DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Also this CONCACAF thing makes me embarrassed for you.

I know you stated you think there should be more European teams (or at least implied that) but I am just curious - what would your breakdown of spots be? Would you be taking away from CONCACAF or Africia or Asia?

Or is it basically just Euro qualification plus Brazil and Argentina?

What's to play for in the final game of Groups A-D

A:

Brazil: Advances with draw, wins group with a win of the same size or bigger as Mexico's (also wins some scenarios with Mexico having a bigger by 1 victory than Brazil's Victory)

Mexico: Advances with draw or win versus Croatia, wins group with a win, a Brazil draw or loss, or a Brazil win where mexico's margin of victory is two greater than Brazil's (some scenarios where Mexico's margin of victory is +1, Mexico Wins group). Advances with a loss IF Brazil loses by 2 more than Mexico does.

Croatia: Must win to advance, wins group with a win, and a Brazil draw or loss to Cameroon

Cameroon: Eliminated.

B:

Netherlands: Already clinched qualification,  wins group with a draw or victory over Chile

Chile: Already clinched qualification, wins group with a victory over Netherlands

Australia: Eliminated

Spain: Eliminated

C:

Colombia: Clinched qualification, wins group with a win or draw against Japan,

Ivory Coast: Advances with a win over Greece, advances with a draw IF Japan does not win by two against Colombia. Wins group if they beat greece, and Japan beats Colombia (with a combined differential of 4 goals)

Japan: Advances with a win over Colombia AND Ivory Coast loss (IF Greece blows out Ivory Coast, Japan could still miss out on GD), also may advance if they win by two or more against Colombia and Ivory Coast Draws

Greece:  Must win, and either Colombia beats or ties Japan, or if Japan wins, Greece blows out Colombia by 2-3 more than Japan wins 

D:

Costa Rica: Clinched qualification, wins group with a tie or win against England, could also win group if they lose and the winner of the Italy-Uruguay game does not make up goal differential.

Italy: Advances with a win or draw against Uruguay (on GD). Wins group if they win, Costa Rica loses, and Italy makes up the +3 GD advantage

Uruguay: Advances with a win over Italy. Wins group if they win, Costa Rica loses, and Uruguay makes up the +4 GD

England: Eliminated

I think he was pointing out that a bunch of Americans yelling "CONCACAF" whenever a team from the Confederation wins a game is ridiculous. Much like when college football fans start chanting their conference name instead of cheering for their own team when they win.

Also this CONCACAF thing makes me embarrassed for you.

I know you stated you think there should be more European teams (or at least implied that) but I am just curious - what would your breakdown of spots be? Would you be taking away from CONCACAF or Africia or Asia?

Or is it basically just Euro qualification plus Brazil and Argentina?

I'm happy with what we have. My point was what Dewar said

Except CONCACAF being regarded in the world as shit.  And we won the last Gold Cup, which is our Confederation tourny, and other teams in our fed are taking out the great and powerful Euro teams.  Makes us look better, and their improvment helps our improvement.

Except CONCACAF being regarded in the world as shit. And we won the last Gold Cup, which is our Confederation tourny, and other teams in our fed are taking out the great and powerful Euro teams. Makes us look better, and their improvment helps our improvement.

You're right Costa Rica playing well will make the standard of coaching in the United States way better.

Fair enough - part of the reason I asked is that I seem to recall you making a post several pages back about Zlatan not being in the WC and I probably misread it as a call for more UEFA teams

What amuses me with the CONCACAF thing is that a lot of people now have no problem including Mexico's success into it but 6 months ago they were all GOD DAMMIT! THEY WERE SO CLOSE TO NOT GOING!!! THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN GLORIOUS!!!

I have a hard time rooting for other CONCACAF teams just because they are the same region - I do really like Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago but I have specific reasons for that.

I would have included Canada in that too but the less said about that the better

Except CONCACAF being regarded in the world as shit. And we won the last Gold Cup, which is our Confederation tourny, and other teams in our fed are taking out the great and powerful Euro teams. Makes us look better, and their improvment helps our improvement.

You're right Costa Rica playing well will make the standard of coaching in the United States way better.

It'll make more WC Spots available (in theory) which would be good for the US.

And.. Haterz gonna hate.. and FSW gonna haterz everything :)

You aren't taking spots from Europe or South America. And the US will always qualify.

Country > Confederation > Minnow > Everyone else is the rooting order.

If I chose to follow the country of my "do no wrong player", I'd be cheering for the Neatherlands the whole time.

Also applicable toward FSW: Least my country qualified.

Well honestly - I think CONCACAF probably is earning the right to have 4 automatic spots instead of 3 and the right to play Oceania

Let like Algeria have to play New Zealand to qualify for once

Of course this will all be moot once FIFA expands again

You aren't taking spots from Europe or South America. And the US will always qualify.

"And Mexico will always qualify". If it wasn't for two US goals at the death of the final CONCACAF qualifying game, Mexico would NOT have qualified.

((Also, remember the panic when the USA looked to be in trouble in the CONCACAF SEMI-final qualifying round?))

FSW is from England. They just got eliminated today. I think that means they qualified for the event.

Your cheering chart is fucked too. Should read: Country > Ancestral Countries > Team I hate less > Fucking Greece

• Like 2

Canada's program is so bad. I'm 6 foot 3 and own a pair of work gloves so that probably makes me fifth choice Canadian goalkeeper.

Would still like to see us make a world cup before I die. Just make it. I don't care if like France beats us 5-0 once we get there.

Try being a scotland fan rippa...

one the one hand you've got the eternal depression from not being good enough to get out of the first round.

On the other - the english get gubbed, we're quite literally laughing.

FSW is from England. They just got eliminated today. I think that means they qualified for the event.

Your cheering chart is fucked too. Should read: Country > Ancestral Countries > Team I hate less > Fucking Greece

Ancestral Countries?  Damn, None but the US and Neatherlands qualified (that's right motherfucker, Native American, the rest of you GTFO!!!!)

Although Northern Ireland, Poland, and Hungary qualifying would be awesome.