DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

The Meltzer blurb was here that should have been edited when replying... especially for a one line post.

tl;dr - Jeff Jarrett is pro wrestling's only hope

Edited by RIPPA
Since people don't like to read

Reading that, and not really caring about TNA, what I see in there is the demographic/revenue reasons for Spike dumping TNA are the same as the reasons that WWE really has two choices in its future:

1) Make this network work and have some kind of shot at continuing to grow by self-distributing and somehow extracting $$$$ from your audience based on their numbers rather than their image among advertisers

2) stay on t.v. and essentially decide that what you are from 2003-2012 is what you're going to be forever.

That 2nd option, though, 0% growth, isn't really something you can go to stockholders with...and not something Vince McMahon's mind can accept.

So as tenuous as the network is, some form of self-carriage is essential.

So does Serg.

Far be it from me to comment on someone else's marriage, but if your wife had literally sacrificed her entire business, credibility and tens of millions of dollars to keep this one (talentless) guy around time after time, wouldn't the alarm bells start going off or something? At some point you'd be like "What the hell is going on with you and this guy? Get rid of him."

Serg needs to man up. I know that's not easy since his name is 'Serg' but still.

• Like 2

I think that right now, they're fine with staying on TV. While the hope is that The Network eventually becomes successful enough that it allows WWE to become totally self-sufficient, I don't think they believe that TV rights fees+Network Success have to be exclusive things. I would imagine that in a dream world, they continue to make ample money off their rights fees and The Network goes on to become a revenue source which eclipses PPV revenue and to a lesser extent, home video sales and gives them a last resort option in case the rights fees dry up as opposed to staying the same.

Reading that, and not really caring about TNA, what I see in there is the demographic/revenue reasons for Spike dumping TNA are the same as the reasons that WWE really has two choices in its future:

1) Make this network work and have some kind of shot at continuing to grow by self-distributing and somehow extracting $$$$ from your audience based on their numbers rather than their image among advertisers

2) stay on t.v. and essentially decide that what you are from 2003-2012 is what you're going to be forever.

That 2nd option, though, 0% growth, isn't really something you can go to stockholders with...and not something Vince McMahon's mind can accept.

3) Start another boom period and reap short-term growth leading to another round of serious spending on pro wrestling from the networks, which doesn't solve the problem in the long term, but which buys you some time and the ability to point to short-term explosive quarterly growth at each stockholders' meeting.

I don't know how likely that third one is based on how WWE tends to have hot-and-cold booking for most of its potential breakout stars.

Really, this is why they can't really give up on the Network. If advertisers haven't gotten over their stereotyped view of WWE viewers at this point, they are never going to get over it. The Network is the only way they can create growth other than lucking into the next Stone Cold. 

3) Start another boom period and reap short-term growth leading to another round of serious spending on pro wrestling from the networks, which doesn't solve the problem in the long term, but which buys you some time and the ability to point to short-term explosive quarterly growth at each stockholders' meeting.

I don't know how likely that third one is based on how WWE tends to have hot-and-cold booking for most of its potential breakout stars.

Really, this is why they can't really give up on the Network. If advertisers haven't gotten over their stereotyped view of WWE viewers at this point, they are never going to get over it. The Network is the only way they can create growth other than lucking into the next Stone Cold. 

Yeah, option 3 ain't happening. There's no catalyst for a boom period like there was in the 80's (WWE going national, cable TV expansion) or 90's (Monday Night Wars). I don't think lucking into another Stone Cold would even do the trick.

Why TNA continued to use Russo in creative when Spike made it clear they wanted no involvement with him is a question that nobody has come close to being able to answer.

"He has compromising pictures of Serg with barnyard animals" was obviously too embarrassing to admit over an email.

Or he has a polaroid of Dixie Carter sucking off a lamb. I have heard this from several reliable sources actually. She tried to suck off a horse once although it went wrong. That's how she got the lazy eye. 

You guys are sullying the good name of honestly blackmailed people. No incriminating pictures here. Russo is just a slimy kiss ass and Dixie is a very vain, very stupid person. The greatest money mark of our age.

I don't know about. I mean it's not her money.

I still would go with the kid who won the lottery and then funded Wrestlelicious

Hey, dude did what he wanted with his money.  At least he got lots of girls around.  What's TNA got?  Knux?

Also, he probably lost less on Wrestleicious than TNA has lost in like, the last couple of months.

I don't know about. I mean it's not her money.

I still would go with the kid who won the lottery and then funded Wrestlelicious

I would say that does make her the greatest money mark since it's not her money.

Or does that make her the tip of a pyramid scheme?

Did Dixie get an action figure?

Hilariously yes. I can't imagine the sorry sad state of the lonely soul who bought it, if any did. The figure is bull shit.  I saw a picture of it, the figure has 20/20 vision. What a crock. 

• Like 1

Hours earlier, Taz had written, “I unfollowed Russo earlier. He’s annoying and all about his brand. #Go Away.”

Talk about pot calling the kettel black.    

I used to have a friend who would often ask me if Taz was black.  Like I fuckin' knew!

• Like 1

Hours earlier, Taz had written, “I unfollowed Russo earlier. He’s annoying and all about his brand. #Go Away.”

Talk about pot calling the kettel black.    

I used to have a friend who would often ask me if Taz was black.  Like I fuckin' knew!

For the record....Taz is half black, half orange.  

• Like 18

By the way, I asked David McLane a while back about Vince Russo "meeting with him" - it was a phone call and it never got further than "I have an idea".  He ALSO tried it AGAIN when WOW was threatening to start back up last year, with the same response.

Even McLane wants nothing to do with him.