DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

So what is the barometer for the US to have a successful World Cup?  All three teams are pretty tough.  Germany is a contender for the title, Portugal is also amazing but hit with recent injuries, and Ghana is a team we are going to have to counter attack to challenge them.  I am encouraged by recent play and I would love to see the US play well.  Soccer is a fantastic sport and a good showing would continue to help grow the sport here with the casual fans.  

I think that the US will struggle against Germany and lose but I feel like this is a game where we can show improvement.  The defense struggled against Azerbaijan and Turkey in our warm up games to look like a quality side really.  What I would like to see is that we keep our form and don't allow as many free runs in the box like did against Turkey.  There were at least two occasions against Turkey where there was at least 20 yards between our defenders and a Turkey attacker when the ball was played over the US defenders head.  The quality of German forwards will find that ball in the back of the net if that happens in Brazil.  The US could easily give up four or five goals if our defense continues to look shaky so to me showing discipline to stay in formation and midfielders putting pressure on the ball and not just sitting back would be a mark of improvement going forward. 

Portugal is going to look a lot like Germany.  Perhaps we can capitalize on some key injuries on Portugal's side.  I do wonder if we can pack it in early and frustrate Portugal into making a mistake.  I believe that we have the talent to do it.  I am not as certain on the execution.  One mental lapse, one poor pass, a lackluster clear and the US could be in serious trouble early.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24582877/the-injury-list-stars-set-to-miss-the-world-cup

Speaking of Ronaldo, the global star has been bothered by a thigh injury and left knee tendonitis. The Portuguese FA announced on Saturday that he was back in training, and that's huge for his country. He's capable of carrying Portugal deep into the World Cup, and there is a huge dropoff if he's not in top form. Pepe and Raul Meireles are also dealing with fitness issues. Exciting attacker Bruma (knee) and fullback Silvio (broken leg) are definitely out. 

I don't feel like Ghana is out of the US reach for a win.  In fact I'd say it was a game that they should win.   They played their best game in a long time against Nigeria and we'll need that form again against Ghana.  Against Ghana I would like to see the midfielders play well as I feel they will be the key in the game.  The US will need to counter Ghana and to strike quickly the midfield will need to be disciplined and capitalize on their opportunities.  As well as they played in the warm ups there were still several opportunities to connect with our strikers that were missed or balls placed in the wrong area to go forward.  Ghana's weakness is in their midfield and left fullback so those are where the US will need to attack.  Winning here would give the US a huge lift going into the game against Portugal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/05/world-cup-2014-ghana-tactical-analysis

The long-tested midfield partnership of Michael Essien and Sulley Muntari will be broken up with Mohammed Rabiu taking a defensive midfield slot to offer the energy and pace that the two experienced players can no longer provide.  Appiah’s biggest problem is at full-back. His best left-back is a right-back by trade who spends his regular season playing in midfield at Esperance, Harrison Afful, while his other options, Samuel Inkoom and Daniel Opare are nothing if not inconsistent.

I am SOOO psyched and ready for La Copa to begin! Was watching Despierta America! this morning on Univision and they did a silly prediction bit where they put a pea on a slide deal that could go either to the right or left, with Brazil on the left and Croatia on the right. Well it predicted Croatia which got boos and reactions from the hosts. So if Croatia upsets Brazil, all can point at Univision for calling it. But I don't think that is happening, Brazil will most likely win. Just ready for these next 2-3 hours to come and go and La Copa to start! 

This US team seems more built for 2018, but I generally liked what I saw in the warm-up games. I think our goalkeepers are strong enough to make up a bit for our questionable backline, and the injuries to our Group opponents also help a bit.

That said, we'll need at least 4 points to make it out of Group, and most have that possibility as beating Ghana, tying Portugal, not losing badly to Germany, and hoping that Germany beats the shit out of Ghana and Portugal (for goal differential). Is this realistic? I think so, but every point is going to be hard to come by and we could just as easily bow out 0-3.

This is definitely a world cup where some European powers go home early. Personally my money is on Netherlands losing out to Chile, but I don't see Uruguay bombing the group stage either which means either England or Italy are going out. And as good as they are Portugal are hardly a lock either.

Gonna be a good one.

Predictions & stuff

Winners: Italy beating Argentina in the final

Surpises: Croatia and Colombia

Top Scorer: Gonzalo Higuain

England will..... Go out in the groups

Things I Want: Great Football with star making performances and some pundits not being shit

Things I Don't Want: Brazil to win or Klose to become all time top goal scorer or England to win

All the Groups
Group A
Winners: Brazil
Runners up: Croatia

Group B
Winners: Spain
Runners Up: Chile

Group C
Winners: Colombia
Runners up: Japan

Group D
Winners: Italy
Runners up: Uruguay

Group E
Winners: France
Runners up: Ecuador

Group F
Winners Argentina
Runners up: Bosnia & Herzegovina

Group G
Winners Germany
Runners up: Portugal

Group H
Winners: Belgium
Runners up: Russia

Cannavaro looks like he's from the 1930s for some reason, he'd have made a terrific fascist. Imagine him in a black uniform.

Opening ceremonies are more an Olympics thing I think.

Although ITV just used the fact one was coming as a great excuse to play the Diana Ross 1994 clip again, ha ha ha. Awesome.

On ITV they keep asking Fabio Cannavaro about Raheem Sterling and he CLEARLY doesn't have a clue who that is. They asked him about him and he replied by talking about Rooney, then they asked him again and he mumbled something about it being the World Cup. He might as well have said "Look guys, I clearly don't know who Raheem Sterling is, give me a break ok"

I guess that's quite good news for England, some of their better players are quite unknown.