DVDVR Message Board

The 1970s... The Decade of my Youth

goodhelmet

Young folks don't realize that in the 70s, Leo Sayer was a bigger deal than Bowie/Lou Reed/Punk Rock/Neil Young all combined.  Which is why most of us were excited about the 80s.  Not that he didn't have songs were beautiful pop songs,

• Like 2

Heatwave was also waaaay bigger than most things from the 70s you hear about now though in retrospect they were quite the poor man's Earth Wind and Fire.

Shit, I wasn't born until '81, and Grease was still a huge part of my childhood (and, uh, adulthood...)

Anyway, since I didn't grow up in the 70's, I don't know what they "really" sounded like, but, to me, now, they sound like

John Lennon combing pop music with primal scream therapy

Or Paul McCartney and Wings being unfindable.

Or Bob Dylan explaining a decade worth of relationships in a single song

Or Led Zeppelin suddenly veering into folk rock 

Or Roy Harper jumping into the studio to help Pink Floyd give out the ultimate in rock cyncism

• Like 3

Didn't know too high was possible until this song

Favorite guitar player Gary Moore performing with Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy 1976

Joy Division- She's Lost Control like in 79. I wish I could pull of Ian Curtis' moves

First Earth WInd and Fire song that comes to mind is from their first album

• Like 2

Elton John was great on Soul Train. David Bowie did it as well around the same time and the interview portion was incredibly awkward. Which wasn't unusual for David Bowie in that time frame.

One more Bowie song. Life on Mars a song about the emptiness of living vicariously through entertainment

Al Green on Soul Train dressed as some kind of pimp/prostitute hybrid

Favorite band from the 70s Steely Dan

• Like 2

70s punk/power-pop is my favorite genre of music. GET PREPARED.

The greatest song ever written? Quite possibly. The music in the song has such an ethereal quality and matches the lyrics perfectly. And those lyrics? They have so many possible meanings -- A crazy relationship that reminds the lead singer of how he jumps around from love-to-love and is in over his head? A man confronting his heroin addiction? Both?

It's really hard to find Elvis Costello doing "Radio, Radio" on Saturday Night Live on YouTube, which is really perfect if you know the backstory. Elvis wanted to do this song, but Lorne Michaels wanted him to do something else. Elvis thought it was because of the song's criticisms of broadcasting. Lorne insists it was a formatting issue. Either way, Elvis Costello changing songs on the fly on national television is the most punk rock thing that has ever happened.

Bram Tchaikovsky wrote a bunch of really great songs. This one is his best. This is one of the all-time best power-pop nerd songs. Such an awesome hook and bridge and a transcendent chorus.
  • Like 2

Every rasslin' nerd should revere Giorgio Moroder because he wrote "The Chase" that became The Midnight Express theme song. I'm not a disco fan -- let alone Italian disco -- but this song rules and sounds at least a little bit like The Raspberries or along those lines.

This was the theme for the late, great Best Show on WFMU for a while and it's such a bad-ass song from one of the coolest band of the 70s.

RIP to the greatest band of the 70s. You guys changed my life.
  • Like 3

Didn't know too high was possible until this song

Favorite guitar player Gary Moore performing with Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy 1976

Joy Division- She's Lost Control like in 79. I wish I could pull of Ian Curtis' moves

First Earth WInd and Fire song that comes to mind is from their first album

Glad someone posted Sweet and Thin Lizzy since I can't be bothered to figure out how to embed videos. Throw on some Slade to go with the earlier Cheap Trick and I'll be set.