DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

1 hour ago, blitzkrieg said:

Comixology launched their long rumored subscription service "Comixology Unlimited." $5.99 a month(with a 30 day free trial) makes it price appealing, seems to cover most of the publishers outside of Marvel and DC. The actual issue selection is pretty disappointing. Seems to be the first 6-12 issues depending on the publisher no matter the length of the series. Probably something to watch and see how it develops but for now if you can access Hoopla through your library system I would say save your money.

My dream is for them to somehow convince DC to get in on this.  DC's New 52 is probably my #1 reason I got back into comics, but Marvel Unlimited is what got me to stay.  There are so many DC comics I'll never read, because I'm not spending the kind of money it would take to read all of those decade old comics.  If there was a DC Unlimited, I'd be more likely to read a bunch of their classic comics.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Many creators dicussing this on twitter, most apparently negative and wondering how royalties will work. 

I can see how that could be a problem, but they generally only have first collections up which is just enough to get you hooked on a new series.  Hopefully it will lead to people wanting to continue those series and they'll get their money on the re-up.  The issue I have with their library is that there isn't a good enough library of "classic" content.  Almost everything available is just the first run of current titles.  The reason I love Marvel Unlimited is because I get to go back and read stuff that I missed when I wasn't reading comics.  Almost all of these books are things that I've either already gave a shot or I'm not even interested in.  This would be great for someone who was just getting into comics and trying to figure out what they like, but for someone like me who reads numerous comics this is kind of like giving free ice to an Eskimo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Comixology has a Clone Saga sale on. All five omnibus volumes and the 'Real' Clone saga mini for $5 each. If you have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s, it's a steal. Even if the cutoff is Ben becoming Spider-man. 

I've got the physical copies because that was my childhood and while it's obviously messy, a lot of it is better than the rep. As discrete stories it's fairly fine and even good before the twists cause everything to implode into itself. Pretty fun the whole way though, I think.

Anyway. $5 a volume. Down from $20. Go nuts or ignore as applies.

6 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Comixology has a Clone Saga sale on. All five omnibus volumes and the 'Real' Clone saga mini for $5 each. If you have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s, it's a steal. Even if the cutoff is Ben becoming Spider-man. 

I've got the physical copies because that was my childhood and while it's obviously messy, a lot of it is better than the rep. As discrete stories it's fairly fine and even good before the twists cause everything to implode into itself. Pretty fun the whole way though, I think.

Anyway. $5 a volume. Down from $20. Go nuts or ignore as applies.

Marvel has also been working on adding it to Marvel Unlimited.

Humble Bundle has a Star Trek bundle up. A bunch of new movie canon stuff including the super decent Countdown, a lot of classic Trek comics including Gold Key and I believe the DC TNG stuff. Even if you're a DC fan more than a Trek one, $15 lands you the Legion and GL crossovers. Not bad. 

There's a solid Sonic one too even if the issues are scattered. Archie's Sonic series is weirdly consistently good and has been basically since the start.

Also Hickman's Avengers run is $4/trade on Comixology right now. Though if you have Unlimited it's probably on there I'd guess? I had a lot of trouble making it work right on my phone so I dropped it.

• 2 weeks later...

Comixology has a shitload of Image stuff on sale.  If you ever wanted to get into The Walking Dead, Invincible, Saga, or a bunch of other critically acclaimed comics, now is your chance to do so at a discount.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Comixology SDCC sale is probably the single best sale they've ever had.  DC has a huge buy one get one free sale, Marvel has most of their current comics on sale, Image pretty much has every re-upped their amazing sale from a couple weeks ago, Dark Horse, Dynamite, and a bunch of other companies have discounted their most popular titles.  I get paid tomorrow, and I'll need another paycheck by the end of the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Marvel has a BOGO sale on. Buy one get one of equal or lesser value free until the 5th. Includes everything including Wednesday's issues and auto calculates from top down  (I had two $5 issues and six $4 issues and one of those $5 was free without messing about).

On until September 5. Use the code MARVEL at checkout. Good chance to catch up on stuff you may have missed recently. Like say, King's Vision series to date.

17 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Marvel has a BOGO sale on. Buy one get one of equal or lesser value free until the 5th. Includes everything including Wednesday's issues and auto calculates from top down  (I had two $5 issues and six $4 issues and one of those $5 was free without messing about).

On until September 5. Use the code MARVEL at checkout. Good chance to catch up on stuff you may have missed recently. Like say, King's Vision series to date.

Amazon is doing 50% off as they usually do when Comixology does a BOGO. This tends to be better for buying digital versions of TPBs since Amazon discounts TPBs while Comixology keeps them at "list" price.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Balls.  Oh well, got her a $25 gift card with recommendations of Preacher, Fables, Doom Patrol and Animal Man in that order (because she doesn't generally "do" superheroes and has read all of Sandman).

If she doesnt do superheroes, i could see a lot of Animal Man metatextuality nit connecting. I would also warn her about the monkey issue. We had to keep one of my friends away from it because she was an animal rights person and knew it would upset her. 

She ended up passing on Animal Man more because I found my print TPBs (though she's not a super big superhero fan, I've gotten her reading some of my old Flash TPBs), and got the first 2 each of Preacher and Fables.  And I re-purchased the first half of Preacher, which I sold to dogwelder ages ago, to see if I like it better now that I'm less uptightly religious than I was in 2001.

Man. Preacher is great on a lot of levels, but realizing how much sexism and thinly veiled homophobia as well as other awful depictions-as-jokes make it in there (by the good guys, no less), I don't know that I can stop cringing enough to enjoy it as an adult. I still own the trades though and like the show so worth a try I guess.