DVDVR Message Board

MISC MATCHES

DEAN

This is a pretty good episode, which features the debut of the Freebirds on WTBS as Michael lays it down on the introduction of all the members late-70's Southern Jive.  Also, witness Gordy try to cripple young Tim Horner with a prototype-power bomb. Then you have Mr. Saito giving a fake apology to Steve Keirn for injuring him and then facing off against one of the "employees at the hospital" to take Saito on in his $5000 challenge. I've never seen Saito be that heavy in showing his amateur skills, but by gawd, is he a fucking beast on the mat!  I'm gonna be looking up some of his early matches today. Harley Race is up next doing tv match against enhancement talent, and while it's a standard Race squash, it also reminds me that wrestling doesn't have to be fast-paced all the time.  There was a simplicity and a brutality to everything he was doing and it was awesome.  Freebirds show up again, and this time it's Hayes and Roberts.  Hey look! Roberts gives a guy a Destiny Hammer!!!  Who knew the 'Birds were so ahead of their time?  Austin Idol closes this out defending the GA Heavyweight title, with Tony Atlas on commentary.

• Like 2

Can anyone familiar with GCW possibly explain to me how one month after the Last Battle of Atlanta, that TOMMY RICH and BUZZ SAWYER were teaming together in the main event???    Is this when Sawyer turned because of his brother Brett Wayne?

GCW @ Atlanta, GA - Omni - November 24, 1983 (12,000)
Thanksgiving Day
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: King Kong Bundy & Jim Neidhart defeated Joe Lightfoot & Tommy Rogers
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated Randy Rose & Jim Randolph
Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: The Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Nikolai Volkoff & Korstia Korchenko
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Ron Garvin & Jim Duggan defeated Chic Donovan & Bob Brown
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Randy Savage & Magnum TA defeated the Mongolians
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Quarter Finals: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated King Kong Bundy & Jim Neidhart
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Quarter Finals: The Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Ron Garvin & Jim Duggan
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Semi Finals: Randy Savage & Magnum TA defeated the Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart)
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Finals: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated Randy Savage & Magnum TA
Debbie Combs defeated Donna Day
National Heavyweight Champion Ted Dibiase defeated Brett Sawyer
Jake Roberts (w/ Paul Ellering) defeated Mr. Wrestling #2
Tommy Rich & Buzz Sawyer defeated the Road Warriors (w/ Paul Ellering)

I miss ECW, but goddamn do I not miss ECW crowds when they are at their worst and lowest points. Racist chants of "More Fried Rice!" and "Hiroshima!", chants of "The ref's a fat fuck!" but the minute Tiger Mask and Sasuke start flying through the air they chant "ECW!"

It's like the wrestling equivalent of a white sports fan that constantly calls black people the N-word but then cheers when a black football player wins the game for their team.

18 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I miss ECW, but goddamn do I not miss ECW crowds when they are at their worst and lowest points. Racist chants of "More Fried Rice!" and "Hiroshima!", chants of "The ref's a fat fuck!" but the minute Tiger Mask and Sasuke start flying through the air they chant "ECW!"

It's like the wrestling equivalent of a white sports fan that constantly calls black people the N-word but then cheers when a black football player wins the game for their team.

That sounds a lot like European football.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:45 PM, paul sosnowski said:

Can anyone familiar with GCW possibly explain to me how one month after the Last Battle of Atlanta, that TOMMY RICH and BUZZ SAWYER were teaming together in the main event???    Is this when Sawyer turned because of his brother Brett Wayne?

GCW @ Atlanta, GA - Omni - November 24, 1983 (12,000)
Thanksgiving Day
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: King Kong Bundy & Jim Neidhart defeated Joe Lightfoot & Tommy Rogers
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated Randy Rose & Jim Randolph
Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: The Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Nikolai Volkoff & Korstia Korchenko
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Ron Garvin & Jim Duggan defeated Chic Donovan & Bob Brown
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Opening Round: Randy Savage & Magnum TA defeated the Mongolians
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Quarter Finals: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated King Kong Bundy & Jim Neidhart
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Quarter Finals: The Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Ron Garvin & Jim Duggan
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Semi Finals: Randy Savage & Magnum TA defeated the Bruise Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart)
$50,000 Tag Team Tournament Finals: Butch Reed & Pez Whatley defeated Randy Savage & Magnum TA
Debbie Combs defeated Donna Day
National Heavyweight Champion Ted Dibiase defeated Brett Sawyer
Jake Roberts (w/ Paul Ellering) defeated Mr. Wrestling #2
Tommy Rich & Buzz Sawyer defeated the Road Warriors (w/ Paul Ellering)

It's wrestling logic my friend. Once a worker turns face, then all is forgiven. Hell, Ole Anderson and Wahoo teamed up as did the Masked Superstar with Paul Jones & Wrestling II. 

1 hour ago, paul sosnowski said:

I understand that, but I am not extremely familiar with the history of GCW.   Can someone explain Buzz's face turn?   Like I said, i know it had something to do with his brother.   Did Tommy and Buzz make peace on TV?

This should pretty much explain it to you: