DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Bottom line, he shouldn't have said it the way he did but I don't really care about it myself. However, it's his job to get this squad out of the group stage. Anything less than that is going to be looked at as a failure and it should be.

Have you not seen their group? There's really no shame in finishing fourth in that group. Unless you're Germany. Or Portugal. Or maybe Ghana.

I've seen the group. I didn't say it will be easy but they CAN beat Ghana and they CAN find a way to get another point out of Germany/Portugal. To act like it's over before it's even started is crazy..

I guess we could be England. Super powerhouse without the results. :)

I've thoroughly liked the World Cup so far but been unimpressed with the BBC and the ITV coverage. They have a shitload of dudes paid to speak but who say fuck all. I mean, Jesus, Kevin Kilbane/Martin Keown/Andy Townsend/Clarke Carlisle as your co-commentators? All of them together don't add up to a single personality.

Hey now, Townsend at least has a clearly defined personality, that of hyperbolic dickhead.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

Messi's goal was class.  His mastery of the ball with that speed, no matter how long you've been watching him, still beggars belief. 

I'm still trying to puzzle out who between Sweden, Denmark, the Czechs, and Poland are enthusiastic fouling types, though.  If I had to guess like it was a quiz show or something I would guess the Czechs were being referred to, but I can't be sure.  I've never really thought of the Czechs as a dirty side.  It can't be the other three. 

Jan Koller had a bald head and was quite large, that has to be coloring people's views in their mind's eye of the Czechs through the years.

Unless Nigeria were just foolin' in there pre-tournament friendlies, I'd have to back Bosnia & Herzegovina to get out of that group based on what we saw today. Looked good for stretches. Should be able to put up some results.

I'm just assuming Iran doesn't have some dream team I know nothing about which given how this tournament has been so far couldn't backfire at all.

Bottom line, he shouldn't have said it the way he did but I don't really care about it myself. However, it's his job to get this squad out of the group stage. Anything less than that is going to be looked at as a failure and it should be.

Have you not seen their group? There's really no shame in finishing fourth in that group. Unless you're Germany. Or Portugal. Or maybe Ghana.

I've seen the group. I didn't say it will be easy but they CAN beat Ghana and they CAN find a way to get another point out of Germany/Portugal. To act like it's over before it's even started is crazy..

Yeah?

The BBC counter this with MARK LAWRENSON, everybody loses.

Lawrenson has his uses to be fair, you can get shitfaced taking a shot every time he say 'moe-ment' for instance. Even if his personality is moaning twat too, at least it's something more than Townsend offers. I still find that staggering, there's a billion and three ex-footballers out there and yet somehow Andy Townsend got that gig.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Bottom line, he shouldn't have said it the way he did but I don't really care about it myself. However, it's his job to get this squad out of the group stage. Anything less than that is going to be looked at as a failure and it should be.

Yeah?

Yeah actually.  The USA does hype and marketing very well.  In 20 years time and stacks of marketing cash maybe the U.S. can convince the world it has the best league in the world, but also hide the fact that it's because of all them foreign players.  Then they take the national side to tournaments, run down the host countries facilities, conditions, and whatnot and lose spectacularly to actual good teams, and the blueprint has been enacted.  Thanks England.

Unless Nigeria were just foolin' in there pre-tournament friendlies, I'd have to back Bosnia & Herzegovina to get out of that group based on what we saw today. Looked good for stretches. Should be able to put up some results.

I'm just assuming Iran doesn't have some dream team I know nothing about which given how this tournament has been so far couldn't backfire at all.

From what I've read, I had thought Iran were going to be jobbers in that group but they're not as bad as I'd heard. I know Queiroz is their manager and they're supposed to be quick and technical and whatnot...I mean, shit, way this World Cup has gone so far, they could win the whole goddamn thing. 

Ok, probably not but probably still more so than England.

Yeah actually.  The USA does hype and marketing very well.  In 20 years time and stacks of marketing cash maybe the U.S. can convince the world it has the best league in the world, but also hide the fact that it's because of all them foreign players.  Then they take the national side to tournaments, run down the host countries facilities, conditions, and whatnot and lose spectacularly to actual good teams, and the blueprint has been enacted.  Thanks England.

Haha, I realize you're just havin' a shout here (a funny and accurate one), but I think the biggest problem for the MLS is getting top stars to ever abandon the European Champion's League now. There's so much money in that for the top Euro clubs, so it could throw a wrench in any US plans like this.

Stranger things have happened I guess. I mean I thought Beckham in America would turn into a sports Spinal Tap movie, but it had the desired effect of the media here going from ignoring MLS entirely to treating it like a legitimate competition. That's not all Beckham of course, but he was a huge catalyst.

Yeah?

Yeah actually. The USA does hype and marketing very well. In 20 years time and stacks of marketing cash maybe the U.S. can convince the world it has the best league in the world, but also hide the fact that it's because of all them foreign players. Then they take the national side to tournaments, run down the host countries facilities, conditions, and whatnot and lose spectacularly to actual good teams, and the blueprint has been enacted. Thanks England.
No disrespect or anything.

But you're a CELTIC fan. You stopped being relevant when the big boys down the road stopped existing. Everything Celtic do now is fraudulent and worthless.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah?
Yeah actually. The USA does hype and marketing very well. In 20 years time and stacks of marketing cash maybe the U.S. can convince the world it has the best league in the world, but also hide the fact that it's because of all them foreign players. Then they take the national side to tournaments, run down the host countries facilities, conditions, and whatnot and lose spectacularly to actual good teams, and the blueprint has been enacted. Thanks England.
No disrespect or anything.

But you're a CELTIC fan. You stopped being relevant when the big boys down the road stopped existing. Everything Celtic do now is fraudulent and worthless.

Troller just got trolled.  All you FSW haters, read this and weep. He MAD

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'd be happy with the free six points.

Dammit, Liverpool and Celtic are supposed to be in love with each other, why can't we all just get along?

I mean, shit:

You're right.  Thanks for posting that.  It reminds me of the class that these two fine clubs have and I actually like Liv...oh, wait, hold on a second...

John Hartson just scored.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Stop living in the past pal

You're right.  We'll have a Hoveround ready for Stevie G at Celtic Park.  Does he like the grocery cages on the front?

Messi´s goal was class, but it was the only display of class the Argentines made within the 90 minutes. Okay, that and a really well done DiMaria-Rabona-pass. Bosnia looked really good up at certain times, until they got close to the box. Those crosses were horrible, especially considering they had Dzéko and later on Ibisevic up front, both who are good at the heading game.
I don´t think Sabella´s tactics of having his front three staying at the midway line when the opposition attacks is going to work with teams who will be more threatening up front to be honest. Both teams had incredible turnovers, something you just shouldn´t have at that stage of competition. Messi was loosing the ball on numerous occasions by passing it straight into some Bosnian´s legs, while I saw Bosnian players turn around and passing the ball back to Argentines three or four times. On a better day, they might have lost by a higher margin just because of those passes.
Since the result is what matters at the start of your campaign, I can imagine Messi & co. being okay with their game.

So, our tournament is finally starting aswell. Been worried more and more over the days to be honest. Hope I will get proven wrong and that the team puts up a good performance, but we have some certain issues. The false nine system is - in theory - very fitting for our squad, but somehow whenever we played with that we sucked horribly at it. Boateng and Hoewedes will be our fullbacks which is an insane weakpoint and I can totally see us getting wrecked on the wings. Apparently it will be Mueller, Oezil and Podolski up front. That would make Oezil the false nine, whom I can´t see getting past his former teammate Pepe. Our system looks kind of weird in general, it seems we are going to play Lahm as a defensive mid right in front of the defensive line, then Khedira (who is defensive mid aswell) and Kroos (who has recently played on the same position Lahm and Khedira are at right now).

I have a really bad feeling it is going to suck being a German footie fan today.

Additional EDIT: Today´s match marks the 100th World Cup game for a German national squad. Happy Gameversary I´d guess.