DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

My personal oddest World Cup experience:
I fell asleep at around the 50th minute with Ivory Coast looking like shit, Japan being up by a goal and sitting back not doing much while basically controlling the game.

I woke up around the 70th minute with Japan looking like shit, Ivory Coast being up by one goal and sitting back not doing much while basically controlling the game.

That Honda goal was awesome, aswell as Drogba going into more 1-on-1´s in half an hour than any other Ivory Coast player. I really can´t see Ivory Coast going out in that group after defeating Japan, but who knows if Greece have bounce-back qualities like they had in the 2012 Euros. There was such a huge difference between Ivory Coast with Drogba and Ivory Coast without Drogba, if they indeed play him in the other two matches they will be incredibly hard to handle. The Japanese site looked like they should progress in the first half, they seemed to have the potential to go far. Great combinations of quick passing, good ideas and dribbling, threatening finishing abilities and a really good physical game, aswell in the speed as in the strength department. In the last  twenty minutes I saw they looked as if they didn´t even belong in the Cup, they seemed unable to do anything and a lot of heads dropped down. Maybe they just overpaced and ran out of steam, but that was such a shocking drop in quality.

On a personal note, I´m very happy to never watch a footie match around 3 in the morning again, and never shall I watch four soccer matches in succession within 11 hours. I love footie, but that was way too much.

It's something that everyone realizes but over here we do not like anything that is perceived as weak. We like Any Given Sunday speeches. It's looked at as a defeatist attitude. And really, the team has enough talent to get out of the group so we should have expectations and Klinsmann should be held accountable if they stink up Brazil.

Any US-boys supporters...is it true that Klinsmann saying the title is unrealistic caused a big commotion in social network and media? And if so, is your sports media really that delusional?!

AMERICA NOT WEAK AMERICA STRONG SMASH THINGS

That's basically what this boils down to, at heart.

• Like 3

People were upset with the "We cannot win this World Cup" statement. Reasonable people understand that we have very very low chances of winning and low chances of advancing past the group. But to definitively say that we cannot win, when in 2002 the USA outplayed Germany in the quarterfinal were Torsten Frings uncalled handball away from tying, is a bit upsetting especially from the manager. I don't think this would be a big deal of he had said it would be improbable to win this World Cup. Of course then there's some people who are just upset that he's not showing the "never give up, anything is possible" coach mentality and that he is instilling a loosers mentality onto the team which is unreasonable.

I wanted to ask the Americans on this board how they felt about the World Cup before the tournament and it's been pretty well summed up for me there.

That German has a defeatist attitude! He doesn't have the American will to win the World Cup.

Do they know who Jurgen Klinsmann is?

• Like 1

Missed the first half here. Ecuador leading eh?

This appears to be the world cup that makes the case that whatever gap there is between most of the teams, it's the thinnest stuff now. Obviously with a small number of exceptions.

... And Switzerland score almost right off the bat in the second half. Okay, cool.

Maybe it´s just that I have different perceptions. It´s incredibly, incredibly hard to win a World Cup, even when you are Spain, Brazil, Germany or the like. It would have been smarter to say "Our goal is to make it past the group stage". Winning and doing well are two different things. What he said was what any credible coach would have said. EDIT: Any credible coach in football and in his situation I should add.

Switzerland look really dodgy in the first half and took only the blink of an eye to get the equalizer in the second. I feel stupid for taking too long to switch back to the game.
EDIT 2: Odd, a half of laughable set pieces and now the Swiss equalizer came from a corner. Whatever Hitzfeld told his team, it worked.

If his name was Joe Smith from Nebraska this is never a thing.

It's like when Klitchko retired on his stool in a boxing match in the US that one time years ago and a bunch of nationalist blowhards were all SEE DEM YUROPEANS ARE SOFT.

Sure he could have phrased it differently, I guess. It's not as if people don't blatantly lie to the sports media and have it accepted as truth every day. So it would have passed inspection if he had.

Bottom line, he shouldn't have said it the way he did but I don't really care about it myself. However, it's his job to get this squad out of the group stage. Anything less than that is going to be looked at as a failure and it should be.

Have you not seen their group? There's really no shame in finishing fourth in that group. Unless you're Germany. Or Portugal. Or maybe Ghana.

• Like 5