DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Swagger has a great look and he's pretty average all around. His problem is it seems like he's lost almost every single match/feud for years now.

When you book someone like that for such a prolonged period it's hard to come back from.

Swagger has a great look and he's pretty average all around. His problem is it seems like he's lost almost every single match/feud for years now.

When you book someone like that for such a prolonged period it's hard to come back from.

And now he's beating Cesaro...

If they hadn't have screwed up everything, the answer to Lesnar's next opponent could've been Jack Swagger. He is one of the few people on the roster who has the size and legitimacy to look like a threat to Lesnar.

If WHO hadn't screwed up everything? Swagger wasn't that good. He was especially bad as world champ.

Hey, don't blame The Anvil. He had nothing to do with this.

• Like 1

People hate on the WWE just to hate on it. I posted before the Lorne/Vince comparison. The other great point between the WWE and SNL is that every hardcore fan thinks stuffing instead of potatoes is nowhere near as good as it used to be and/or they could do it totally better.

This is so dismissive, and it flies in the face of what is demonstrably true: All those guys Niners mentioned have absolutely cooled off. You can defend Bray's booking all you want, but in January, he, Harper, and Rowan were incredibly hot, and in August, Bray was struggling to draw heat while trying to get a win back against Chris Jericho. The Rhodes Brothers have massively cooled off. Cesaro looked like the next big face in March, and now he's trading wins with Jack Swagger and RVD. 

The only reason we got the WM that we got in the first place is that the fans essentially hijacked every show on the road to WM until the company was forced to do what the fans wanted, so I guess the fans actually did know better than the company. 

• Like 3

I've rarely been drawn into a Jack Swagger match or feud because he's transparent as hell, he's fake fighting. 

I've been trying to figure out a way to describe this for years, but this nails it.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy who looks like he believes less in what he's saying/doing than Swagger.  And this is different from not giving a shit.  He tries...he always seems to be trying...but he seems very aware that he's acting and pretending to fight which makes us, the audience, very aware that he's acting and pretending to fight.  Thought his Raw interview that they showed on Smackdown might have been the best thing he's done since the Swagger Soaring Eagle stuff.  THAT whole schtick: goofball champ sneaking out victories while being goofy worked because we didn't have to take him seriously.

If they hadn't have screwed up everything, the answer to Lesnar's next opponent could've been Jack Swagger. He is one of the few people on the roster who has the size and legitimacy to look like a threat to Lesnar.

If WHO hadn't screwed up everything? Swagger wasn't that good. He was especially bad as world champ.

Hey, don't blame The Anvil. He had nothing to do with this.

And some people whine about the air bill or titty master jokes as overused.

• Like 3

I've rarely been drawn into a Jack Swagger match or feud because he's transparent as hell, he's fake fighting. 

I've been trying to figure out a way to describe this for years, but this nails it.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy who looks like he believes less in what he's saying/doing than Swagger.  And this is different from not giving a shit.  He tries...he always seems to be trying...but he seems very aware that he's acting and pretending to fight which makes us, the audience, very aware that he's acting and pretending to fight.  Thought his Raw interview that they showed on Smackdown might have been the best thing he's done since the Swagger Soaring Eagle stuff.  THAT whole schtick: goofball champ sneaking out victories while being goofy worked because we didn't have to take him seriously.

Transparency and either an unwillingness or inability to lose oneself in the part is pretty widespread at this point. Even announcers are guilty of this with Michael Cole always coming off as a fake ass buster when compared to any of the greats, but in particular Jim "THE LOADED GUCCI BAG!" Ross. That new jabroni that stinks up NXT and is now being eased into Smackdown, Tom Phillips, is even worse and he's so forced. He also spouts off the dumbest shit all too often and JBL called him on it more than a few times on this week's episode.

I suppose this is one of, if not the biggest pet peeve of mine in regards to rasslin. My favourites are Hansen, Vader, Kawada, and Hokuto - people who went all out on a mother fucker.

Can't speak for others, but my refusal to jump on board with the Network was due to an active dislike of WWE's current output and the complete aversion to giving Vince and Co. a dime. One of my best friends even have me his password to his account and I never used it, mainly because "fuck Vince." He has even said that he never really keeps up with the main roster other than PPVs (he claims again and again that $10 for NXT is worth it, though to me that's like a college football fan who doesn't bother keeping up with the NFL, which is really weird to me), but like I said, I don't want to give the WWE ten CENTS, and I concluded that I would rather give up being a wrestling fan than come to terms with the fact that the whole business is Vince's yard (at least in the English-speaking world).

Then one day, I made a bet with my friend over the outcome of Cena/Lesnar...

Can't speak for others, but my refusal to jump on board with the Network was due to an active dislike of WWE's current output and the complete aversion to giving Vince and Co. a dime. One of my best friends even have me his password to his account and I never used it, mainly because "fuck Vince." He has even said that he never really keeps up with the main roster other than PPVs (he claims again and again that $10 for NXT is worth it, though to me that's like a college football fan who doesn't bother keeping up with the NFL, which is really weird to me), but like I said, I don't want to give the WWE ten CENTS, and I concluded that I would rather give up being a wrestling fan than come to terms with the fact that the whole business is Vince's yard (at least on this side of the Pacific and north of Mexico).

Then one day, I made a bet with him over the outcome of Cena/Lesnar...

I fit both of the comparisons in this post.  Summerslam is the first WWE show I've watched 100% of since probably Rumble 2013.

Swagger is great in ring... he has a thmall problem that keepth him from being a thuperthar.

So did Dusty Rhodes. Poor post.

It was part if the gimmick for Dusty, though. Get over in polka dots? No problem, dude got over a speech impediment.

Swagger spitting all over the place when he talks really is a problem for the guy. He's one juvenile Cena promo away from a "say it don't spray it" chant.

All that said, I'll admit I find it kind of sad when Cody's lisp occasionally slips through and he doesn't run with it.

Re: Network:  I'm guessing "I just don't want to" wouldn't be acceptable.

Got all sorts of financial hang-ups and I'm honestly paranoid about adding any more consistent expenses to my situation(even if it is just you-know-how-much per month).  I have a lot of credit card debt and a hospital balance that just went to a collection agency.

Most of the PPV content is redone on free TV so there's no great desire to see the PPVs.  The only ones I watched this year were the Rumble and Mania and I went to friends' houses for those.

I'll probably cave eventually and the main things I'd want to watch would be old WCW/NWA PPVs and Clashes.  Only current content of note to me would be NXT.

The only reason we got the WM that we got in the first place is that the fans essentially hijacked every show on the road to WM until the company was forced to do what the fans wanted, so I guess the fans actually did know better than the company. 

Except for Bryan breaking his neck a month in and throwing the booking into a tail spin it still has not recovered from. 

People hate on the WWE just to hate on it. I posted before the Lorne/Vince comparison. The other great point between the WWE and SNL is that every hardcore fan thinks stuffing instead of potatoes is nowhere near as good as it used to be and/or they could do it totally better.

This is so dismissive, and it flies in the face of what is demonstrably true: All those guys Niners mentioned have absolutely cooled off. You can defend Bray's booking all you want, but in January, he, Harper, and Rowan were incredibly hot, and in August, Bray was struggling to draw heat while trying to get a win back against Chris Jericho. The Rhodes Brothers have massively cooled off. Cesaro looked like the next big face in March, and now he's trading wins with Jack Swagger and RVD. 

Self-congratulatory much? Anyone that thinks they're more responsible for the success of WM than the creative team is, for lack of a better term, a mark.

While there is room for improvement and always will be, this "the product is in the toilet just because Bryan is injured and Punk is gone and the sky is falling" stuff is completely out of control.

• Like 3

Meh...They could  build Swagger up in three months and make him a threat if done correctly. I'm sure he's jaded and doesn't give as much of a fuck as he could, after putting him in silly scenario after silly scenario.  If Brock started to treat every performer like he did during that Summerslam match, who else on the roster is gonna hold their own? And as for talking, Brock is no daisy on the mike either, that's part of the reason Heyman is with him.  Zeb does the heavy lifting on the promos anyway.  The guy just needs to be motivated. 

Funny how quick you guys are to shit on Swagger and he has more tools going for him than Reigns by a country mile. 

• Like 1