DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

He was great as the muscle in the Shield. Strong silent type. As a main eventer and the next "guy", I don't see it or the Rock comparisons. In the four way match, he looked small, winded, as if he won an Indy raffle to appear in a WWE main event. He's 29, it's not as if he's a young prodigy or proven hand like Austin with loads of charisma or good mic work.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy is tremendous, and is crushing at the box office.

Batista is getting raves. Think we'll ever see him in WWE again?

After this, he should have a much easier time coming in as a red-hot babyface. I think. Maybe. Assuming I'm not over-estimating the popularity of the Marvel movies. Which one really can't in 2014. 

No one is going to cheer Batista just because he gave a good performance in a Marvel movie. Maybe if he beat the fuck out of Triple H on his return or something, but that's the only way I see him getting cheered. The fans in general just don't care about him anymore - they've moved on.

to Roman Reigns ;)

He was great as the muscle in the Shield. Strong silent type. As a main eventer and the next "guy", I don't see it or the Rock comparisons. In the four way match, he looked small, winded, as if he won an Indy raffle to appear in a WWE main event. He's 29, it's not as if he's a young prodigy or proven hand like Austin with loads of charisma or good mic work.

Batista won his first world title when he was 37. Age doesn't really matter, 29 is relatively young in 2014 WWE. Hell KENTA and Devitt are both in there 30's and are years behind Reigns in WWE land. Reigns will be a top star one day, no doubt about it. Is he ready for the company to be built around him? No. He isn't. Will he get the chance? probably not for a few years considering Cena is still around and isn't showing any signs of slowing down either.

No one is going to cheer Batista just because he gave a good performance in a Marvel movie.

I'm not sure I agree. Marvel movies are a much bigger force in entertainment than WWE these days. I wouldn't be shocked if it buys Dave some good will.

People may have moved on from Batista as a top guy, but Marvel movies are still a big fucking deal. 

Guardians of the Galaxy is tremendous, and is crushing at the box office.

Batista is getting raves. Think we'll ever see him in WWE again?

I have literally seen no one raving about Batista.

I definitely wouldn't say "raving," but he is getting some plaudits for his dry comedic abilities in the role from many reviewers. For example:

And Bautista’s soulful, humorous humorlessness might be the happiest surprise of all. I’ve seen him “act” on TV’s Raw and have wanted to call “timber.” But here he’s something like a brute-comedian.

http://grantland.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-get-on-up-review/

Most of the Batista love I've seen has been the back handed compliment sort.

"Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana were fantastic in their roles, capturing the essence of their characters magnificently and breathing life into them, forging a bond with the audience that will last for generations. Shaved gorilla Dave Bautista surprisingly manages to form complete sentences without becoming startled and attacking his costars, eating them whole."

• Like 6

"Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana were fantastic in their roles, capturing the essence of their characters magnificently and breathing life into them, forging a bond with the audience that will last for generations. Shaved gorilla Dave Bautista surprisingly manages to form complete sentences without becoming startled and attacking his costars, eating them whole."

"You see, he's one of those fake professional wrestlers, who are total fakes, and if only wrestling fans were as smart as I am, they'd know it's fake and then they wouldn't like it anymore.  Because it's fake."

• Like 11

Batista won his first world title when he was 37. Age doesn't really matter, 29 is relatively young in 2014 WWE. Hell KENTA and Devitt are both in there 30's and are years behind Reigns in WWE land. Reigns will be a top star one day, no doubt about it. Is he ready for the company to be built around him? No. He isn't. Will he get the chance? probably not for a few years considering Cena is still around and isn't showing any signs of slowing down either.

If you think giving someone the belt (considering the list of wwe champs over the past 15 years) means they are "the guy" and a Cena replacement or that the plan for Batista was the same as Reigns, I can't win in this discussion.

Batista was pretty shit as well until his feud with Trips shot him to the stars. Reigns will be fine, organically or not he's getting the title at some point in the next year, plenty of time to learn.

If only there were some sort of title that existed below the World title, that they could use as a stepping stone to test Reigns' drawing power and allow his in-ring ability to develop. Too bad there's nothing like that.

Watching the early 1995 RAWs, it's difficult to tell the difference between Reigns and Nash's push.

The biggest difference is that Reigns won't have Bret and Shawn to carry him.

I've been spending a lot of time making this comparison as well, and I agree entirely that Nash had the better supporting cast. I guess one could look at Reigns' time in the Shield as the parallel to Nash's time as Shawn's bodyguard. But in my estimation, Reigns needs his version of Razor Ramon to work with every night to REALLY get him to the next level.

• Like 1

That critic as a mark for himself then, because I just saw the movie and Batista was incredibly good in his role.

Why is there a Reigns backlash?

The guy has been in probably at least half of the best matches of the past two years. I know he's just a part of those matches, but he's been in some epics. His run in the Royal Rumble was awesome, as was him taking out an entire side last Survivor Series. The final third part of Shield vs. Wyatts I was about whether or not he could overcome the odds once again, which he just about did. That's probably the MOTD, and a huge chunk of it was built around him being a juggernaut.

The dude also has the two most over spots in the company right now, if you could judge such a thing. The Superman Punch and The Spear both get gigantic reactions. The apron dropkick move is absolutely nuts, too.

He's not Dean or Bray in promos, but he's far from bad. He's just a laid back killer who steps in people's faces when he sees fit.

Reigns rules so much.

• Like 2

The guy has been in probably at least half of the best matches of the past two years. I know he's just a part of those matches, but he's been in some epics. His run in the Royal Rumble was awesome, as was him taking out an entire side last Survivor Series. The final third part of Shield vs. Wyatts I was about whether or not he could overcome the odds once again, which he just about did. That's probably the MOTD, and a huge chunk of it was built around him being a juggernaut.

The dude also has the two most over spots in the company right now, if you could judge such a thing. The Superman Punch and The Spear both get gigantic reactions. The apron dropkick move is absolutely nuts, too.

He's not Dean or Bray in promos, but he's far from bad. He's just a laid back killer who steps in people's faces when he sees fit.

Reigns rules so much.

In fairness, I'm not backlashing against him.  He was almost my least favorite part of the Shield.

Reigns rules so much.

Definitely agree that Reigns is a promising future star that is climbing the ladder in nice order, Also, I gasp am enjoying the  ongoing Reigns-Orton feud. This is the best Orton has looked in a year, and a good first major feud for Reigns as a singles star. Not sure if he will a generational type star, but he should be a major figure for the next bunch of years,

That critic as a mark for himself then, because I just saw the movie and Batista was incredibly good in his role.

I'm guessing that wasn't a real review...

• Like 1