DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Update from a friend of mine from another board on Europe status"

Some additions:
* Croatia hasn't qualified for the playoffs yet, they need to at least draw their last game as they have only 11 points for the playoffs race, and Armenia in group B will have 12 points with a -1 goal difference if they manage to finish second.
* Czech Republic is eliminated, even if they manage to finish second, in which case they will be the worst second places team with only 9 points.
* Denmark will have 10 points in second place and need both Turkey and Romania to lose their last game, Hungary to not win their last game, with Turkey losing by at least 5 goals to have them or Romania finish with a worse goal difference than Denmark.
* Bulgaria needs to win their last game to have any chance on the playoffs and (like Denmark) need Turkey and Romania both to lose, Hungary to not win their last game and have a 3 goal difference disadvantage compared to Turkey to overcome. They do have an alternative, with Iceland losing and Slovenia drawing, and Bulgaria still needing to overcome a 2-goal difference and goals scored disadvantage compared to Slovenia.
* Russia will go to the playoffs if they somehow choke the group victory.
* Both Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina will at least play the playoffs. (You listed Greece to play both Lithuania and Liechtenstein, but I figure you meant B-H plays Lithuania.)
* Both Spain and France will at least play the playoffs.

USA wins the group. Doesn't mean jack, as results elsewhere mean they won't get a top seed, so they'll be lumped in with everyone else (outside top seeds, it's only by geographic location, not by ranking)

So, T-2 hours 20 minutes till what could be the biggest loss in Mexico's history...

come on sing it with me,

PANAMA!!!!

A few minutes after Memo Ochoa does his best to let Panama back in, but an absolutely stunning goal via BICYCLE KICK to get Mexico three points and into the playoff spot vs. New Zealand.

Posted Image

That said, Mexico looked like dog shit. And that poacher Javier Hernandez should NEVER take a PK again.

Reminder that ESPN2 is doing a wrap around show (basically Red Zone) from 2:30 to either 5 or 5:30 (the listings are a little unclear) to cover all the matches today.

So far, England are 30 minutes away from going to the world cup, but it's a tenuous 1-0 lead over Poland.

Russia and Bosnia-Herzegovina have qualified. 

Iceland are in the playoffs. Turkey is out (Romania are in the playoffs)

Armenia is beating Italy.

Sweden and Germany have eight goals between them for the second time in this World Cup Qualifying campaign. First time it was 4-4, right now it's 5-3 Germany.

I finally found BEIN on my TV after finding the other two games.

I did enjoy that Jamaica/Honduras - in the game no one cares about - had both scored super early in the game.

HA! And Costa Rica takes the lead on Mexico!