DVDVR Message Board

Newb Views the 80s

Newb82

Damn, I had no idea it knocked off Empire. That's flat-out insane. 

The reason the film still works (for me at least) is its unintentional atmosphere. The locations are so wet and dank that they are almost a character in and of themselves. That continued with the first sequel and after that was pretty much lost, though 4 had a bit of a shot at it (so did 6 but that was too comical in tone to work). 

It helps having grown up with the film and its sequels. I'm the same age as you and I can see millennials being bored, irritated, or just thinking it is MST3K material. 

Really paying attention to this while watching it (for once) it really struck me just how flat the direction was.

If you haven't read it, I can't recommend the CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES book highly enough.

Yeah I've heard it's awesome. Luckily I already have a ton of old Fangorias with all the Jasons and the Final Girls interviewed, so it's ground I'm pretty familiar with. I should still flip through it at Barnes and Noble though... would make a good X-mas gift too.

There's a digital version that's not as stylish as the hardcover, but it has more interviews, some artwork, and is a lot cheaper.

I would imagine those Fangoria interviews were fluff pieces. The book gives a better idea of how people really feel.

They were "looking back" pieces and everyone seemed fairly honest. The main girl in 3 absolutely hating her role and the film, etc. I'm sure the book is probably more honest and detailed though. There were also interviews with Miner and Manfredini for those too; Miner was pretty forthright about Paramount's disgust with the series and use of it as a cash cow. 

Hmmm... Dana Kimmel seemed ok with part 3 in the book. Paramount not giving a shit how good the movies are is a running theme throughout.

There is a 6 1/2 documentary version that gives the bare bones of the story, done by the same guys who did the infinitely superior NEVER SLEEP AGAIN which is a must view for NOES fans.

Yeah I've seen Never Sleep Again (incredible... still don't know how they didn't get Patricia Arquette though) and the awful His Name Is Jason. I'd rather read the book honestly.

I think the issue with Kimmel was she was religious and a total prude about the content.

Still my favorite in the series. The initial flashback to part 2, the insanely bad disco theme, henpecked Harold dying on the shitter, all the absurd 3D shots (popcorn popping, a yo-yo, random bats and sticks being pointed at the audience), the old man with the eye, the bikers~!, a fairly good end sequence, dream sequence with actual scary Jason and Mrs. Voorhees with her head still on! It's classic trash. 

EDIT: Note, don't get really plastered and try to watch it in 3D. That shit hurts.

Final Chapter has that fascinating performance by Crispin Glover and that absolutely nihilistic closing stretch, so it's pretty damn good by the standards of the franchise.

I think I beat my issues with 3D into the ground last year in the horror franchise thread.

Although, I must add, I'd like The New Blood a lot more if Tina's Zombie Dad didn't show up at the end for no fucking reason whatsoever.

Her telekinesis somehow resurrected him, lol. I worked at a theatre my HS school senior year that showed this. It was an old place that only showed one movie, had a balcony, it was awesome. New Blood opened huge and then no one came to see it. We'd get baked and sit in the balcony Rocky Horroring it.

Still my favorite in the series. The initial flashback to part 2, the insanely bad disco theme, henpecked Harold dying on the shitter, all the absurd 3D shots (popcorn popping, a yo-yo, random bats and sticks being pointed at the audience), the old man with the eye, the bikers~!, a fairly good end sequence, dream sequence with actual scary Jason and Mrs. Voorhees with her head still on! It's classic trash.

EDIT: Note, don't get really plastered and try to watch it in 3D. That shit hurts.

Don't forget one character passing a joint out to the audience. I can't imagine being in the audience for that.

Which is the F13 where Jason murders a pregnant woman?

Either 1) to show how vile the Jason is, 2) show the audience that no one's safe, esp. if the pregnant girl gets killed, or 3) to +1 the body count without having to pay another actor.