DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Is it a case of pro-wrestling (well, WWE) fans being "cheap" or just the majority of people that the WWE Network would appeal to (I.E. people that already were stealing PPVs via illegal streams) just more tech-savvy than WWE anticipated?

You know what they probably didn't anticipate? People just streaming the damn Network...

Sure, it's not the same thing. It's only $10/month & you can pick & choose the shows you want to watch. The price isn't the problem for most of the people that I've spoken with, though. What's the selling point to hardcore fans? A bunch of stuff they've already seen & current PPVs that they're not interested in or were watching for free anyway.

WWE needs to find a way to make the WWE Network appeal to a wider audience. It feels like it's just the for the die-hard wrestling fans right now. Like, why is a casual WWE Monday Night RAW fan going to care about WCCW episodes getting uploaded? I'm just not sure what the demographics are & it feels like it's really underachieved.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1359-jan-2014-wrestling-discussion-reboot-thread/page-68#entry116521

• Like 1

Malenko and Misterio had a great GAB '95 match that I remember and an awesome match at Havoc '96. They also had a good match on Nitro at some point.

Basically, just watch all of Malenko's PPV matches from about mid-'95 to late '96 where his whole gimmick was basically desperately wanting to be Cruiserweight Champ and that title seemed like the second most important one in the company. He had awesome matches with Psicosis, Rey, Ultimo Dragon, and also had a little thing with Eddie Guerrero going that produced fun matches. 

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week. 

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

I read this as a Concussion Stand Brawl, and well, from what was read, it doesn't seem too far off.

Here's something that interests me:

The evolution of tastes among the internet wrestling community. 10 years ago, people were all about using blood to get an angle over, Davey Richards style MOVEZ~! guys and PURE SPORTS BUILD. Now, it seems to be the opposite. 

Has there been a seismic shift in the IWC's attitudes or is DVDVR an exception?

10 years ago, there was a lot less exposure to both the business and to other companies. You couldn't go simply to streaming video sites to see great matches and such.

We also know a lot more about injury risks than we did a decade ago. After the Benoit murders, it wasn't something you could simply gloss over anymore.

A lot of the Davey-hate comes from him trying to portray himself as Benoitcito.

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week. 

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

I read this as a Concussion Stand Brawl, and well, from what was read, it doesn't seem too far off.

I saved that for doing supremely stupid stuff later on. I lay, stomach first, on a skateboard and got pushed down a hill and ended up cracking my head off the edge of a stone grit box which had me woozy for a while. I don't think it caused any real damage to my cerebram cjd cjfvnw;eflkdgnvr'f

as for the lid suggestion, that's a good one but we probably would have chokeslammed somebody through the entire box to get a good near-fall.

• Like 1

Here's something that interests me:

The evolution of tastes among the internet wrestling community. 10 years ago, people were all about using blood to get an angle over, Davey Richards style MOVEZ~! guys and PURE SPORTS BUILD. Now, it seems to be the opposite. 

Has there been a seismic shift in the IWC's attitudes or is DVDVR an exception?

10 years ago, there was a lot less exposure to both the business and to other companies. You couldn't go simply to streaming video sites to see great matches and such.

We also know a lot more about injury risks than we did a decade ago. After the Benoit murders, it wasn't something you could simply gloss over anymore.

A lot of the Davey-hate comes from him trying to portray himself as Benoitcito.

Speaking for myself, I hate Davey because he stole money from a promoter and was complicit in unprofessional conduct against an underage rookie.  His matches, I can generally take or leave.

Is it a case of pro-wrestling (well, WWE) fans being "cheap" or just the majority of people that the WWE Network would appeal to (I.E. people that already were stealing PPVs via illegal streams) just more tech-savvy than WWE anticipated?

You know what they probably didn't anticipate? People just streaming the damn Network...

Sure, it's not the same thing. It's only $10/month & you can pick & choose the shows you want to watch. The price isn't the problem for most of the people that I've spoken with, though. What's the selling point to hardcore fans? A bunch of stuff they've already seen & current PPVs that they're not interested in or were watching for free anyway.

WWE needs to find a way to make the WWE Network appeal to a wider audience. It feels like it's just the for the die-hard wrestling fans right now. Like, why is a casual WWE Monday Night RAW fan going to care about WCCW episodes getting uploaded? I'm just not sure what the demographics are & it feels like it's really underachieved.

There are a lot of factors at play, I think.

As WWE fans go, you generally have the kids and casual adult fans who don't really care about WWE's history or really anything outside of Cena and co. They're not going to pay $10 a month for some archive, especially when it doesn't even have last night's Raw on it.

Then you have the hardcore fans you mentioned, who were likely already streaming PPVs for free.

Then you have jaded people like me who cringe at the thought of giving Vince ten CENTS, let alone ten dollars a month.

as for the lid suggestion, that's a good one but we probably would have chokeslammed somebody through the entire box to get a good near-fall.

And find myself on the business end of a parental scolding? No thank you! I'd never risk hellfire and brimstone like that if it could be avoided. I was a huge pussy as a kid. 

My problem with the network is it's programmed so poorly. We were told "oh there will be so much orginal programming". NXT is great and all, but it would be nice if they put a little more thought into what occupies most of the schedule. Someone here a couple of pages back suggested they should broadcast house shows. That would be a good start for original programming.

Saturday Night's Main Event...Live every week. MLB has the game of the week or what ever. I'm sure the logistics could be worked out. It doesnt have to be a super PPV caliber production. Though I'm sure Kevin Dunn would just love having to produce a good old fashioned rasslin broadcast. Seriously though most arena's have in house production anyway so they wouldn't have to bring all the WWE camera's.

My problem with the network is it's programmed so poorly. We were told "oh there will be so much orginal programming". NXT is great and all, but it would be nice if they put a little more thought into what occupies most of the schedule. Someone here a couple of pages back suggested they should broadcast house shows. That would be a good start for original programming.

Saturday Night's Main Event...Live every week. MLB has the game of the week or what ever. I'm sure the logistics could be worked out. It doesnt have to be a super PPV caliber production. Though I'm sure Kevin Dunn would just love having to produce a good old fashioned rasslin broadcast. Seriously though most arena's have in house production anyway so they wouldn't have to bring all the WWE camera's.

SNME live, every week?  Seriously?  How would they manage this thing not being a steaming pile of shit?  RAW and SD are too much, as it is, and you want to add SNME?  It isn't 1985 anymore and RAW doesn't just feature Duane Gill and Mike Bell matches, for this type of thing to be viable.  Plus, it was already mentioned that it would cost even more money.  My guess is that they don't want to add any other live shows or do any expensive reality shows for the Network, at this point.

I do think it would be cool if they aired each MSG show live or taped.  That'd be pretty cool since those shows are usually booked to be more exciting than the other house shows.

My brother killed the territory when he completely no sold 3 consecutive piledrivers on the exposed hard wood floor.  I commend him for his 6 week sell job of the subsequent chicken wing post match beatdown for it, but, really, I don't care if you're 9. That's not what's best for business. As far as I'm concerned, he was the one who deserved all the backstage heat for that. Not I. I was defending the business, and standing up for all the other boys in the back.

• Like 7

Not sure if this is the right place to put it but i'm going to ask anyway!

Does anyone have any recollection of a Backlund match in Japan which looked like a worked shoot. It starts with some regular holds and then Backlunds opponent just headbutts him and he starts gushing blood and then runs to back?

And find myself on the business end of a parental scolding? No thank you! I'd never risk hellfire and brimstone like that if it could be avoided. I was a huge pussy as a kid.

Shit...my cousin and I broke a card table while wrestling in the Basement Wrestling Federation. This was minutes after my Mom warned us "don't be down there breaking my stuff".

Thanks to some help from my Dad we "fixed" said table well enough that it stayed together for a few weeks and she was none the wiser.

15 years later my cousin and I were over at my Parents and my Dad broke out the old tapes. My Mom got legit pissed when she saw what truly broke her table. Kinda surprised she didn't smack us then and there.

• Like 1

It was vs Takada in 1988 UWF.

Is that the one that lasts like thirty seconds and ends with Backlund rolled up in a ball after being kicked in the solar plexus while the crowd gets unruly, or was that a different UWF/UWFi match?