to Lesnar isn't the worst idea in the world. The story could be told in another way, but this is far from apocalyptic. 

I don't think anyone has an issue with the rematch happening.  It'll be a great match, obvi, but the issue is the bigger one that the safe money is on Cena going over.

Is that safe money? It's the usual Cena issues versus the prevailing wisdom that they want to ride Lesnar as champ till Mania. I think it's something that could go either way.

Man there are a lot of miserable wrasslin' fans. 

If you are depressed, sad or want to industry to go under because of John fucking Cena, I suggest turning off the wrasslin' and maybe watching some monster trucks or some shit like that. 

Monster trucks would be just as miserable. How do you avoid burials with a brand like Grave Digger?!

• Like 1

JohnnyJ pointing out that WWE is/traditionally was a face territory is a great point that I didn't think about. 

Still, there must be a way to keep heels strong even if you have just fed them to a top face that doesn't include trading wins with another secondary face. If you're going to have Bray Wyatt get blitzed by John Cena, you need him to steamroll Jericho to get his heat back, not trade wins and losses.

If you are depressed, sad or want to industry to go under because of John fucking Cena, I suggest turning off the wrasslin' and maybe watching some monster trucks or some shit like that.

No monster trucks on TV. Also, it's Vince fucking McMahon that has me depressed, not Cena.

I'm fine with subscribing to the network and watching the archives. I can complain about the current stuff all I want. I'm spending the money, I want to examine what WWE is doing wrong... which is obviously SOMETHING because their subs numbers are atrocious.

Will I enjoy Lesnar/Cena again no matter the outcome? Sure.. I probably will. Do I think it's the best option? No. Do I think a different opponent would be better? Absolutely.