DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

Same old story for England, I can't even get motivated to gloat this time.

The fuck I can't.

HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Bunch of deluded fannies.

Guest The Magnificent 7

There are a litany of reasons why England players continue to under perform in these tournaments. 

One I think, though, is kind of buried in a recent story that on the surface is totally unrelated but IMO says something about the English mentality.

Tom Ince not only felt it necessary to travel with his Dad to Italy to check out the facilities at Inter, he actually turned them down. 

To, it looks like, sign for Queens Park Rangers.  Read that horseshit again.

Forget what you think is the best league in the world is.  Only a rocket would decline a move to Inter to sign for QPR.  I don't care what the wages are, what your goofy Dad thinks, you sign immediately. 

This is a player who has represented England at all the youth levels.  And he's turning down a chance like this because I guess money and Best League in the World TM nonsense.  Does he not fucking like pasta? 

Paul Lambert went to Dortmund and came back with a CL medal and was three times the player after learning from those coaches over there, and playing a different way.  Robbie Keane, who had his faults, was a better player for his short stint at Inter.  John Collins went to Monaco and was a starter for one of the best 4 teams in the world at that time.  Kevin Keegan and Hamburg. 

Every single player on the England squad plays in the Prem, except for Fraser Forster who plays in the SPFL.  The style of football there isn't exactly vastly different. 

Yes, the Italian team and Spanish teams in the past have had squads full of players mostly playing in the domestic leagues.  But they usually have some past experience in other leagues.  France and Holland have a multitude of players with vast experience in other leagues. 

I think some of these young England players would benefit from some time in other leagues, learning their craft under some different coaching.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah which makes it even more strange.  I'm sure he has some old contacts there to help him transition.

Greece is the most infuriating international side to watch. They have some guys with skill, yet prefer to park the bus no matter who the opponent. How the fuck they manage to qualify for major tournaments boggles the mind.

This Greece/Japan game is almost fascinating in its futility.

Almost.

If Japan could hit the net it would have been over long ago, though.

It was interesting to see them completely give up on even trying to play their corner kicks in the air because they (presumably) knew they were too small to ever win a header against the bigger Greeks, thus getting them airborne = throwing them away.

Japan needs a couple 6'4'' gaijin ringers to play forward

This Greece/Japan game is almost fascinating in its futility.

Almost.

If Japan could hit the net it would have been over long ago, though.

It was interesting to see them completely give up on even trying to play their corner kicks in the air because they (presumably) knew they were too small to ever win a header against the bigger Greeks, thus getting them airborne = throwing them away.

Japan needs a couple 6'4'' gaijin ringers to play forward

They used 6'4" Japanese-Dutch striker Mike Havenaar who plays for Vitesse in the Eredivisie (he was born in Japan, father was a Dutch keeper playing in the J-League) a few times during qualifying and during the Confederations Cup to decent effect for that purpose, but he didn't make the final 23-man roster.  Not really sure why.  Here's a decent article about him: http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=2114719/

I'm not sure what the problem is. Guy got suspended twice for biting people. He deserves every rude comment he receives about it.

Some potentially good games today. Excited to see if Costa Rica looks as good aginst Italy as they did against Uruguay.

i really can´t say much about Japan vs Greece. I was sleeping and feeling quite groggy for a majority of the match, didn´t even realize Greece was one man down. I loved how Greece won the EURO 2004, despite the fact that they simply parked the bus and scored from set pieces. They were huge underdogs in that tournament and beat squads heavily favoured, they seemed to know about their limits and tried the best to perform within those. Unfortunately, their succes in that tournament made the tactic a cookie cutter formular for years to come and I don´t think it will ever change. They even still use some of the players from their big win at that tournament. Japan lacks so much in the strength department it´s not even funny, they have some real trouble with physical teams and it showed here from the parts I have seen.

Ticos vs Italy is quite fun, so far, Costa Rica looks quite threatening on corners and the like. Italy looks to repeat their wait-and-see approach from the first game.

EDIT: Balotelli already felt that old Queenie-lips on his cheek.