DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

Hey guys, the dictionary says we all lost the battle over "literally."

This universe blows.

This universe literally blows.
Space is a vacuum...so the universe actually sucks.

(Insert a Yo Mama joke here.)

To help get us back on track here, I do have a sincere question.

I fully admit I don't know shit when it comes to business finances, but would it be feasible for Spike to pick up some indy wrestling, maybe not so much as financing them, but as a way of help advertise these much smaller promotions?

Would you say you literally don't know shit when it comes to business?

• Like 1

He says Spike had already informed TNA that they would "low-ball" them on a new contract. Russo blames Spike's lack of promotion for many of TNA's ills.

He continues to blame Spike, saying TNA can't go to the next level without "the aid of a Network that TRULY takes interest."

"Dixie’s goal from the start should have been to go out to the open market and find TNA a prince charming that was going to come riding in on his white horse to save the day. Not, invest her time in being pulled down into the sea of mediocrity by the troll that lives under the bridge. YES—I’m talking SPIKE TV.

I hope I make that clear to everybody that—yes—I did OFFICIALLY just burn that SPIKE bridge."

Interestingly, Dixie was telling people the reason they were 'leaving' Spike was because they didn't promote them enough.

Obviously she was lying and they were kicked off, but her and Russo repeating the same point about Spike's promotion makes me think think they both do believe it. Is there anyone this duo won't blame for their own ineptness?

That's one thing I agree with them on. 90% of TNA's existence has been pretty terrible and Dixie is beyond incompetent but Spike did them no favors.

I disagree. I think Spike did very well by them.

They wanted two hours on Thursday? They got it.

They wanted to move to Mondays? They got it.

They wanted some money to bring in Sting and some other guys? They got it.

Spike also covered some of the road expenses for taking impact on the road, I believe.

And all this despite the fact the ratings stayed the same and the company really didn't do much to reward their faith at all.

That's one thing I agree with them on. 90% of TNA's existence has been pretty terrible and Dixie is beyond incompetent but Spike did them no favors.

I disagree. I think Spike did very well by them.

They wanted two hours on Thursday? They got it.

They wanted to move to Mondays? They got it.

They wanted some money to bring in Sting and some other guys? They got it.

Spike also covered some of the road expenses for taking impact on the road, I believe.

And all this despite the fact the ratings stayed the same and the company really didn't do much to reward their faith at all.

I don't know what people who say "Spike didn't promote TNA!" think they were supposed to do. Play commercials for iMPACT! during every single break?

They had periods of heavy promotion for special events where they had a spike in their viewing numbers but every time that happened those increased viewers left within 2-3 weeks. That's on TNA for not giving them anything they wanted to stick around for, not on Spike.

Why lose ad money promoting something all the time when it's been proven to be unable to grow it's audience after times of heavy promotion?

Anyone think Russo's conduct in the last few weeks has been pretty damn terrible? Even by is standards. I mean, he played a significant part of this company's demise and is now turning around and trying to profit from it.

And, idiotic as they were, at least TNA kept him employed and well paid for like eight years. They were loyal to him, to the point it's probably killed them. Really, shouldn't Russo be trying to keep a dignified silence instead of publicly trashing the TV channel TNA's is still apparently negotiating with?

His behavior over the email was hideous too, and arguably made it a bigger story that it should have been. Instead of saying to Johnson "Hey, bro. me and TNA could get in real trouble if it's confirmed I'm back so could you keep that email quiet" (which may have fixed the situation) he proceeds to...trash Johnson, trash his credibility and tell one obvious lie after another, which basically forced Johnson's hand.

Bad booker, and not much of a person either.

• Like 1

Probably because he was obnoxious to be around when they would come to TV or PPVs and frequently did things they asked him not to do, like man on woman violence.

I don't know that first part for a fact, but I can't see Russo being anything but obnoxious and dismissive to the "standards and practices" who just want to stifle his creative vision.

I know I just discovered this folder but it already feels like TNA dying is going to take just as long as it lived.  No need to drag this out, this shit ain't Aces & 8s. Skip to the end part when all the talent goes to Japan or fights Chris Hero in a hot dog eating contest.

• Like 1

People have been blaming Spike for years. It's been covered in this thread and others. Spike broke its back for TNA. TNA at first was on Saturdays, then moved to Thursday, given 2 hours, shown live, moved to Monday, etc. The Spike TV trope is something used by the TNA apologists who just can't admit that the product wasn't hot and people decided not to tune in. 1/4/10 and the Impact after BFG 10/10/10 shows that people know about TNA. The sold out UK shows and the U.S. PPVs that had over 5K in the crowd. 60K buyrate for Lockdown 2008, Billboard in Times Square, tons of celebrity interactment throughout the years, etc.  People knew/know about TNA. Spike is in 90 million homes. Outside of TNA Spike was drawing 4-6 million people with WWE Raw and UFC's TUF at one point had 6 million people watch an episode.

There are a million reasons why TNA is most likely going out of business- Spike is not one of those reasons.

• Like 1

What I don't is why would Spike hate Russo that much when, right or wrong, TNA had their highest consistent ratings when he was head of creative. Certainly higher than they are now.

Not true, when Russo fully took over during the second half of 2009, the ratings started to go down compare to the first half when he was not fully in charge.

People have been blaming Spike for years. It's been covered in this thread and others. Spike broke its back for TNA. TNA at first was on Saturdays, then moved to Thursday, given 2 hours, shown live, moved to Monday, etc. The Spike TV trope is something used by the TNA apologists who just can't admit that stuffing instead of potatoes wasn't hot and people decided not to tune in. 1/4/10 and the Impact after BFG 10/10/10 shows that people know about TNA. The sold out UK shows and the U.S. PPVs that had over 5K in the crowd. 60K buyrate for Lockdown 2008, Billboard in Times Square, tons of celebrity interactment throughout the years, etc.  People knew/know about TNA. Spike is in 90 million homes. Outside of TNA Spike was drawing 4-6 million people with WWE Raw and UFC's TUF at one point had 6 million people watch an episode.

There are a million reasons why TNA is most likely going out of business- Spike is not one of those reasons.

Spike probably figured that no matter how much money they put in to promote TNA, they're never going to move the needle past where they are now. 

The best thing is that if TNA does die due to Spike not renewing them Dixie Carter can tell us for the next 20 years that TNA was just about to take off if only Spike hadn't pulled the plug. It just needed a little more time. And I'm sure she will truly believe it.