DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Odd random question, only coming to mind because I go to a lot of indy shows where some do it and some don't:

National Anthem at the start of a wrestling show, yea or nay?

I say "nay" in most cases. First of all, many shows feature international talent, so running the anthem seems a bit out-of-place

Second, if we're talking about the U.S. National Anthem, it's a song about taking an ass-kicking from the Brits in the War of 1812. That's a lame way to start a show. This is why, if you're going to do that sort of thing, WWE gets it right by singing "America the Beautiful" instead. 

I say no, but then I think the national anthem before a sporting event is just fucking weird.

I agree.  I think the anthem should be reserved for things like the Super Bowl and Game 7 of the Finals/World Series.

And the Olympics, obviously.

I was at the Studio 54 debut of Bam Bam Bigelow, fresh out of the Monster Factory. If I recall correctly, he destroyed two enhancement talents at once. Also appearing for the first time in the ring, Lisa Sliwa, wife of Curtis Sliwa, Emperor of the Guardian Angels. She was horrific. The event was sparsely attended. It paled in comparison to Freddie Blassie coming to L'Amour (pronounced Lah-Moorz) East. If the Hollywood Fashion Plate of Wrestling had so desired, he could have had his pick of a dozen nubile metal queens, but instead he waved them away with his cane, shouting "Get out of here! I already have 9 ex-wives! What do I want with you dingy broads?". My young self was duly impressed.

memories,

RAF

p.s. - I cannot find the invite to that S54 event, but I do have a poster of the Blassie fete. I possess some extraordinary pics and ephemera. I will start scanning soon.

• Like 11

I had a good friend in grad school from Germany. He said the number one thing that shocked him the most about America was how many flags and churches we had. And he spent all of his time in the Philly/NYC/DC region and didn't even go to the Bible belt.

• Like 1

I was at the Studio 54 debut of Bam Bam Bigelow, fresh out of the Monster Factory. If I recall correctly, he destroyed two enhancement talents at once. Also appearing for the first time in the ring, Lisa Sliwa, wife of Curtis Sliwa, Emperor of the Guardian Angels. She was horrific. The event was sparsely attended.

Therein lies the rub.  Yes, Paul Heyman may have worked at Studio 54, but that's like saying EZ Money got a big push in WCW.   Both got their positions long after either had any relevance.

I hope those TNTs with Lisa Sliwa show up on the Network.  It was obvious that Vince thought she was THE next female star.

• Like 1

Nope, that goes to Rock.  Big Eagle, Undisputed, World, Spinner, and Logo.

Oh, and Hogan's tied.  Big Green, Silver, Hogan 86, Classic Eagle, and Undisputed.  One more if you count the Big Gold when it was WCW.

Although if you're counting because they're redoing every belt to change the Scratch logo to the Network logo, then Rock is still ahead, (I think he had the Block Logo Big Eagle before they switched everything to the Scratch Logo)

Only one wrestler had the Block Logo Big Eagle, Steve Austin. And Vince gave Arnold a blue strapped one on a very early Smackdown.

I was at the Studio 54 debut of Bam Bam Bigelow, fresh out of the Monster Factory. If I recall correctly, he destroyed two enhancement talents at once. Also appearing for the first time in the ring, Lisa Sliwa, wife of Curtis Sliwa, Emperor of the Guardian Angels. She was horrific. The event was sparsely attended. It paled in comparison to Freddie Blassie coming to L'Amour (pronounced Lah-Moorz) East. If the Hollywood Fashion Plate of Wrestling had so desired, he could have had his pick of a dozen nubile metal queens, but instead he waved them away with his cane, shouting "Get out of here! I already have 9 ex-wives! What do I want with you dingy broads?". My young self was duly impressed.

memories,

RAF

p.s. - I cannot find the invite to that S54 event, but I do have a poster of the Blassie fete. I possess some extraordinary pics and ephemera. I will start scanning soon.

Reminds me that I need to read Blassie's book again.  I remember loving it.

Sometimes I feel like the only national identity Canadians have is their "I'm not American"-ness.

Countdown to thread locking...

If "Big Wiggly Teeters" didn't kill July, then Canada's "American by Continent Only" stance shouldn't do it in August ...