DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

The 'Bra-zil Bra-zil' song they're using on ITV's coverage got annoying 4 days ago and the World Cup wasn't even on 4 days ago.

I know he's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro and all but he's offering fuck all squared to ITV's coverage as well and the less said about the embarrassment that is Ian Wright the better too. Could do with begging Roy Keane to make a dramatic run-in to save their coverage. Not that the BBC is much better, I've never seen a guy who says so many words but says so very little the way Shearer does. That guy is dogshit.

Draw between the Mexicans and the Colombians for best fans so far.

Edit - When I type something, someone scores...Italy 1-0.

Then I edit this and the English score.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Good 1st half.  Forster would have saved the first goal. 

Cool finish by Sturridge.  Italy the better side, would have loved that Balotelli chip to fall in there, but for Jagielka aware and reading it nicely. 

This was a quite entertaining half! Very good performance by England and I would have said they deserved more, but Italy´s final three minutes of the half were outrageous with two great chances so I would say all in all draw should be okay.

FSW, I guess you might be right. They looked good during the last two years, though, and I´d still say the loss to Costa Rica is sensational. We don´t get the huge underdog surprises in World Cups anymore. The sensations in 2010 were the Swiss beating Spain (Swiss are a historic footballing nation who actually often make it out of the group stages if they qualifiy for World Cups) or the Netherlands beating Brazil (how that was a sensation I don´t know). Of course Costa Rica has good players and of course some more qualified expert than me knew about that before the match, but I´d say the win is comparable to Bulgaria beating Germany in 1994 t ex.

Well, England vs Uruguay is gonna be absolutely massive now. If we can beat them and then beat Costa Rica in the last game, then hopefully we'll sneak through second.

Raheem Sterling was man of the match for me, but once again Pirlo pulled the strings.

You get the feeling that if Pirlo, Marchisio, and Balotelli could play in some 3 on 3 thing it would be sheer terror.

Bring back that tournament on the boat from the Nike 2006 ads.

That was actually 02.  06 was Jose vs Fat Kid Fantasy Draft (feat. der geist von Beckenbauer).  Which I randomly remembered and rewatched on youtube today, for reasons unknown.

I don´t know about the Italian half, up until the final ten minutes it looked as if England could still take a point or maybe even the win. Then they seemed just gassed and the subs didn´t help. The final ten (+5) were Italy closing the match down.

You get the feeling that if Pirlo, Marchisio, and Balotelli could play in some 3 on 3 thing it would be sheer terror.

Bring back that tournament on the boat from the Nike 2006 ads.

That was actually 02. 06 was Jose vs Fat Kid Fantasy Draft (feat. der geist von Beckenbauer). Which I randomly remembered and rewatched on youtube today, for reasons unknown.

I dont know why, but i always mess that up.

---

Very intrigued by upcoming Japan vs Ivory Coast match.

----

@PCarrESPN:

Italy completed 92.2% of passes vs England. Highest pass pct by any team in a #WorldCup game since 1966.

I'm transfixed by how much old Pirlo looks like a little tiny The Hound (DYING OF A FUCKING INFRECTIONINOGROJOJIPEO FUCK YOU GOREOUR RRRRRR RRRRR MARITING)!!!

At least they both about as likely to still be standing in a year.