DVDVR Message Board

MISC MATCHES

DEAN

I ordered a bunch of  early to mid '80s NJ TV tapes from JL about a decade ago. One night, Bob Backlund showed up on a random tape and had one of the most technical matches I've ever seen with Fujinami THAT GOT CUT OFF DUE TO TV TIME REMAINING. I was not impressed. I think they had a rematch later that is shown in full and probably rules. '84 New Japan rules though.

Sorry Phil, as best as we can tell, we had that before, albeit more clipped.

Speaking of things we had before, we had this before, just with worse VQ and without the entrances, but the entrances are awesome because Nick Bockwinkel comes out to the Stars Wars theme:

It's an awesome, awesome match. The sense of struggle is amazing and the upgraded VQ lets you really see the facial expressions from two of the all time best ever when it comes to that. The way both guys sell, both while in the holds and after they get out is so, so good. I don't think there was anyone better at selling throughout a match, especially when he took back over on offense, than Bockwinkel. 

• Like 1

Given the randomness of the Hansen/Blackwell team I think this is appropriate to post here. Segunda got to it first and I had to see it. Watch as a pissed-off Hansen slings the young boy off the apron trying to hold the ropes open for him by pulling the top rope... that's how the rest of the match goes. I'd rather have Jerry Blackwell's massive flab falling on me from the top rope than some of Stan's elbows and knees. Then, like an angry ghost, he wanders off into the night while Jerry continues to beat on Baba.

If you have a chance to watch Young Andre and don't take it, you done fucked up. Watch Andre bust out a Tombstone Piledriver. Watch Andre bust out a European uppercut that would take the head off of anyone he wanted it to. Watch Andre bump and stooge like the best of all heels. Oh man, that's a treat. The other guys are good too. 

• Like 2