DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't get the people who get it for current PPVs. Who gives a shit about that when you have every SNME, Clash and PPV ever along with a buncha TV and house shows.

as a person who subscribes to the network for current PPVs, it's because it's a pretty reliable way to hang out with my best friend since his time's gotten throttled (kids, night school, job). Guaranteed hangout with something we're both into once a month for $10 seems p. dang good. I don't really know what you're doing if you're watching those shows alone.

Yea I mostly got it for the current product.  I already have or have seen all the older stuff that I wanted to re-watch so the current product was the hook.  Don't get me wrong, if I had a slow Tuesday night it was fun to turn on the Network and watch a 1995 WCW PPV, but that is more of the additional perk, I have Netflix and video games and other things I can watch.  But getting the current PPVs for such a low price was worth it, as long as the new stuff stays interesting.

I don't get the people who get it for current PPVs. Who gives a shit about that when you have every SNME, Clash and PPV ever along with a buncha TV and house shows.

as a person who subscribes to the network for current PPVs, it's because it's a pretty reliable way to hang out with my best friend since his time's gotten throttled (kids, night school, job). Guaranteed hangout with something we're both into once a month for $10 seems p. dang good. I don't really know what you're doing if you're watching those shows alone.

Is this place so cynical that you have to be ashamed to pay $10 a month to get stuff like Cena-Lesnar and Rollins-Ambrose and the MITB ladder match and the Evolution-Shield matches and Bryan-HHH and Lesnar conquering the streak and Bryan winning the WWE title with 60,000 people going nuts?

The year started out with fresh feuds and matches but aside from Rollins/Ambrose WWE has elected to go back to the old guard. I can see why that would turn people off from subscribing or continuing to subscribe. 

The archives is the hook for me and apparently Vic, but it's not the hook for everyone. If the current stuff is going to be stale, the subs are going to decrease.

• Like 1

The price isn't why the Network is faltering.  WWE constantly pushing the price above the content comes off so obnoxious and disrespectful to their audience.  They simply overestimated/overhyped the amount of people that want to watch more wrestling than what's already available to them every week on television and screaming '$9.99' over and over again isn't going to fix that.  They need to sell people on the content and not just reiterating that they're getting every PPV for the year because that's still just pushing cost.

Plus, six months later and there's still a lot of complaints regarding the stream quality during live events.  Also, the novelty of having a library of content probably wore off pretty quickly for a lot because normal people got other shit to do than sitting around watching old wrestling all day.

• Like 4

Lesnar is the champand crushed Cena.

Reigns beat Orton.

Bray beat Jericho.

Rusev beat Swagger.

Usos are tag champs.

The old guard hardly is on top right now.

Bray has been neutered. Rusev is getting setup to be knocked down. Usos are champs of a division where most teams have split up. Orton and Kane are still all over the place. Big Show is out here squashing the Wyatts. Cena is still main eventing every show and is about to get his win back.... Cesaro is nowhere to be found, just lost to RVD of all people on the preshow..

I get it mostly for the current stuff, like PPVs. Maybe sometimes I'll watch NXT, but I've got tons of shit going on every day and don't have time for it. That's the other thing: Time. It's one reason why I suspended my Directv account because I just don't watch that much TV. Same goes for wrestling.

The price isn't why the Network is faltering.  WWE constantly pushing the price above the content comes off so obnoxious and disrespectful to their audience.  They simply overestimated/overhyped the amount of people that want to watch more wrestling than what's already available to them every week on television and screaming '$9.99' over and over again isn't going to fix that.  They need to sell people on the content and not just reiterating that they're getting every PPV for the year because that's still just pushing cost.

Plus, six months later and there's still a lot of complaints regarding the stream quality during live events.  Also, the novelty of having a library of content probably wore off pretty quickly for a lot because normal people got other shit to do than sitting around watching old wrestling all day.

Ugh terrible.....

Lesnar is the champand crushed Cena.

Reigns beat Orton.

Bray beat Jericho.

Rusev beat Swagger.

Usos are tag champs.

The old guard hardly is on top right now.

Bray has been neutered. Rusev is getting setup to be knocked down. Usos are champs of a division where most teams have split up. Orton and Kane are still all over the place. Big Show is out here squashing the Wyatts. Cena is still main eventing every show and is about to get his win back.... Cesaro is nowhere to be found, just lost to RVD of all people on the preshow..

A heel being built up so that he can lose and it'll matter in the future? Holy shit, this is unprecedented stuff!

• Like 1

A heel being built up so that he can lose and it'll matter in the future? Holy shit, this is unprecedented stuff!

Yeah, a lot of this seems like looking for stuff to complain about. Big Show, for example, has barely even been on TV this year.

What you guys are forgetting is that this is WWE which means once Rusev loses to Cena or Reigns he will wind up in the midcard with nothing to do and then they will repackage him as a comedy character. Look what they did with Tensai. Look what they did with Henry for years.

• Like 1

If they hadn't have screwed up everything, the answer to Lesnar's next opponent could've been Jack Swagger.  He is one of the few people on the roster who has the size and legitimacy to look like a threat to Lesnar.

Gregg left out the part where Ambrose/Rollins main evented Raw with a 20 minute match just a week ago.

I don't know how many people here watched Main Event but Cesaro and Sheamus are feuding again and that's always good news.

Rhodes Bros are challenging the Usos.

When did Big Show squash the Wyatts?

I mean there's been plenty to dislike about WWE throughout the summer but they're running mostly good angles now.

Funny, I seem to recall Umaga still being a badass despite losing to Cena.

So one guy out of dozens erases their pattern? You can't tell me you have faith in this current creative team after what we've seen since April.. SummerSlam was a nice show. It's been five months since WM and guys like Cesaro are doing nothing. The Rhodes Brothers have cooled off. The Wyatts have cooled off. Come on.

Is the creative team different from what they gave us from the Royale Rumble (at least) to WrestleMania? Because, if so, I've got a lot of faith in them.

SummerSlam was a REALLY good show. It doesn't compare to WrestleMania but very few shows in WWE history do. But they built to a lot of really good stuff -- Cena/Brock was well done (due to Heyman's awesomeness), Reigns/Orton had a lot of good and traditional build, Ambrose/Rollins was awesome, Rusev/Swagger was really good and had a great pay-off. The only disappointing thing, for me, was Bray not doing insane stuff with children's choirs and the like. But they did try and go a really unique root with the Jericho/Bray interview each other bit.

People hate on the WWE just to hate on it. I posted before the Lorne/Vince comparison. The other great point between the WWE and SNL is that every hardcore fan thinks the product is nowhere near as good as it used to be and/or they could do it totally better.

• Like 5

Why would I hate on WWE just to hate on it? If I hated WWE I wouldn't be paying them $9.99 a month. I'm not thrilled with the current pro duck and that's all there is to it. I think they should be going full on youth movement as they were much of last year and leading up to WrestleMania. This ties into the subscriptions discussion. I think Cena getting his win back would be a terrible idea right now. I don't see it helping their #'s at all.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people think Swagger's run right now would make him a sustainable main eventer. The only reason he's managed to get over as a babyface to the extent he has is because of Zeb and Lana. They did all the heavy lifting for that feud. Yes, Swagger has been good in the ring since his turn, I really liked his match with Rollins last week, but I don't see him losing to Rusev as a missed opportunity. To put him up against Brock it would take a drastic character shift for him and if you're going to go to that length him losing to Rusev doesn't matter. If Swagger had won that feud we'd hear a different type of complaint, just like we're hearing about Miz losing his belt, "they cut his legs off and God forbid a heel get momentum."

I like Swagger, I loved the Rusev feud, and think he was great but I just don't see him as any type of potential feud for Brock regardless of how the Rusev feud went. This is Swagger's whole issue; he has the look, the size, the ability, and the pedigree as a legitimate athlete but there is something missing. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's because he looks like he's going through a checklist in his head for everything he does but whatever it is isn't something that can be fixed with better booking.

If they hadn't have screwed up everything, the answer to Lesnar's next opponent could've been Jack Swagger.  He is one of the few people on the roster who has the size and legitimacy to look like a threat to Lesnar.

If WHO hadn't screwed up everything? Swagger wasn't that good. He was especially bad as world champ.

I don't understand why people think Swagger's run right now would make him a sustainable main eventer. The only reason he's managed to get over as a babyface to the extent he has is because of Zeb and Lana. They did all the heavy lifting for that feud. Yes, Swagger has been good in the ring since his turn, I really liked his match with Rollins last week, but I don't see him losing to Rusev as a missed opportunity. To put him up against Brock it would take a drastic character shift for him and if you're going to go to that length him losing to Rusev doesn't matter. If Swagger had won that feud we'd hear a different type of complaint, just like we're hearing about Miz losing his belt, "they cut his legs off and God forbid a heel get momentum."

I like Swagger, I loved the Rusev feud, and think he was great but I just don't see him as any type of potential feud for Brock regardless of how the Rusev feud went. This is Swagger's whole issue; he has the look, the size, the ability, and the pedigree as a legitimate athlete but there is something missing. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's because he looks like he's going through a checklist in his head for everything he does but whatever it is isn't something that can be fixed with better booking.

Swagger's got a pretty poor grasp of psychology (frequently missing easy heel moments with Zeb distracting the ref back when he was with Cesaro - I bet Dutch died inside a little bit each time) and he has zero presence for a guy that big and that intimidating looking. Part of it is his punch is the drizzling shits and he's a charisma vacuum, but there's more to it. He doesn't exude confidence in himself, so why should the fans care about him? I've rarely been drawn into a Jack Swagger match or feud because he's transparent as hell, he's fake fighting. He should be way more aggressive, leaning on guys and laying in strikes. Just because you aren't charismatic doesn't mean you can't have a bad ass presence in the ring. When you look at his eyes, you rarely see a passion or intensity but you can see the wheels turning as he figures out what he should be doing next in the fake fight.

Swagger has all of the tools but can't put it together. He's 32 and got all of the time in the world but if he hasn't done it yet, can he ever do it?

• Like 3