DVDVR Message Board

Newb Views the 80s

Newb82

Okay, a couple things. 

1. What about Reggie's granddad? C'mon, he didn't deserve to die. Nor Reggie (who didn't). 

2. I really have to know how Violet was supposed to die and why old nekkid girl was casted

3. You did not mention how incredibly gross and hilarious Junior and his mom are in this movie. It is additional bodies from actors camping it up in the most absolutely shite fashion a la the bikers in part 3 and holds the same awful charm. 

#1: Grandad was on screen for about 30 seconds. Completely forgot about him.

#2: Violet originally got split between her legs with the machete. Debbiesue Voorhees was cast because Marcy De Moss (who would later be in JASON LIVES) turned down a proposition from Steinmann and refused to show him her breasts.

#3: I include them in the "characters who act like they know that they're in a movie". Ethel is funny. Junior is almost Shelley-level annoying.

Part 6: Jason Lives

TL, DR: A direct response to the dark, cynical New Beginning, Jason Lives' light-heartedness, humor, references (long before they became the thing to do in slasher movies) and McLaughlin putting his own clear stamp while working well within the formula makes this easily the best one of the series.

• Like 1

On the other hand, I have soured on Jason Lives a lot as I've gotten older.  I used to consider it the best, but the last couple of times  popped it in, the jokes made me want to track down everyone involved in it and strangle them to death.

I could see that actually happening though. That the following movies didn't keep that thread shouldn't be a mark against this one.

Just like I don't hold FREDDY'S REVENGE being so different from the rest of those against it.

I get that they were backed into a corner with Part V.  Audiences made it clear they wanted Jason back, goddamnit, after that movie had practically made it impossible for Jason to come back.  So they ignore it.  I get that.

But...  Christ, that Bond rip-off opening... 

I haven't yet checked, but I assume you made the obligatory "Jason Takes Manhattan?  More like Jason Takes a Cruise, amIright?" joke, because, obligatory.

That said, the real problem with the movie is it's just so sanitary.  Almost no nudity, no real interesting gore, everything is lit too brightly...  It's a bright shiny exploitation flick where nobody and nothing is exploited.

(But that head punch kill is awesome in a really goofy way.)

Also, I assume the "the 80's" tag means you won't be torturing yourself with Jason Goes To Hell: The Final* Friday

*Note that A.) this is the second Friday movie to be sold as the "final" one and B.) There have been three more Jason movies since this one.  We should have filed a class-action for false advertising.