DVDVR Message Board

JULY! is the month of METAL DISCOVERY!

DEAN

I just got back on the downloading horse yesterday so here are a few things I got ahold of and may have not even listened to yet, but come recommended or half-heard. (EDIT: Jazzing these up with some info for those interested)

Absu/Aura Noir style black-thrash stuff. Will dig into it tomorrow. 

Disgusting, mostly mid-paced Danish death metal in a Rottrevore/Bolt Thrower vein. Sounds... wet. And like they might smell very bad. Song is not the best on the album, but still good.

Just the greatest death metal band of all time. Their new stuff. 

(^ that is Tom G. Warrior from Celtic Frost, DEAN)

And for a friend I got ahold of an old favorite I only had on tape for all these years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_i44AJrpo

It's not as good as Malleus Maleficarum but then, what is?

In Solitude - Sister: This is the best album that came out last year. This is the sound of a young band finding themselves. They've gone from King Diamond worship to something entirely their own. It's been out a year this October and I cannot get away from it. 

Tribulation - The Formulas of Death: The second best album that came out last year. This a demanding listen, as it combines D-Beat, black metal, and psychedelic guitar work stretched out over an hour's worth of music, with some songs reaching the ten minute mark. I saw these guys live in Detroit last year opening up for In Solitude and Watain. They stole the show, and their poofy Martin Eric Ain shirts were fucking awesome. 

Diocletian - Gesundrian: This album is totally fucking unreasonable. Relentless, pummeling war metal coming at ya from New Zealand. These guys killed it at Maryland Death Fest. 

Hmmm, Pallbearer is playing here in town soon, guess I'll have to go see 'em.

That Craven Idol I posted above turned out really good. It's nothing earth-shattering but is remarkably classy. Not as traditional as I expected, they have their own sound, which makes the Absu/Aura Noir comparisons true in that each are their OWN band beyond easy classification/influence-name-dropping. Which of course, is just about the highest compliment I can give a group. 

Been listening to the last Bible of the Devil album a lot but they are incredibly stingy about their songs being on Youtube so here's an old favorite of theirs. 

And I downloaded this tonight because I'd always wanted to get my hands on it but never got around to. They're playing MDF this year. I know there are some Gorguts fans on here so check out these Finns -- they were doing the tech shit when the only other band around doing it was Atheist (I'm sorry, I still don't consider Cynic 'death metal'). The vocals are... an acquired taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8u1gAwAdE