DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

So who do we take on next?

Whoever wins Group H - which will most likely be Belgium

It technically could be Algeria - but they have to beat Russia and Belgium would have to lose to South Korea this afternoon

And now we get another 3 or 4 days if the anti soccer people saying "THIS IS WHY SOCCER SUCKS WE ARE CELEBRATING A LOSS'.

it is what Bob Ley said.  it is a results oriented issue.  The purpose is to get to the quarters.  Besides if you are bitching about making the quarters by losing then never ever celebrate that your favorite team backs into the playoffs.

Now the hard part really begins.   Will be really lucky to get to the semis

I don't know if this is actually true because this in the internet and all but

This is supposedly the first time that (in a World Cup they were both in) the US has advanced further than England

I don't know if this is actually true because this in the internet and all but

This is supposedly the first time that (in a World Cup they were both in) the US has advanced further than England

I will verify it as true.  A key reason is because England failed to qualify in 1994 when the US made it to the knockout stage.

So...was that a "good" defensive performance by USA?  Because watching it seemed like the first 30 minutes or so they were giving German wingers so much space to set up and pick the crosses that it seems like just dumb luck they didn't score 2 or 3.

But then that stopped.  Either they put more pressure there or Germany let up.  Can anyone tell which it was?

So...was that a "good" defensive performance by USA?  Because watching it seemed like the first 30 minutes or so they were giving German wingers so much space to set up and pick the crosses that it seems like just dumb luck they didn't score 2 or 3.

But then that stopped.  Either they put more pressure there or Germany let up.  Can anyone tell which it was?

Germany didn't really HAVE any wingers. They were basically relying on the fullbacks for width. Howedes mostly didn't bother, but Boateng was getting forward a lot against Beasley early on because Brad Davis was useless defensively. When Klinsmann switched Zusi and Davis, it got tougher because Zusi actually defended.

I'd classify it as "good enough". We were far and away the inferior team on the pitch, but we mostly kept our heads and our shape. Germany had chances, but the only time they had a good second chance was the goal. We were helped by Germany's weird 4-3-3 play that ReiseReise has been complaining about. It meant we were overwhelmed in the midfield, but it wasn't conducive to really creating a lot of great chances.

That game. Result was good and the team seemed stabilized, but issues remain. With Klose up front for the second half, Germany were starting to create stuff more frequently. I love that guy, his effort is amazing. 36 years old, playing in tropical climate and as a striker he dashes back into the one penalty box in the 90th minute to try and block a shot attempt. Clone that man already. Not my kind of game to watch. There has been a severe lack of created chances from actual plays over the three matches, we do not have much variety when on attack for my liking. Hoewedes remains a horrible fullback and he will very likely be our downfall; he is out of position most of the time, he is slow and he doesn´t try to go on offense, which a fullback should do from time to time. And as a dude who is a big central defender, he should have been able to NOT loose every header against the US.

Anyway, congratulations to the US and all the US fans on the board, I think your team, overall, deserved to advance, although they got help from Ronaldo today. From what I´ve seen so far, I´m sure the USMNT can upset Belgium.