DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: GAIL KIM

RIPPA

When I was deciding on what female to pick to represent TNA week I realized Kim is probably the best representation since in TNA she is fucking awesome - elsewhere... not so much. Yes I could have gone with Kong but her body of work is so broad is it better to save her and while the original Beautiful People gimmick was awesome - not so much in the wrestling.

When I run the Best TNA Matches of All Time (after the finally fold) my ballot might be stuffed with that period when the women's division was fucking awesome

http://youtu.be/NPYGxRzO7uI

And one could argue this was the last great TNA match (or if you combine this and the ladder match together). As if I need another excuse to pimp them

I met Gail Kim and Christy Hemme at Motor City Comic-Con about seven ago during the JT Works At TACOM years.  Both ladies were both super nice.

Some dude named Mick Foley was there too.  He was also pretty awesome.

Gail didn't really like talking about her days in the indies but she loved talking about Joshi.  Since she was there repping TNA, she didn't talk much about her WWE gig, but she did clue us in that she'd be back in the WWE sooner than we thought.

She and my half native Hawai'ian homeboy, Doug, hit it off great.  I thought they were going to hook up, but Gail had another thing going on and she'd end up marrying Robert Irvine two or three years later.

Man, I often forget how good the Knockouts were when Gail and Kong were co-anchoring the division and having legitimately good matches against damn near everyone, and just tearing the house down when they got in the ring together.

• Like 2

Gail is awesome. I still contend one of the best Knockouts matches ever was Gail/ODB vs. Kong/Saeed (Melissa) at Lockdown. I was sad when she went back to the WWE cause I knew there was no way she would ever have any awesome matches like the ones with Kong.

It would be awesome to see her in a mentor type role on NXT. But, isn't her bridge still burned after she did the whole roll out of the ring spot in that battle royal on live television?

• Like 1

I barely even remember her return run. She's one of the few people who actually worked harder in TNA than they did in the WWE (man, that might be an interesting thread topic). Her and Kong was like this millennium's Sting and Vader; but, hey, actually, like Sting himself, she sometimes had mystifyingly pedestrian matches with opponents you'd think she could tear the house down with.  

Still, she probably deserves more credit than she tends to get.  She was the Misawa to Kong's Kawada, and she helped usher in an era where women's matches were more than just t&a (jesus, can you believe that they spent a DECADE using that terrible pun for a corporate title?).  Like Fowler said, there was a time where the Knockouts match would easily be the best match of the night.  

It would be awesome to see her in a mentor type role on NXT. But, isn't her bridge still burned after she did the whole roll out of the ring spot in that battle royal on live television?

This ain't Chyna we're talking about here (I guess hardcore porography is where the WWE draws the line, you'd think she would have at least had a recent cameo with the Outlaws being brought back).  Sable and Ultimate Warrior and Jesse Ventura, remember, there's really no such thing as a lifetime ban.