DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

Huge Grant Morrison sale on Comixology right now. Final Crisis for $5. Seven Soldiers for $10. His Batman,JLA, and Action Comics runs at $5/volume (delixe editions so 4 total). Aztek and Flash with Millar $5/volume. Vertigo stuff too so WE3, Seaguy, Flex Mentallo, and Seaguy are all $5 each along with his Doom Patrol and Invisibles runs and some other stuff.

I already own basically everything in the sale (except later Invisibles as I find it kind of impenetrable) so it's not much for me, but if you haven't read anything I mentioned? Check it out.

Xer0 is one that had a lot of potential that it never reached. Priest talked a lot about what he saw as editorial incompetence--some seems legit, some seems like Priest being Priest.  I loved Chase and Chronos; I think Aztek is the one I latched onto hardest because it was my first experience with Morrison and I loved the idea of Vanity.

I found a complete run of Chase in a 3/$1 bin years ago and was so frustrated I couldn't get my friends to try it. Was super pleased when the trade came out so I could have a bookshelf copy and shill it (was working a shop at the time).

Related, it is still bizarre to me that the Rucka/Jock Batwoman run and Batwoman #0 have never seen trade. Bundle that with like...some of her 52 appearances and throw it out in HC for $20-25. So weird it hasn't been done.

That said, I'll never understand why they didn't let Wiliams/Blackman finish their run properly either.

How is Batman: Hush?  That is the only Batman collection of the ones on sale that I'm interested in.

Imagine if a bored Jr high kid wrote "The Ultimate batman story"  while stuck in study hall. With Jim Lee's bad art and you got Hush. I would say avoid it.

Timely answer.

Boom Studios is having a horror sale on Comixology. Mileage may vary but the complete Fall of Cthulhu omnibus for $10 is a steal. Very good horror. Day Men is also great and Hellblazer Masterpieces vol. 1 has some good stuff including a Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean story. Haven't read far into Barker's Hellraiser comic but that's likely worth a look too depending on how you feel about Barker and/or Hellraiser.

Big Supergirl sale on Comixology. The whole PAD run is $0.99/issue as a standout but I also thought Joe Kelly's run on the 2005 series was great, as was Sterling Gates and those are $5/trade. You can also get Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade for $5 and some other interesting odds and ends.

EDIT: The James Peaty and Kelly Sue Deconnick runs are also in there and also great.

• 4 weeks later...

If by some chance you haven't read them, Frank Miller's Batman runs are on sale at Comixology. For some reason the trades are all $7 vs. $0.99 singles which...DKR and Year One in singles are $4 each and DKSA is $3. The only one you benefit on is ASBAR at $7 vs. $9. (if you grab the trade make sure to nab #10 from the singles...has yet to be collected and is my favourite issue of the series)

Looks like someone inputting Dark Horse titles into Comixology goofed. Today's Empowered special and Itty Bitty Hellboy one shot were $0.99 which has to be a glitch/error. Still, jump on it fast if you want that price.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's an early Black Friday sale as 100% of their single issues across all digital platforms are $0.99.

• 3 weeks later...