DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Does a schedule of house shows exist for Mid-South/UWF? 1986 in particular... Thanks

I don't know, you'll have to check next month's issue of PWI though. I'm personally interested in how this UWF thing goes. The WWF has a lot of momentum and Hulk Hogan is pretty hot right now. This Orndorff feud is going places. I bet they main event WrestleMania III, I can't imagine a bigger match for the WWF. Watts is going to have to try hard to topple Hulkamania. 

Crockett has some good stuff too. That Magnum TA kid is going to be HUGE in the coming years.  

• Like 1

Reigns, like Batista before him and Nash before him, is a Hollywood blockbuster. Big, heavily promoted, an obvious attraction that likely isn't going to surprise with its content. Guys like Ambrose and Cesaro and Rollins caught on organically and are complelling to watch. That

ddoesn't mean that they are going to be top guys, but they probably should be. That's exactly why they can't make new stars. You don't become a star, they make you one, and that's the only way it is allowed to work anymore.

• Like 1

I would argue that Austin, Rock, Punk, Bryan and to a certain extent Bret all got there the "hard" way. There's also the unwritten rule of "don't let one guys popularity overshadow the company" that was adopted after Rock bolted to Hollywood and Austin took his ball and went home. There's a small space of popular that you are allowed to exist in.

Does a schedule of house shows exist for Mid-South/UWF? 1986 in particular... Thanks

Crockett has some good stuff too. That Magnum TA kid is going to be HUGE in the coming years.  

No doubt they'll find a way to cut him off at the knees..

This feud with Nikita is going to get him over huge. I predict that he'll be NWA World Champion by Starrcade 87.

Guardians of the Galaxy is tremendous, and is crushing at the box office.

Batista is getting raves. Think we'll ever see him in WWE again?

I have literally seen no one raving about Batista.

I definitely wouldn't say "raving," but he is getting some plaudits for his dry comedic abilities in the role from many reviewers. For example:

And Bautista’s soulful, humorous humorlessness might be the happiest surprise of all. I’ve seen him “act” on TV’s Raw and have wanted to call “timber.” But here he’s something like a brute-comedian.

http://grantland.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-get-on-up-review/

Well what I've seen from actual critics (as opposed to some wrestling fan on Grantland) went mostly along the lines of "David Bautista works well in the role of Drax." I think the most positive comment was "Bautista shows a gift for deadpan delivery."

The comments are appropriate, because that role was written around not having a real actor playing the part. 95% of his appearances are either stone-faced or rage-faced, and that's pretty much Batista's range.

Guardians of the Galaxy is tremendous, and is crushing at the box office.

Batista is getting raves. Think we'll ever see him in WWE again?

I have literally seen no one raving about Batista.

I definitely wouldn't say "raving," but he is getting some plaudits for his dry comedic abilities in the role from many reviewers. For example:

And Bautista’s soulful, humorous humorlessness might be the happiest surprise of all. I’ve seen him “act” on TV’s Raw and have wanted to call “timber.” But here he’s something like a brute-comedian.

http://grantland.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-get-on-up-review/

Well what I've seen from actual critics (as opposed to some wrestling fan on Grantland) went mostly along the lines of "David Bautista works well in the role of Drax." I think the most positive comment was "Bautista shows a gift for deadpan delivery."

The comments are appropriate, because that role was written around not having a real actor playing the part. 95% of his appearances are either stone-faced or rage-faced, and that's pretty much Batista's range.

Um, Wesley Morris is a Pulitzer Prize-winning movie critic. 

I've seen mostly minor praise for Batista that's much like this from other critics, too. 

Like I said, I wouldn't call what the critics are saying about his performance "raves." More like "pleasant surprise."

In my defense: Grantland.

The same site that has arguably the best basketball (Zach Lowe), football (Bill Barnwell), and hockey (Sean McIndoe) writers going today. I am as anti-ESPN as anyone, but Grantland has tons of excellent writing on many different subjects.

• Like 1

Here's a review from some British guy on BleedingCool.com:

In honesty though, Drax is the real revelation. Dave Bautista has shown he is a great actor outside of his wrestling confines. Drax has a quiet and subtle arch that is given emotional heft by Bautista. His comedic timing when exploring the literal nature of Drax is great, but he also brings a genuine gravitas to the role. He is a star in the making and if you look over my interview on the red carpet, I think you will see that.

Not sure I buy it, but there you go.

I'll say this: there are two strong scenes that Batista is in - one comedic, one touching - that he delivers a very subtle, almost natural performance, and he thoroughly was a highlight of the film with the packed theater patrons that saw the movie at the showing I attended.

Guess it comes to sometimes fans are going to like what they like, and critics are allowed to get it wrong. Besides, every critic these days would rather call atte tion to themselves, not the film they're reviewing. I blame Chris Hyatte.

• Like 1

I have decided that no has figured out the real reason that the internet killed wrestling. It's none of the usual reasons, it's because a pro wrestling event used to be the only place you could go to rant, rave, cuss, scream and act like a lunatic in front of everyone and have it be generally accepted. Now you don't have to leave home.

• Like 3

What are the definitive Rock v. Triple H matches? My son, who has only seen the Rock in the Cena Wrestlemania matches and Triple H in recent years, wants to see.

Show him some Rip Rogers instead.

Ok, maybe not the match with Chris Colt and Adrian Street.

• Like 4

What are the definitive Rock v. Triple H matches? My son, who has only seen the Rock in the Cena Wrestlemania matches and Triple H in recent years, wants to see.

Backlash 2000 and the Ironman Match from Judgement Day 2000. For shits and giggles, maybe even the one from IYH--Final Four to see how drastically their characters have changed. Plus that was the debut of Chyna if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1