DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I thought Hero looked fine in NXT. I didn't think his physique was worth firing him over at any rate.

I hope they give Steen a foul-mouthed Baby gimmick that cannon balls onto his victims in the corner. It'll get over too.

He

was

not

fired

for

his

weight

How many times does this need to be explained on here? He was in the best shape of his life when he was released.

"Kip" is archaic slang for sleeping, so it's literally "going from a sleeping position to an upright position."

The Chinese army was apparently well known for practicing the move as part of calisthenics, and Japan co-opted it after they invaded China in the early, early, early days of WWII (really the second Sino-Japanese war, but they ran together).  Allied forces saw their prisoners doing it during the war and conflated the old "kip-up" with "Nippon" (the Japanese word for their homeland)

Can anyone point me to a GOOD (non-comedy) Colt Cabana match?  I feel like I'm super down on the guy, and much like my attempts to watch Whedon stuff, I'd like to give him another chance.

• Like 3

Um, no

Because being jobbed out and made to look like a chump for six months is good for his career?

The booking really failed Orton at that period as the issue was almost entirely built around Bryan against The Authority with Orton himself having very little personal stake it the matter.  Which has really been the case for quite a while as everything Randy has done since winning the title the last time hasn't been about him.  Even the matches against the Rhodes Boys were predicated around what they were doing to get Triple H angry.  Orton had been pushed to the background heavily while still holding the World Title.  Now he seems to be on course to put first the Shield and now Roman Reigns individually over and, again, doesn't seem to have a personal stake in the matter.  

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week.

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

I invented the Jackhammer about 12 years before Goldberg was a thing. My pillow took that move more times than Jerry Flynn.

I thought Terry Gordy invented the Jackhammer.

Hindsight being what it is, The Shield should have stayed heel and had a focused series against John Cena where they threw themselves at him in turn in order to elevate themselves.  After the Evolution thing, they had no where to go but to split them up since The Wyatt Family got so devalued.  Throw in the Usos as John's back up and they would have at least a program that would have been worthy of the unit.    

• Like 1

Can anyone point me to a GOOD (non-comedy) Colt Cabana match?  I feel like I'm super down on the guy, and much like my attempts to watch Whedon stuff, I'd like to give him another chance.

Comedy is what he does. That's like asking for a Steve Austin match where he doesn't throw any punches.

But Colt Cabana vs. James Gibson from Gibson's ROH Championship run was pretty fucking awesome.

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week.

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.
I invented the Jackhammer about 12 years before Goldberg was a thing. My pillow took that move more times than Jerry Flynn.

I thought Terry Gordy invented the Jackhammer.

Just for the sake of keeping tradition alive; Nova invented Terry Gordy

• Like 1

I'd heard that Dean Malenko invented the jackhammer. Had a guy up for a suplex while training, the guy slipped so Malenko turned it into a powerslam on the way down so that the guy wouldn't fall straight on his head.

Having the Shield beat Evolution so decisively and so quickly was a really bad idea. After that they had no choice but to break them up.

They could've had them pursuing their own feuds while staying a group. Reigns can still go after Orton and HHH but he can also continue to have the 6 man Shield tags on TV which make him look good. Rollins winning the IC title and defending against Cesaro and Barrett would be a good direction for him. And you could put Ambrose in a blood feud with Bray Wyatt, which would definitely be better than what Bray's doing now. Then later you can have them go after Lesnar.

It just seems so easy to me to keep booking these guys as a group until at least next Mania season.

He

was

not

fired

for

his

weight

How many times does this need to be explained on here? He was in the best shape of his life when he was released.

It seems pretty clear that he wasn't, and this is actually the first time I've heard it suggested that he was fired for other reasons.

Hindsight being what it is, The Shield should have stayed heel and had a focused series against John Cena where they threw themselves at him in turn in order to elevate themselves.  After the Evolution thing, they had no where to go but to split them up since The Wyatt Family got so devalued.  Throw in the Usos as John's back up and they would have at least a program that would have been worthy of the unit.    

This is the exact booking that devalued the Wyatts.

So wait wait wait.  There are people that are saying the WWE was dumb to build around the hottest act they've had in literally years?  GTFO with that.

Vic's the only one saying that, and he's a notorious curmudgeon.

Orton basically sacrificed his career for Daniel Bryan. Before that feud he was always over. He was really selfless in putting Bryan over for six months. 

I think a lot of guys at Orton's level would have started vetoing putting him over. 

I think you are confusing cause and effect. The cause of Orton losing his shine was not Daniel Bryan. The cause was months of wishy washy booking which made both Orton and Bryan look weak and pathetic. Bryan was able to overcome it because the fans were so behind him.

Regardless, I love the idea of Randy Orton being presented as some kind of pro wrestling religious figure who sacrificed his overness to give birth to Bryan's overness.   

The entire point is entirely ridiculous anyways. Before he won the MITB briefcase and cashed it in against Bryan, Orton was meandering somewhere on the midcard for months. The main event scene on Smackdown was entirely dominated by Sheamus, Alberto del Rio and the Big Show at the time. The feud with Bryan was Orton's return to main event status after a very long absence.

So wait wait wait.  There are people that are saying the WWE was dumb to build around the hottest act they've had in literally years?  GTFO with that.

Yeah, its not like the WWE has ever booked around their hottest act before.

bruno-sammartino-wwe.png

Bob-Backlund.jpg

Hulk-Hogan.jpg

8236099_orig.jpg?203

The-Rock-dwayne-the-rock-johnson-3369457