DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

TNA's checks are backed by Panda Energy so they don't bounce. However, Panda might soon get tired of the giant loss leader that is TNA.

But if Alberto wants checks that don't bounce, TNA is probably his safest bet.

Sure, they don't bounce, but good luck getting them to issue you a check on time.

It's absolutely hilarious that Dixie, or anyone else in TNA, thinks that their championship has any sort of importance or meaning in Del Rio's mind. Pitching it to him as incentive like this is 1974 and it's the NWA Championship is all kinds of delusional.

The commentary when Christian wins the TNA title is odd/sad for that reason. They sell it exactly as you say here. 

Del Rio just another in a long list of guys that makes me miss WCW. Would be fun watching him work in front of those crowds.

It's absolutely hilarious that Dixie, or anyone else in TNA, thinks that their championship has any sort of importance or meaning in Del Rio's mind. Pitching it to him as incentive like this is 1974 and it's the NWA Championship is all kinds of delusional.

The commentary when Christian wins the TNA title is odd/sad for that reason. They sell it exactly as you say here. 

Del Rio just another in a long list of guys that makes me miss WCW. Would be fun watching him work in front of those crowds.

To be fair, the commentary is SUPPOSED to sell it like that. You're supposed to try to convince your audience that your championship is important. 

The question is WHERE does the TNA World Title rank in terms of prestige? Is it more prestigious than the Intercontinental and US Championships?

What possible advantage would TNA have in signing this guy?  If they signed Cena right now, I'm not sure it would matter a ton, honestly.  Signing a guy like this would only serve to keep ratings the same, show attendance the same, and won't do a damn thing for PPVs.  What's the point? 

Might want to lose the reverse superplex if he goes to Mexico though because I can see somebody ending up in a wheelchair from taking it wrong....

ADR borrowed that from Ultimo Guerrero, who's used it for years without yet killing anyone - he couldn't use it CMLL but there's a lot stupider things done in AAA all the time.

"We have a great new star who's going to draw the Latino fans you're looking for" couldn't hurt if you're desperately looking for someone to pick you up. It's probably not a difference maker but TNA needs as many lottery tickets as they can get at the moment.

I just said in a recent thread ADR was the most underrated guy on the roster. I really loved everything about him. He was somehow a great technical worker and a vicious SOB all at once. He could at the snap of a finger go from really great Arn/Tully style arm work and looking like a rich jerk to giving concussions with some awesome kick and looking like a total monster. He had a few borderline all-time classic moments -- the LMS match against Show and the Dolph double turn. His stuff with Ricardo was a blast, too.

His last two matches against Dean were two of my favorites of the year. They were really great opponents -- street trash who doesn't say I quit against a rich jerk with no sympathy/guy with damaged arm against a guy who rips out arms for fun -- and could have really had an all-time great feud at some point.

Hopefully he shows back up at some point. I mean, who knows what the hell happened. But if he was off TV for a few months or a year and showed back up, he'd get a huge response right away.

But he's still one of the best workers of the past few years and someone I'll miss watching.

• Like 4

And Cena hasn't stood up to The Authority on her behalf at all. What's the point of dating the champ when he doesn't even stand up for you?

And yet Cena's more than willing to run in to save a helpless Daniel Bryan or even the numbers for Reigns and Ambrose. Bros before hoes? 

I can't wait to see some clueless indie-darling try to get over on Del Rio by pulling a page out of Punk's book and calling him "boring." 

By the time Del Rio's 90-day no-compete is up, TNA will be off the air.

I'm down with him being a good wrestler, but he's just so bland. He's kinda like Ziggler, except I still believe the right manager could save Ziggler. Maybe the right manager could save Del Rio, too, but I have more faith in Ziggler.

Del Rio's legacy is being the king of "almost but not quite" guys like Kennedy, Carlito, Morrison, etc. He definitely had some great moments, including a couple high-end MOTDC level matches. My lasting memories of him will be the double turn match with Ziggler and that one time he did guest commentary and Micahel Cole ripped him a new one over calling everyone a perro and a gringo.

Del Rio: Here's what I think about (wrestler)...

Cole: Let me guess, he's a gringo and a perro.

Del Rio: ...

And later Cole dropped a really annoyed "Yeah, yeah, gringo perro, we get it" or something similar.