DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Hoilett thinks England might select him someday. LOL

Begovic cock-teased Canada too. Played for the under 20s, said he wanted to represent Canada as a full national, then three months later agreed to play for Bosnia.

Can't really blame any of them though. We can't beat anybody in men's soccer. Their options are to get a sex change and win with the women's team, or play for a country that's ranked in the top 80.

Spain are the fith team to get eliminated as the reigning champions in the World Cup.
They follow the footsteps of Italy (1950, had to google it, and it doesn´t really count because of WW II I guess), Brazil (1966), France (2002) and Italy (2006).

That Busquets-miss didn´t seal it, but it was really the final nail in the coffin.

Costa´s style - judging from the two games in this World Cup - doesn´t seem to fit in the system, but the team as the whole seems off. This is far far away from the Spain footie we grew used to over the last six years.

When I saw Atletico play, Costa seems like more of an ariel/long ball kind of guy. He's big he's strong, that's his style. I kind of agree Spain's short passing game isn't the best for him and he doesn't really seem settled with it. He's a different kind of player from, say, David Villa who always looked so good in this setup.

I can see why it pisses of Brazilians so much he went with Spain though. Costa would be the perfect compliment guy for Neymar to throw a bit of everything at people. Much better than Fred as a sidekick. A bit of the ole' thunder and lightning.

Should have called him up at some point in the previous five years?

Yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense why he was never called up as a regular striker for Brazil.  I would have to imagine he pissed off some coaches at some point to get snubbed so often.

A DYNASTY DIES blusters the idiot Nigel Reed

Spain National Under 21 Football Team

Yeah.

To be fair, Spain has been an U21-force since the 90ies, which took up until 2008 to translate into success on senior level. It is definetly the - temporary - end to Spanish dominance in international football.

Fair point but now more than ever youth is translating to quality in the senior team. Look at your own team post-2000.

A DYNASTY DIES blusters the idiot Nigel Reed

Spain National Under 21 Football Team

Yeah.

To be fair, Spain has been an U21-force since the 90ies, which took up until 2008 to translate into success on senior level. It is definetly the - temporary - end to Spanish dominance in international football.

Fair point but now more than ever youth is translating to quality in the senior team. Look at your own team post-2000.

That is true. For a very long time, it was good work in the youth teams if you could get 1 or 2 of the U-players to be key players in the senior squad, but the players on our roster, outside of I think Weidenfeller and Klose, have all been in one of the German youth squads. Spain will have a few good players on the verge of breaking into the national team.

Has anyone else some serious issues dealing with the Modric / Rakitic identity (okay, hairdo, I know) swap? That´s some mission impossible shit right there.

EDIT: With rage fueled Brazilians in front of a home crowd I can see Neymar winning the Golden Boot by scoring infinite goals against Cameroon. That defending is shocking!

Guest The Magnificent 7

Costa´s style - judging from the two games in this World Cup - doesn´t seem to fit in the system, but the team as the whole seems off. This is far far away from the Spain footie we grew used to over the last six years.

When I saw Atletico play, Costa seems like more of an ariel/long ball kind of guy. He's big he's strong, that's his style. I kind of agree Spain's short passing game isn't the best for him and he doesn't really seem settled with it. He's a different kind of player from, say, David Villa who always looked so good in this setup.

I can see why it pisses of Brazilians so much he went with Spain though. Costa would be the perfect compliment guy for Neymar to throw a bit of everything at people. Much better than Fred as a sidekick. A bit of the ole' thunder and lightning.

Should have called him up at some point in the previous five years?

Yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense why he was never called up as a regular striker for Brazil.  I would have to imagine he pissed off some coaches at some point to get snubbed so often.

The guy's an arsehole so that wouldn't be surprising.  He's the only guy that can make you cheer for Pepe.  Spitting in his hand and throwing it in Ramos and Pepe's face and the like.  He's a rocket.  Will fit right in at Chelsea. 

I've been out all day, I knew I would be gone today already. Saw the first 30 minutes of the 1st half while I was out eating at a burger joint today, so I saw Chile's first goal and knew right there, it was over. The body language and everything from the start just, it was over. I was not surprised when I got home and saw the score. I will watch the match later but yeah, it is a little sad I won't lie, but it also was very expected. Ever since that Confederations Cup final last year I felt like that was the end of the run so this really is not a total surprise. Maybe that it has been such a complete collapse is a surprise but not the losses. Did Villa ever come on? I guess I'll find out when I watch but I was wondering why Villa wasn't out there to start the match. Ah well, it has come to pass and all is alright. 

I avoided spoilers all day, just like the guy in the commercial on Univision.  I'm literally walking through my kitchen to the t.v. and my wife has NPR OF ALL FUCKING THINGS ON and I hear:

"BOM BAM BERRR BERRR

BONG BING BER BERRRRRRRRR

Tonight on All thing's considered HUGE NEWS FROM THE WORLD CU....

My hand hit the power button right there, but it was too late.  I already knew Netherlands didn't lose and Melissa Block's voice was way too cheery for it to be a collapsed stadium or Clint Dempsey accidentally biting off his own toe...so I knew...

I knew...

was still fun to watch though.

By the way this entire story will be read dryly by Andre Codrescu tomorrow afternoon, so listen for that.

Eventful day yesterday with a stunning goal by Tim Cahill, Iker Casillas making more mistakes and Spain, the defending World and European champions don't get out of the group stages. Robbie Savage's reaction to THAT goal is worth seeking out.