DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Maybe it's because HHH is actually in full control of NXT and NXT is fucking awesome while RAW is very hit or miss?

Yeah if NXT is any indication, when Triple H gets control of RAW, dare I say most of it might be watchable.

Brodus debuted as a mid-card fun babyface and got over, not every guy who shows up is supposed to be groomed for the main event. The original Sin Cara didn't work out for a great number of reasons, just about all of which can be solely blamed on Sin Cara. He was a disaster from his debut on TV and steadily got worse.

Actually, Brodus was repackaged as a dancing fool by Hunter, as well as the blue lighting and horrendous trampoline into the ring for Sin Cara. He pushed them, they were his guys, they failed. Ok, someone who actually knows the history and facts, why have the new fans sided with Hunter and dismiss Vince (with his years of success) as the crazy old codger? It seems curious to me as I don't see it. The NXT guys who have gotten over had success in the indies...where are the stars developed there? Adam Rose?

Given the rather notable lack of actual talent Brodus had, the Funkasaurus character had a pretty decent run for awhile, certainly better than if he'd just gone out as fat guy monster heel #48. I'm not sure he can be called a failure on HHH's part.

And, since it passed you by the first time, 99% of what was wrong with Sin Cara was not the gimmick.

There's plenty of shit Hunter gets wrong, but Brodus and Sin Cara aren't them.

Brodus was improving every week when he was Del Rio's bodyguard and he always looked good on Superstars. Having him be repackaged as a dancing good guy was a bad decision. 

Everything he did was more suited for a heel. This is the first I have heard of it being Triple H's idea.

Brodus debuted as a mid-card fun babyface and got over, not every guy who shows up is supposed to be groomed for the main event. The original Sin Cara didn't work out for a great number of reasons, just about all of which can be solely blamed on Sin Cara. He was a disaster from his debut on TV and steadily got worse.

Actually, Brodus was repackaged as a dancing fool by Hunter, as well as the blue lighting and horrendous trampoline into the ring for Sin Cara. He pushed them, they were his guys, they failed. Ok, someone who actually knows the history and facts, why have the new fans sided with Hunter and dismiss Vince (with his years of success) as the crazy old codger? It seems curious to me as I don't see it. The NXT guys who have gotten over had success in the indies...where are the stars developed there? Adam Rose?
Given the rather notable lack of actual talent Brodus had, the Funkasaurus character had a pretty decent run for awhile, certainly better than if he'd just gone out as fat guy monster heel #48. I'm not sure he can be called a failure on HHH's part.

And, since it passed you by the first time, 99% of what was wrong with Sin Cara was not the gimmick.

There's plenty of shit Hunter gets wrong, but Brodus and Sin Cara aren't them.

I would think that the two month promise of a debut by Brodus Clay would indicate he was meant for more than six months of zero reaction and a release. That being said, I have been watching Raw 94/95 and I've seen multiple vignettes promising the debut of Henry Godwinn, TL Hopper, Waylon Mercy and Issac Yankem, so who knows.

Or the 2 months of promising a debut without giving him one and then changing his gimmick at the last minute indicated a guy they wanted to maybe do something with but had no idea what. Brodus just is not a very good wrestler. He'd been around for like 6-7 years but in his last run on NXT he looked worse than the guys that are still in developmental.

It's unfair to label Triple H as a Brian Cashman also. Yes, he has signed a bunch of credible indy dudes which we all might do if we had an open checkbook but WWE could have been doing that for years and didn't until Hunter took over. He's completely changing the culture of developmental.

The thing about Brodus Clay is that he is terrible in the ring. They gave him a fun mid card babyface act that lost steam. No shame in that. I don't know what anyone else could want in the dude other than two years of doing silly stuff that entertained kids at house shows. That's an important role. He filled it for a while and went on his way.

NXT gave us 2/3rds of The Wyatt Family and Roman Reigns. And Paige and Bo Dallas have been pretty awesome so far, too. And Rusev and Lana have been wonderful in their throwback role.

The only non-indie darlings who haven't clicked are Adam Rose, Emma, Big E. and Xavier Woods. And Big E. has had some really decent matches and Xavier Woods wasn't anyone that was going to be anything big, although he was great on Main Event in his new persona.

Also, I think Ambrose, Rollins and Harper's NXT time brought them to how good they are now.

The NXT system and its call ups have been pretty clearly great. Not everything will work. But they have a great on-base percentage.

The Roman Reigns as a blue chip prospect thing is sort of interesting. 29 years old, 4 years in WWE developmental and main roster, still can't cut a promo and is unproven as a 20 minute singles wrestler, much less a main eventer. It makes someone like Orton or Rock more amazing to me.

• Like 4

I'm am serious.  I've seen literally nothing from the dude that makes me want to watch him.  Yes, he'll get a push because he's good looking and Samoan, but I just really feel strongly that he's not going to move the needle in any way.

• Like 1