DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

It's just knowing your audience is all.  Even if American fans believe the same thing you don't want to hear it.  Don't complain if you accepted the job. Klinsmann has resided in the U.S. long enough that he should know America isn't full of beta males like Canada is. 

Oh, I forgot he lives in California.  My bad.  He wouldn't know that.

:P

The thing about the comment is that it came amidst the kerfuffle over Donovan not being picked, so it kind of played into a narrative of "Klinsmann isn't even trying to win, he's trying to pick people who will be ready in 2018." Klinsmann has said that isn't the case, that he didn't feel Donovan was a good choice.

• Like 1

RE: the CONCACAF hubris earlier in this thread, it sure is a good thing we've got a team of constantly-fouling shitheads like Honduras in the World Cup instead of the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, or Poland.

• Like 1

RE: the CONCACAF hubris earlier in this thread, it sure is a good thing we've got a team of constantly-fouling shitheads like Honduras in the World Cup instead of the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, or Poland.

One of the European teams you just listed are constantly fouling shitheads.

We're not as bad as Canada, (in basically every way that doesn't involve hockey and eating moose,) but the problem isn't a matter of years, it's systemic. There's just not enough money in producing young soccer stars, so we let the high school and collegiate athletics programs take care of it, and your average high school soccer coach is a P.E. teacher who is waiting for his chance to coach the football team. The thing is, I don't see that changing any time soon. The USSF is a cipher for MLS owners who just want to make money, not put money back into the game.

In the meantime, we'll still be good enough to be a big fish in the small pond which is CONCACAF, and we're scrappy enough that we'll bust out the odd upset to keep fans certain that growth is just around the cowner.

• Like 1

To be fair, my visual perception told me that something was awry with the picture. It seemed to me the ball wasn´t as far over the line (as in: less than one full rotation) in the picture as it was in that white on blue animation. I´m sure it is some of those things with perspective, though. It probably was over.

EDIT: Hard to believe Honduras only had one guy sent off, the level of kicking is incredible. It just seems so wild and uncontrolled..

I actually think, as unwieldy as it will be, they are going to seriously consider adding 8 more teams and have 5 per group sooner or later. You know FIFA's tempted. Something along the lines of:

Three more Europe spots.

One more South American

One more African

One more Asian/CONCACAF playoff

One Guaranteed Oceana spot

One other playoff spot, Europe vs. (someone)

Tournament will go on for ever, but they'll do it anyway.

I actually think, as unwieldy as it will be, they are going to seriously consider adding 8 more teams and have 5 per group sooner or later. You know FIFA's tempted. Something along the lines of:

Three more Europe spots.

One more South American

One more African

One more Asian/CONCACAF playoff

One Guaranteed Oceana spot

One other playoff spot, Europe vs. (someone)

Tournament will go on for ever, but they'll do it anyway.

Entirely possible, but damn, that would suck...

The 24 team Euro is bad enough. Half the confederation at the tournament. =\

• Like 1

Does France have worst collection of haircuts of any team so far?

As French, I'm quite shameful of our current display. For sure griezman and debuchy are high on sth. Pogba, digne and giroud are tolerable. Thankfull, benzema didn't keep his haircut from the start of the season and menez has not been called.

They mentioned that Patrice Evra has had problems with the French National squad.  What did he do?

He was the captain in 2010 when the whole squad went on strike during the WC... Since then he has a bittersweet relatioship with medias (calling them hobo, and getting very personnal in his insult to former playerrs that are now doing game analysis)

So, yeah, the Americans will be lucky to finish 4th in that group. 

Pearce was his usual shit on a stick during the France match, trying desperately to create a controversy over the goal and the goal line technology where there wasn't a controversy to be had. The 1st one hit the post and didn't go over the line, then it hit the keeper and went over the line. It wasn't difficult, you knob cheese. Go back to Robot Wars.

I've thoroughly liked the World Cup so far but been unimpressed with the BBC and the ITV coverage. They have a shitload of dudes paid to speak but who say fuck all. I mean, Jesus, Kevin Kilbane/Martin Keown/Andy Townsend/Clarke Carlisle as your co-commentators? All of them together don't add up to a single personality.

Messi is the Goddamn strangest thing, guy is a genius then it doesn't happen for him at World Cups. 

Watch him score a hat trick now.

EDIT - Yep, he scored.

• Like 2