DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Bad day for Scandinavia. It took me ages to come to terms with Ronaldo and overlook his antics and bs, then he not only eliminates my second favourite team singlehandely in FIFA 13 pace rush fashion, he also pulls a "YOU ARE STAYING HERE!" gesture against a mostly fair opposition. I know we are a wrestling board and 90 % here are gonna be "AWESOME" and will be posting videos and shit, but in combination with all the sportsmanship conduct stuff going on I really want him to receive a one or two game ban for the finals.

• Like 2

9-3 Mexico on aggregate. For competitive balance, do the playoffs rotate? Because CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL would have given us Mexico/Uruguay this year, which is on par with Portugal/Sweden in terms of one big team missing out.

New Zealand/Jordan would have been competitive. But credit to the Kiwi fans who gave it their all tonight.

For 2014 - FIFA held a draw (at the start of qualification) to determine the match-ups which was the first time they did that.

One would assume they will do that going forward but this is FIFA we are talking about

Checked out the draw simulator. Did four draws and boy did the USA get hosed in each one:

1. Brazil, Ivory Coast, USA, England
  2. Uruguay, USA, Nigeria, Netherlands
  3. Spain, Ghana, USA, Netherlands
  4. Germany, USA, Chile, Italy.

Yikes! Here's hoping we draw something more our speed like Switzerland, Algeria, Bosnia or something like that...

I think its a virtual certainty that the US draw is going to brutal.

Most places are naming them the Top Team in Their Pot (I would think it is Japan but whatever) so basically every "Group of Death" scenario involves the US. (Though there are probably going to be multiple ones this year)

The "easiest" draw I have gotten so far is Colombia, US, France, Croatia

Of course - when I run the sim, it loves, LOVES, to put the US with Germany

Too lazy and involved with other things, therefore I just used the drawing simulator:

A: Brazil, Australia, Nigeria, Russia
B: Argentina, USA, Ivory Coast, Bosnia-Herzegovina
C: Uruguay, Korea Republic, France, Italy
D: Switzerland, Japan, Chile, Portugal
E: Germany, Mexico, Ecuador, England
F: Colombia, Iran, Ghana, Netherlands
G: Spain, Costa Rica, Cameroon, Croatia
H: Belgium, Honduras, Algeria, Greece

Seems plausible, ridiculously unbalanced as draws always are...

Oh BTW - technically only Pot 1 is confirmed.

FIFA could throw a curveball and do some other wacky pairing but the ones used in the simulator seem to be the consensus way the pots will be done.

France was put in Pot 3 since it was the lowest seeded UEFA team