DVDVR Message Board

MISC MATCHES

DEAN

I posted this in the July discussion thread, maybe someone here would like to discuss it....

I just watched Shawn Michaels vs Jeff Jarrett for the first time in many years,took place 21 years ago (7/23/95).   I really was not thrilled with it.   It's never been very high on my top Shawn matches list.   Does it still hold up?   Meltzer rated it 4 1/2 **** at the time and was considered a MOTY candidate.     If you love this match, please explain to me about its greatness.    Shawn took some cool bumps, but that was about it for me...

2 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

I posted this in the July discussion thread, maybe someone here would like to discuss it....

I just watched Shawn Michaels vs Jeff Jarrett for the first time in many years,took place 21 years ago (7/23/95).   I really was not thrilled with it.   It's never been very high on my top Shawn matches list.   Does it still hold up?   Meltzer rated it 4 1/2 **** at the time and was considered a MOTY candidate.     If you love this match, please explain to me about its greatness.    Shawn took some cool bumps, but that was about it for me...

I haven't watched it some time, but I remember people gravitating towards it as a highlight of both guys runs because it was reminiscent of 70s/80s Memphis. 

Considering the original titles had only 3 different champions (4 if you count Desiree Peterson replacing a retired due to injury Princess Victoria) no - I hope they don't

I was aware that in '86 WWF initially brought in Polynesian wrestler Siva Afi as "Superfly Afi" (billed as "Snuka's cousin"), but had no idea that the grand debut of "Superfly Afi" was in Madison Square Garden before he had been on TV to educate folks about the gimmick.

So when the word "Suuuuuuuuuuuuperfly" tumbled out of Howard Finkel's mouth, the MSG crowd exploded thinking that Snuka had come back. What follows is one of the great trainwreck debuts in the history of WWE:

(1) The crowd exploding at the announcement of "Superfly" and drowning out the "Afi" part

(2) the crowd slowly coming to the realization that this isn't Snuka

(3) "We Want Snuka" chants as the match begins

(4) Crowd just going apathetically quiet as the match progresses 

(5) the crowd loudly booing as Afi goes to the top rope because he's not Snuka

(6) WWF's music department mistaking the "Shaft" theme as an appropriate entrance song for "Superfly".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...