DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

It's too bad I don't have an English accent, I could have Nigel Reed's job. That guy is the definition of a shitbum, and for some reason the #1 qualifier to get a soccer announcer/analyst job in Canada is "speaks with an English accent".

• Like 2

Costa´s style - judging from the two games in this World Cup - doesn´t seem to fit in the system, but the team as the whole seems off. This is far far away from the Spain footie we grew used to over the last six years.

When I saw Atletico play, Costa seems like more of an ariel/long ball kind of guy. He's big he's strong, that's his style. I kind of agree Spain's short passing game isn't the best for him and he doesn't really seem settled with it. He's a different kind of player from, say, David Villa who always looked so good in this setup.

I can see why it pisses of Brazilians so much he went with Spain though. Costa would be the perfect compliment guy for Neymar to throw a bit of everything at people. Much better than Fred as a sidekick. A bit of the ole' thunder and lightning.

• Like 1

Costa´s style - judging from the two games in this World Cup - doesn´t seem to fit in the system, but the team as the whole seems off. This is far far away from the Spain footie we grew used to over the last six years.

When I saw Atletico play, Costa seems like more of an ariel/long ball kind of guy. He's big he's strong, that's his style. I kind of agree Spain's short passing game isn't the best for him and he doesn't really seem settled with it. He's a different kind of player from, say, David Villa who always looked so good in this setup.

I can see why it pisses of Brazilians so much he went with Spain though. Costa would be the perfect compliment guy for Neymar to throw a bit of everything at people. Much better than Fred as a sidekick. A bit of the ole' thunder and lightning.

Should have called him up at some point in the previous five years?

Well yeah a lot of those "GRRR WHY'D HE SIDE WITH THEM" arguments derail pretty fast.

Like Canada with De Guzman who's now playing for Holland. We had a chance (probably several) to call him in for one game. Then he's ours for life.

But noooooooooooo we wouldn't want to do that. Begovic too.

It's too bad I don't have an English accent, I could have Nigel Reed's job. That guy is the definition of a shitbum, and for some reason the #1 qualifier to get a soccer announcer/analyst job in Canada is "speaks with an English accent".

I HAVE AN ENGLISH ACCENT

You mixed it in with Calgarian though. Plus, Canada's got enough Liverpool fans working as analysts anyway.

De Guzman turned down Canada repeatedly. He even claimed once he wanted to play with his brother for Canada, then turned them down in hopes Holland would eventually select him.

Ah maybe it was Begovic we just skipped over then. Nigel Reed was talking about this in one of the pregame shows but I half tune him out.

I know with Junior Hoilett we've tried to call him up and he's all "no, thanks guys, but no". Hard to keep them all straight.