DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

yeah, I didn't post the last couple because I forgot on Spire and PRetty Deadly has been a freebie 4-5 times before, but this is one to mention. (Still want to know what we missed on days 2-3)

Archie #1 and I nabbed Onyx #1 (Ryall basically doing ROM before IDW got ROM)

I'm surprised you haven't been reading Gotham Academy all along Brian.

DC 101 sale has some real great value gems at $6 a trade. Standouts include the complete Conner Power Girl (minus the Terra mini but still), the firat three double volumes of Secret Six, Robin/Batgirl Year One, the first two volumes of Dixon's Nightwing, the first three volumes of Brubaker's Catwoman and some more. There's other good stuff but those are all collecting two or more standard trades worth of material that is also super high quality. Check out the sale for yourself though. Lots of great stuff there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't read The Valiant, get it now.  Dead Drop is another stand-alone "prestige" mini, it's decent but not half as good as TV.  Bloodshot Reborn had a really good first arc but I've fallen behind.

I need to see if this covers the 90s reprints as well.

If you haven't read The Valiant, get it now.  Dead Drop is another stand-alone "prestige" mini, it's decent but not half as good as TV.  Bloodshot Reborn had a really good first arc but I've fallen behind.

I need to see if this covers the 90s reprints as well.

I stopped reading right around the X-O Manowar/Unity crossover, so that's like two years of unread Valiant. God I didn't realize it had been that long. I did finish reading Archer & Armstrong but I probably should finish reading Harbinger... This is going be an expensive sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Legends of Tomorrow promo on Comixology has a ton of weird shit, including the Roger Stern Atom series. I've always wanted to read it (because the Suicide Squad story that comes from the conclusion is SO GOOD) but it doesn't have a great rep, so we'll see how I like it.

Picked up that current Humble Bundle just for Stray Bullets and those two Saga collections, any suggestions as to what else in there is particularly worthwhile?  I'm already on board the Invincible train but I'm not familiar with much else.

There's nothing in there that isn't at least good, honestly. Wytches, Trees, Wayward, and Bitch Planet are all different kinds of great and what I've read of Wolf was terrific as well. Phonogram may be a top 10 comic ever for me, but I (and the creators) suggest Vol. 2 before Vol. 1. Both are in there if you got everything.

• 4 months later...

Comixology launched their long rumored subscription service "Comixology Unlimited." $5.99 a month(with a 30 day free trial) makes it price appealing, seems to cover most of the publishers outside of Marvel and DC. The actual issue selection is pretty disappointing. Seems to be the first 6-12 issues depending on the publisher no matter the length of the series. Probably something to watch and see how it develops but for now if you can access Hoopla through your library system I would say save your money.

That said, Comixology has a mess of good sales on right now. One you might not catch is Walt Simonson's Thor run... $5 per trade, 4 trades is the whole run. Use code WALT at checkout. Not a bad way to spend $20.

Also, the Humble Bundle has a Garth Ennis bundle going. $15 gets you everything he wrote at Dynamite including the complete Boys, Battlefield, and his Shadow run.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/garth-ennis-dynamite-bundle