DVDVR Message Board

TCM Summer Under the Stars

odessasteps

If you can DVR it or whatever, make sure you watch High Sierra and Treasure Over The Sierra Madre. Bogart is great in High Sierra, and his relationship with the girl with the bum leg is really refreshing. It seems very paint by numbers at first but it makes an interesting twist that drives the film home in the final act. Treasure Over The Sierra Madre is legit one of the best fucking movies ever. And it's an incredibly Bogart performance.

Steve McQueen's The Cincinnati Kid is kind of like The Hustler Redux w/ cards. The world they create is fun and the final game is rock solid. You also get Ann Margret, Tuesday Weld, Karl Malden and EDWARD G. MOTHER FAHKIN ROBINSON as your supporting cast. Hit that shit up.

Lana Turner's The Postman Always Rings Twice is rock solid and she's gorgeous. And of course I HIGHLY recommend The Three Muskateers which was my Movie Club pick on the old dead board. It's got Gene Kelly doing incredibly stunts and some fucking badass fights.

On Catherine Deneuve Night I recommend Belle de Jour. It's Bunuel and it has dream sequences and Catherine Deneuve. You really shouldn't need more of an excuse. The Hunger is a wacky one and is most notable because it has David Bowie as a vampire and Tony Scott Directing. So..you know...duh, watch that. 

For Gregory Peck check out Hitchcock's Spellbound. It features a mind bending dream sequence directed by Salvador Dali, that you should see.

If you haven't seen Rebel Without a Cause, check that on Natalie Wood day. It was supposed to be apart of these teen vagrant exploitation flicks from the 50's, but director Nicholas Ray directs a movie that's a lot more sympathetic. It also features, I think, the first gay teenager on film. Great cast and great direction. Check it out.

William Holden has two obvious ones in The Bridge Over the River Kwai and The Wild Bunch, so I'll recommend Executive Suite. A CEO of a company dies unexpectedly and the board scrambles to determine the new king. Features a lot of really great dialogue about the balance of American Value's like hardwork vs. Capitalism and Profit margins. Still timely and looks more like a tragedy now that we're so far removed from it and all the crap we churn out for people to buy. The final speech has some great lines in it. Watch it.

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof on Elizabeth Taylor day was a DVDVR Movie Club pick. It's good, but a little cut off at the knees because of censors. Paul Newman is tremendous in it. And of course you should watch Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? which besides being a great movie, struck a huge blow in the old film rating system. 

It Happened One Night for Clark Gable is a great date movie and also stars Claudette Colbert, who is a great old school star that doesn't get talked up enough. Gable is big pimpin as usual.

And clearly you should watch My Fair Lady on Rex Harrison day. He's extra bitchy in that one, and you know, AUDREY.

• 2 years later...

2016 schedule

Without further ado, here's who TCM is highlighting during Summer Under the Stars 2016 (US schedule):

August 1 - Edward G. Robinson
August 2 - Lucille Ball
August 3 - Bing Crosby
August 4 - Fay Wray
August 5 - Karl Malden
August 6 - Montgomery Clift
August 7 - Jean Harlow
August 8 - Esther Williams
August 9 - Tim Holt
August 10 - Hedy Lamarr
August 11 - Spencer Tracy
August 12 - Janet Gaynor
August 13 - Ralph Richardson
August 14 - Cyd Charisse
August 15 - Roddy McDowall
August 16 - Anne Baxter
August 17 - James Edwards
August 18 - Angie Dickinson
August 19 - Ruby Keeler
August 20 - Humphrey Bogart
August 21 - Bette Davis
August 22 - Robert Montgomery
August 23 - Brigitte Bardot
August 24 - Constance Cummings
August 25 - Van Johnson
August 26 - Boris Karloff
August 27 - James Garner
August 28 - Jean Arthur
August 29 - Charles Boyer
August 30 - Jean Simmons
August 31 - Dean Martin

• Like 1

Odessa is in heaven.  I seriously doubt that will be a film shown during this entire run that came out before 1980 unless they show Dragonslayer on Sir Ralph Richardson day or Dressed To Kill on Angie Dickenson day.

I'm actually looking forward to Boris Karloff day and they will obviously show King Kong uncut on Fay Wray day.

Just now, odessasteps said:

To be fair, Matt is a much bigger TCM mark than me.

We are doing a pre SutS pod i think. 

They always have a good line-up for Hitchcock's birthday.  That's usually when I binge on TCM.

I like SutS for the stuff ive never seen or maybe never even knew existed. Thats why im often disappointed in TCM day for, as an example, John Wayne. He's likely got dozens of films ive not seen, so i dont need showing the quiet man or the searchers or red river. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I like SutS for the stuff ive never seen or maybe never even knew existed. Thats why im often disappointed in TCM day for, as an example, John Wayne. He's likely got dozens of films ive not seen, so i dont need showing the quiet man or the searchers or red river. 

How many of those movies are in the TCM archives though and are the syndication rights for those movies even available?  There are lots of Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies I'd like to see on El Rey but quite a bit of the film library rights are still being negotiated.

I would think TCM has the WB and MGM film library at its disposal, if nothing else. And thats prob tens of thousands of movies, let alone other catalogs. 

TCM: pre code gangster flicks and musicals:: Vince: Mid-South/WCCW tv 

They are showing Mask of Fu Manchu on Boris Karloff day - 10:15 EST

If you haven't realized it yet - go to the TCM website and their monthly schedule. Select an August date and it will show what is being shown

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...