DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Ok, Flair's involved again...assuming Ziggler is the Flair (at his core a bump machine and dq waiting to happen), who are Tully, Arn and Windham/Ole? The Horsemen redux would be interesting if they didn't hotshot it. Much better than this Nexus crap you've been debating.

This isn't about tonight's Raw specifically, but just in general, what exactly is the difference between a no-DQ match and a no-holds-barred match?

Well theoretically, I would think a No DQ match would obviously be you can't get disqualified by means that would ordinarily get you disqualified (contact with the ref, outside interference, weapon usage, etc.) while a No Holds Barred match would be the same except moves and holds that are normally off limits (ie. barred) are allowed.

But in WWE there really is no difference as they don't allow "banned" moves or holds no matter what the stipulation.

This isn't about tonight's Raw specifically, but just in general, what exactly is the difference between a no-DQ match and a no-holds-barred match?

I don't want to out your username, but did you just ask [redacted] the same question on Twitter like 20 minutes ago? Cause if not, what an incredible coincidence. Also, I liked that person's very characteristic answer hahah

I don't want to out your username, but did you just ask [redacted] the same question on Twitter like 20 minutes ago? Cause if not, what an incredible coincidence. Also, I liked that person's very characteristic answer hahah

Nope.  I barely use Twitter to begin with, and haven't at all in weeks.

The theoretical difference is that in a No Holds Barred match, you can't get disqualified for any illegal moves/holds/etc, but still could for weapons/outside interference/etc, whereas in a No DQ match, you can't be disqualified period.

In WWE universe, they are the exact same thing, so...  yeah.

this is completely random - i think it's really cool how out of all the shirts in that store in Japan, my dad got me the shirt of my favorite wrestler from Japan without even realizing it.

jun kasai 4 lyfe

The problem with the No Holds Barred stip is that WWE doesn't have any kayfabe banned moves, just shoot banned ones...

I need to see a "No Shoot Banned Holds Barred" match where dudes steal the rest of the card's finishers and exchange Tombstones for like 20 minutes while Locker Room Leader Undertaker looks on disapprovingly.

• Like 4

The whole "chokes are illegal" went out the door when Tazz came in, and Angle's appeal that the Tazzmission should be made illegal because its a choke was denied.  Add in the popularity of the UFC and pro-wrestling adopting the tap out replacing the "I give up" submission, and you get a mix of some chokes "Tazzmission, Rear Naked, Hell's Gate" are legal, which the straight ol' wrap your hands around the throat are not.

I still find it odd that the RNC is legal, but ref's check arm position on the Sleeper.

The whole "chokes are illegal" went out the door when Tazz came in, and Angle's appeal that the Tazzmission should be made illegal because its a choke was denied.  Add in the popularity of the UFC and pro-wrestling adopting the tap out replacing the "I give up" submission, and you get a mix of some chokes "Tazzmission, Rear Naked, Hell's Gate" are legal, which the straight ol' wrap your hands around the throat are not.

I still find it odd that the RNC is legal, but ref's check arm position on the Sleeper.

I think we're talking more about this sort of thing:

justin_roberts.gif

There's absolutely no difference between No Holds Barred and No Disqualification, though. The two terms are interchangeable in WWE history. At least it wasn't a dance off.

Though, Ambrose would be a huge natural at this:

jets_title_500.gif

• Like 1