DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Hm, Sting's son is playing college football. if Jim Ross still ran talent relations, he would cold-call Sting Jr about becoming a pro wrestler within 10 minutes of him graduating from school.

Here's Steven Borden from the University of Kentucky.

9049828.jpeg

Personal: Born in Atlanta, Ga. ... Son of Steve and Sue Borden ... Major is in integrated strategic communications.

Community Cats: Participated in an event with the Special Olympics (2013) ... Helped with service event at Elkhorn Calvary Church (2014).

Steven Says ... If I could trade places with any athlete, it would be: Kelly Slater ... Other than the NFL, my dream job is: professional surfer ... My game-day superstition is: putting on my left cleat first ... The coolest thing about being at UK is: the game day atmosphere and the fact that we have the best fans in the country ... The one thing I like most about football is: the intensity and competition.

Someday the entire team will turn on him on the field.  Poor bastard will never see it coming.

• Like 16

So I was going through some of my mothers things, and I found some of my writing that she kept, including a small self published book of poetry. I hadn't looked at it or even really thought about it in years. I remembered some of it, and of course it was all terrible, it was high school poetry that I turned in to a zine to sell on consignment. Anyway, a few of the poems were about pro wrestling, and I guess I thought my readers weren't as well versed in the world of pro graps so I included a glossary. There were things you'd expect, like quick definitions of face, heel and the like, but there was also this gem: "Jerry Lynn- Inarguably the best all around wrestler in the world." First, I'd like to say this is probably the worst opinion I've ever had concerning anything. Second, I don't even remember having this terrible opinion. It was humbling, to say the least.

I post this so that everyone can have a good chuckle at 17 year old JR, but also I ask you: does anyone else remember having some embarrassingly bad opinions on who was great and who sucked when they were in their younger years?

• Like 4

So I was going through some of my mothers things, and I found some of my writing that she kept, including a small self published book of poetry. I hadn't looked at it or even really thought about it in years. I remembered some of it, and of course it was all terrible, it was high school poetry that I turned in to a zine to sell on consignment. Anyway, a few of the poems were about pro wrestling, and I guess I thought my readers weren't as well versed in the world of pro graps so I included a glossary. There were things you'd expect, like quick definitions of face, heel and the like, but there was also this gem: "Jerry Lynn- Inarguably the best all around wrestler in the world." First, I'd like to say this is probably the worst opinion I've ever had concerning anything. Second, I don't even remember having this terrible opinion. It was humbling, to say the least.

I post this so that everyone can have a good chuckle at 17 year old JR, but also I ask you: does anyone else remember having some embarrassingly bad opinions on who was great and who sucked when they were in their younger years?

But you said it was unarguable.... I'm so confused....

Did Joey Styles get any reprimand for decking JBL?

He actually got the Vince seal of approval and a Slammy named after him. In Vince's mind, the fact that Styles stood up for himself and knocked JBL on his ass meant that he was man.

Pretty sure RVD falls into that category for a lot of people. I thought a lot of the indy flippy guys from the early 00's were incredible wrestlers.

Not to be 'that guy' but I don't think that is a terrible opinion.  I mean I don't agree but there was probably a stretch in the late 90s that he was viewed as one of the better 'fundamental' wrestlers on TV.  His matches against RVD were highly thought of at the time.  So don't feel too bad, younger JR, there are certainly worse opinions out there.  I mean in the DVDVR ECW Top Matches vote, Lynn was in the Top 20 twice if it makes you feel any better :P 

As a kid I always had good taste in wrestlers but my brother was a mark for Brutus Beefcake.  That is far worse than liking Jerry Lynn.

As a kid I always had good taste in wrestlers but my brother was a mark for Brutus Beefcake. That is far worse than liking Jerry Lynn.

When I was 13, I was convinced Beefcake was one of the better technical wrestlers in the WWF. I have no idea why, other than I had just started watching wrestling and had no idea what a technical wrestler actually was.

As a kid I always had good taste in wrestlers but my brother was a mark for Brutus Beefcake. That is far worse than liking Jerry Lynn.

When I was 13, I was convinced Beefcake was one of the better technical wrestlers in the WWF. I have no idea why, other than I had just started watching wrestling and had no idea what a technical wrestler actually was.

Technically Beefcake was a wrestler. Technically.

• Like 3

That was a great post. 

I watched Wrestlemania III via closed circuit at a local high school.  Upon exiting, I tried to convince everyone I ran into that the main event for Mania IV would be Hulk Hogan vs the next big thing...Dangerous Danny Davis.

• Like 2

I was a huge RVD fan in the early 00s. I was convinced he should have taken the Rock/Austin slot as top babyface after those guys left. There was no doubt in my mind that he was being held down by the man and that his talents merited a huge push.

To make matters worse, I still love the guy. I no longer feel as strongly about him being held down back then (probably on account of me coming to love some perennial headliners who the internet derided as having held people down; as I got older, I experienced both sides of that argument), but part of me still takes issue with Nash, Michaels, and Goldberg being pushed above him on Raw. Sure, they were safe choices which had some semblance of logic behind them. But Van Dam was mega over. How Booker got that Mania title shot is beyond me. You'll never convince me he was more popular than RVD. 

I still mark for RVD in 2014. I marked for RVD in TNA. I now recognize that he's the epitome of a shitty worker who's only concerned with getting his shit in. My taste has evolved beyond that. But some strong bonds formed in youth grow with time. The heart wants what it wants. 

Feel better, JR. 

• Like 2