DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Too many teams from North America get in. That's fucking unreal. Four teams?

Well to be fair - it's only a guaranteed 3 with the 4th being a playoff

That is the fewest amount of qualifiers (well again outside of Oceania which no longer has a guaranteed spot).

The distribution by confederation for the 2014 World Cup will be:

Europe (UEFA): 13 places
Africa (CAF): 5 places
Asia (AFC): 4 or 5 places
South America (CONMEBOL) 4 or 5 places (+ Brazil qualified automatically as host nation for a total of 5 or 6 places)
North, Central American and Caribbean (CONCACAF): 3 or 4 places
Oceania (OFC): 0 or 1 place

UEFA and CAF have a guaranteed number of places, whereas the number of qualifiers from other confederations is dependent on play-offs between AFC's fifth-placed team and CONMEBOL's fifth-placed team, and between CONCACAF's fourth-placed team and OFC's first-placed team. A draw determined the pairings between the four teams involved.

I love the running theme that within minutes of Dewar complaining - the US scoresCall Clint Dempsey ugly next

I'm going to call that fucking bellend ugly, stupid, shitty and every other possible bad word I can think of, or make up. Someone bet over 2.5 goals. That penalty "effort" totally fucked me. That man deserves the hardest kick to the junk you can imagine.
There's a theory going around that Clint shanked the PK on purpose to keep the Dos a Cero intact.

I love the running theme that within minutes of Dewar complaining - the US scoresCall Clint Dempsey ugly next

I'm going to call that fucking bellend ugly, stupid, shitty and every other possible bad word I can think of, or make up. Someone bet over 2.5 goals. That penalty "effort" totally fucked me. That man deserves the hardest kick to the junk you can imagine.
There's a theory going around that Clint shanked the PK on purpose to keep the Dos a Cero intact.

I still want to punt his marbles so hard they become earrings. Fuck that guy. I take better penalty shots than that one.

Also - Egypt, which is currently undefeated in qualifying, is in the "unseeded" pot of the African playoff qualifiers.

Seeded: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cape Verde Islands 

Unseeded: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Senegal, Ethiopia

God Bless wacky soccer

I'm going to call that fucking bellend ugly, stupid, shitty and every other possible bad word I can think of, or make up.

Someone bet over 2.5 goals. That penalty "effort" totally fucked me. That man deserves the hardest kick to the junk you can imagine.

It's hard to feel sorry for you betting on the over when you knew the final score was going to be 2-0 like it always is in Columbus.

• Like 1

I'm going to call that fucking bellend ugly, stupid, shitty and every other possible bad word I can think of, or make up.

Someone bet over 2.5 goals. That penalty "effort" totally fucked me. That man deserves the hardest kick to the junk you can imagine.

It's hard to feel sorry for you betting on the over when you knew the final score was going to be 2-0 like it always is in Columbus.

Match fixing!!!! Send that fuckgoof Clint Dempsey to Guantanamo!!!!!! Or worse, to Serie A.

Said African draw was held

Ivory Coast - Senegal

Tunisia - Cameroon

Egypt - Ghana

Nigeria - Ethiopia

Burkina Faso - Algeria

So yeah - THANKS FOR GOING UNDEFEATED BOB BRADLEY!!! HERE IS GHANA TO HAUNT YOUR DREAMS AGAIN

• 2 weeks later...

I know I know, I´m going to sound strange. But you guys - as footie fans - know that situation, where you have a feeling everything that could go wrong might actually just go wrong? Trap steps down which means Ireland will have a new coach (and possibly a new spirit in their squad, no wrestling-related pun intended), Gomez injured, Klose injured, no attacker Löw likes to use...I´m not liking the sound of that. A "Grand Finale" in Sweden is the last thing anyone should want. Anyone favouring the "Mannschaft" at least.

I agree that we have many midfielders who can score, just felt the need to utter concern. Don´t see Kießling happening, him being nominated is long overdue, he´s just not one of the guys Löw wants in the squad (which is weird, considering how many shots Gomez got, who is basically the same player).

He said that, but at the same time stated that he would of course join the team if asked. I guess it was more a conclusion he made than rejecting nominations. Apparently Löw and Kießling talked, but nobody really stated nothing yet. Nominations should be out later today, interesting to see if there will be any major changes from the expected nominees.

Edit: No Kießling, Kruse seemingly set to be lone striker to be nominated against Ireland and Sweden. Gündogan, Klose, Gomez and Podolski all out due to injury. Götze and Schweinsteiger return after missing the last qualifiers (both of them were injured).Germany´s squad trying accomplish qualification next week:GK - Neuer, Adler, ZielerDEF - Boateng, Höwedes, Hummels, Janssen, Lahm, MertesackerMID - Lars Bender, Sven Bender, Draxler, Götze, Khedira, Kroos, Thomas Müller, Özil, Reus, Sam, Schürrle, Schweinsteiger

ATT - Kruse

EVERY player nominated is younger than me. Depressing personal moment.

• Like 1

Said African draw was held

Ivory Coast - Senegal

Tunisia - Cameroon

Egypt - Ghana

Nigeria - Ethiopia

Burkina Faso - Algeria

So yeah - THANKS FOR GOING UNDEFEATED BOB BRADLEY!!! HERE IS GHANA TO HAUNT YOUR DREAMS AGAIN

The thought just occurred to me that I now live two blocks away from Little Egypt in Queens. YEAH, GO EGYPT! MAY YOUR RIOTING BE HAPPY!

Europe Breakdown: 

Group A: Settled: Belgium wins the Group, Croatia to the playoffs

Group B: Italy wins, one of four teams can finish 2nd (Bulgaria, Denmark, Czech Republic and Armenia). As it stands, second place in this group may not be enough, as Bulgaria is in last in the second placed teams table, and would miss out on playoffs)

Group C: Settled: Germany in, Sweden to playoffs

Group D: Netherlands wins, Turkey, Romania and Hungary can finish 2nd (Turkey is in the final playoff spot for second placed teams)

Group E: Switzerland wins, Iceland or Slovenia for 2nd place

Group F: Russia just needs a point to qualify, Portugal (who just dropped two points to Israel) needs Russia to lose to Azerbaijan (not likely), to win against Luxemborg (likely) and to make up seven goals difference

Group G: Bosnia and Greece are tied on 22 points entering the final game. Bosnia has the advantage in a +23 goal difference (compared to Greece's +5), so they just have to match the result of Greece to qualify (Greece v Lithuania, Greece v Lichenstein.. expect Greece to go all out there!)

Group H: England have guaranteed at least a playoff berth, but if they do not beat Poland, the Ukraine will probably knock them into the playoff (they face minnows San Marino)

Group I: Spain (who is just about to beat Belarus). just needs a point in their final qualifying game against Georgia to qualify, France need a Spain loss and to beat Finlkand

• Like 1

Good job on the breakdown. Glad we qualified and never were in REAL danger of messing up. Austria has to be heartbroken. Would love for Iceland to make it to the World Cup. They might have an actual shot, they are uncomfortale, especially when you play at their place in November.